• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

I'm not paranoid, I'm on the laid back side :lol:

But honestly I wouldn't worry if your buns are vaccinated. I know there's always a risk, but it's very very tiny for your rabbits. And far outweighed by the goodness you're bringing home for them :D

Thanks. I guess all the veggies you buy from a supermarket were once in a field and have been handled and transported all over the place so really i'm being a little bit blinkered by thinking they are 100% safe. But i have ordered my dandelion seeds which i'll plant in the garden ASAP before the winter comes.

Thanks. I guess all the veggies you buy from a supermarket were once in a field and have been handled and transported all over the place so really i'm being a little bit blinkered by thinking they are 100% safe. But i have ordered my dandelion seeds which i'll plant in the garden ASAP before the winter comes.
Good luck. I'm sure they'll grow fine. Mine are really slow growing but they're in little soil so that explains why.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hi all I've seen this foraging forum and I think it could help me alot as I'm normally very unsure about the foraging and identifying part.

I want to be able to forage safely and identify plants. I'm not even sure if I have a place to forage that is safe near me but can you guys at RU help me understand so much more to give my rabbits the goodies.[emoji38]

Please tell me what I should do?

Thanks all
Ali

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah you're right really :D

But stuff you grow in your own garden stands a chance of being fresher and more 'organic' than a lot of other stuff.

I saw on the other thread that you were growing carrots? My buns love the tops :D

Hi all I've seen this foraging forum and I think it could help me alot as I'm normally very unsure about the foraging and identifying part.

I want to be able to forage safely and identify plants. I'm not even sure if I have a place to forage that is safe near me but can you guys at RU help me understand so much more to give my rabbits the goodies.[emoji38]

Please tell me what I should do?

Thanks all
Ali

Find somewhere in the countryside, where the dogwalkers don't go.

Start off with about five forage items that you can readily identify e.g. blackberry leaves, ribwort plantain, dandelion, wild rose and hawthorn twigs. Once you are confident with these, then you can increase the variety of items that you collect.

If you have something you are not sure about, post a pic on here and one of us will be able to help.

if you have a printer I'd print this out http://www.actionforrabbits.co.uk/Toxic%20&%20Safe%20Plants%20v2.pdf& have a wander in a nice rural (as good as you can) area & try & match things. Maybe take specimens & bring them back to RU for help / confirmation with ID. A lot is out of season now. You'll know dandelions ? and brambles? grasses are excellent. Hawthorn & Rowan are really easy to identify as they have berries right now. Try googling images too. Its best to get confident with 3-4 & build from there.

ive noticed autumn changes too and ive become really cautious about what i pick concerning the vhd2, i dont pick from ground level unless i know rabbits dont go there. I pick mostly trees and rasberry/blackberry now. Vetch too if its high up. Im going to go and have a massive haul on ash, rowan, hawthorn, hazel, poplar, apple and birch before they all loose their leaves. Im going to be gutted when i cant forage has much.

ive noticed autumn changes too and ive become really cautious about what i pick concerning the vhd2, i dont pick from ground level unless i know rabbits dont go there. I pick mostly trees and rasberry/blackberry now. Vetch too if its high up. Im going to go and have a massive haul on ash, rowan, hawthorn, hazel, poplar, apple and birch before they all loose their leaves. Im going to be gutted when i cant forage has much.

Can you dry some of the tree leaves for later? :wave:

I have had a nasty foraging experience, I've always noted a pile of matted something hanging in a tree hardly any distance from my house. Took a closer look & saw long feet, then eye holes. Its proper given me the willies :(

I have had a nasty foraging experience, I've always noted a pile of matted something hanging in a tree hardly any distance from my house. Took a closer look & saw long feet, then eye holes. Its proper given me the willies :(

:shock::shock::shock:

Are we talking about something that was prevously living e.g. heron, or something that someone has placed there for fun e.g. like a scarecrow?

Oh dear :shock: I really hope it's not what I think it is :(

Find somewhere in the countryside, where the dogwalkers don't go.

Start off with about five forage items that you can readily identify e.g. blackberry leaves, ribwort plantain, dandelion, wild rose and hawthorn twigs. Once you are confident with these, then you can increase the variety of items that you collect.

If you have something you are not sure about, post a pic on here and one of us will be able to help.

I'm not sure there is somewhere near me that dogwalkers and/or wild rabbits go so what should I do.(i havent looked thoroughly but I know my area)

I'm not sure there is somewhere near me that dogwalkers and/or wild rabbits go so what should I do.(i havent looked thoroughly but I know my area)

Frances Harcourt Brown (eminent retired rabbit vet) doesn't really bother about a bit of dog pee on forage :D

Wild rabbits can go anywhere, even in your back garden, so you're not going to avoid those either.

I just forage nonetheless :wave:

Frances Harcourt Brown (eminent retired rabbit vet) doesn't really bother about a bit of dog pee on forage :D

Wild rabbits can go anywhere, even in your back garden, so you're not going to avoid those either.

I just forage nonetheless :wave:

Should I just try washing the forage before giving it to the buns?

Back