• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

What a lovely sight seeing all your many beautiful bunnies tucking in to their forage:love:.

mine have a right good selection for supper: plantain, rose, grass, hawthorn, cow parsley, raspberry, dock, dandelion & sticky weed.

Foraging is one of my fave things, I love the act itself, the fact that it is free & that it is the best way to feed my bunnies is the icing on the cake. I'm determined to dry ample supplies out too

I want to identify ground elder next. And that Jack in the hedge stuff.

This thread has really inspired me to try foraging myself now. I've ordered a copy of Twig's book, hopefully it'll be here by the weekend so I'll be all tooled up to make a start then. Just from looking around I think I've identified hawthorn and dandelion. That's pretty good for me :lol:

What a lovely sight seeing all your many beautiful bunnies tucking in to their forage:love:.

mine have a right good selection for supper: plantain, rose, grass, hawthorn, cow parsley, raspberry, dock, dandelion & sticky weed.

Foraging is one of my fave things, I love the act itself, the fact that it is free & that it is the best way to feed my bunnies is the icing on the cake. I'm determined to dry ample supplies out too

I want to identify ground elder next. And that Jack in the hedge stuff.

thanks j&b the jack in the hedge is all starting to flower about now, just crush and sniff lol.. ive had some looks from people.. do you have the raspberry from your garden?

This thread has really inspired me to try foraging myself now. I've ordered a copy of Twig's book, hopefully it'll be here by the weekend so I'll be all tooled up to make a start then. Just from looking around I think I've identified hawthorn and dandelion. That's pretty good for me :lol:

at least they are having 2 things from nature, we are all having a go. I bet they love them xx

found this tonight. Does anyone know if it is a wild rose type thing, it was next to lots of brambles.
DSCN0207_zpstg5skppd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0206_zpsjzlyntep.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

this thing i THINK is carpet bugle but i cant find if its safe or not so im not chancing it anyway. if anyone can ID it for certain i would be grateful xi was scared of even touching it.
DSCN0298_zpsouzxsovv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
bugle_zps7yynt86q.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

yes rose

By the way sorry I dont come on here to help very often - I am having a very very busy work schedule at the moment and am often not getting back home till very late (after10pm most nights) so little time to do more than sort and feed our buns before bed and ready for next mornings work.

thanks parsnipsbun, dont worry about not helping, i do mither a lot anyway lol.. Understandable you dont have much time to be on here. The rose is safe then i assume xx

Yes Rose is fine.

I think your other plant is a Bugle, but not sure which one. I've never considered feeding this to the rabbits and would doubt that it's safe (although it's apparently a member of the Deadnettle family). If I were you I would leave it to decorate the countryside :lol:

there are thousands of raspberry plants growing on my foraging territory (the long disused railway at the back of my house). I assume I can thank the birds. Last year they barely fruited, this year they are not getting a chance :lol: What does Jack in the hedge smell like?

garlic or onion depending on your opinion lol.. definitely fragrant anyway. i cant tell the difference with blackberry and raspberry or they are ALL blackberry. ive looked at pics and it says thorns and stems are thinner, but i think blackberries are like that depending on age so i will keep looking

joey&boo - Jack-in-the-hedge or Garlic Mustard to me smells of garlic, but also (probably because I hate mustard) of mustard. It's one of those plants that once you've ID'd it, you won't have a problem with it again.
With Ground Elder that to me also has a strong smell, sort of carroty. Ground Elder is horribly invasive in the garden. Once you have some, you really can't get rid of it even by digging it out. My rabbits aren't that keen on it, but I think it's like lots of RU rabbits currently, they're getting spoilt with choice :D
You're lucky with the wild raspberries. I have never seen these around here.

how kind of you kara. Im only just going on my morning one because ive had to take harvey (one of the dogs) to the vet so the buns have had some ive already dried for breakfast. Wll have to make it up to them now lol..

think this might be silverweed

found this today its only small and some parts of it were green and some were white, i havent got a clue what it is. Any ideas anyone
DSCN0313_zpsem9nvri7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0312_zpsxkg4uahw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Back