Page 32 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 1397

Thread: my foraging diary

  1. #311
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    11,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willow and squiggles View Post
    1 pink hawthorn (the flowers confused me at first)[IMG][/IMG] 2 alder i think[IMG][/IMG] 3 poplar i think[IMG][/IMG] 4 rowan i think[IMG][/IMG] 5 cut leaved cranesbill i think[IMG][/IMG]
    Yes an impressive haul

    Pic No 1 is a double-flowered pink Hawthorn. Was this growing in a wild area? I have not read anything to support this view, but I am nervous of any of the "bred for the garden" types introducing themselves into the wild and possibly outcompeting our native varieties (similar to Bluebells and Spanish Bluebells). Hawthorn is just so important to our native wildlife most of the year. The pink Hawthorn is double-flowered and I think it has fewer spines. Seeing this made me recall when I was ill and had just moved into my old cottage (not here), there was one of these pink-flowered Hawthorns in the existing garden. It was one of my coping strategies at that time to push myself physically as hard as I could (I know silly ) and so I sawed it down as I hated it so much . Anyway I digress, yes pink-flowered Hawthorn and yes must also be safe for rabbits.

    Pic No 2 - yes definitely Alder and have just compared it to a leaf picked from a tree in the garden here, which I know is Alder. It's on the rabbit safe list from the site I use. I have just never thought to feed it to mine.

    Pic No 3 - Haven't seen it around here, but yes it looks like Poplar leaf from the online site I use. And the leaves are pretty distinctive. Also on the rabbit safe list I use. I have never fed it and, as I think I've said before, I have this niggle about Black Poplar. This could be unfounded though as I can't find anything to support it online.

    Pic No 4 - Again I haven't see this around here (shame as the berries attract Waxwings in the winter), but looks definitely like Rowan and it's on the rabbit safe site I use.

    Pic No 5 - This is the Geranium we have the most of in the garden and yes I think it is Cut-leaved. Definitely rabbit-safe and mine like it lots.

    Your rabbits are in for a feast today

    I fed mine with lots of long grass, Geranium and Lemon Balm about an hour ago. It never fails to bring an enormous smile to my face, as they know exactly what I'm doing and wait for me at the corner of the run where I place the forage. The nearer I get the more excited they get, binkying round in a very small circle, so as not to leave the spot, almost falling over themselves.

    I think the Hawthorn blossom and the Cow Parsley flowers are really looking splendid this year

  2. #312
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    st helens england
    Posts
    1,467

    Default

    thanks omi the hawthorn was wild but i didnt pick any of it just in case, didnt id the rowan until i got home so never tried them on that either but they loved the geranium. i also brought home some green alkanet but they didnt bother with that, which im glad really because it looks so pretty where it is. Im going to miss RU when i go on holiday tomorrow night. I hope everyone posts some fab photos while im gone so i can have a look when i get back. My poor buns have to have all dried for a week because my mum doesnt know how to forage.
    I havent seen the hawthorn and cow parsley this much in blossom before, your right they are beautiful.

  3. #313
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    35,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willow and squiggles View Post
    thanks omi the hawthorn was wild but i didnt pick any of it just in case, didnt id the rowan until i got home so never tried them on that either but they loved the geranium. i also brought home some green alkanet but they didnt bother with that, which im glad really because it looks so pretty where it is. Im going to miss RU when i go on holiday tomorrow night. I hope everyone posts some fab photos while im gone so i can have a look when i get back. My poor buns have to have all dried for a week because my mum doesnt know how to forage.
    I havent seen the hawthorn and cow parsley this much in blossom before, your right they are beautiful.
    We will miss you too

    I hope you have a fab time and look forward to having you back

  4. #314
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    11,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willow and squiggles View Post
    thanks omi the hawthorn was wild but i didnt pick any of it just in case, didnt id the rowan until i got home so never tried them on that either but they loved the geranium. i also brought home some green alkanet but they didnt bother with that, which im glad really because it looks so pretty where it is. Im going to miss RU when i go on holiday tomorrow night. I hope everyone posts some fab photos while im gone so i can have a look when i get back. My poor buns have to have all dried for a week because my mum doesnt know how to forage.
    I havent seen the hawthorn and cow parsley this much in blossom before, your right they are beautiful.
    I hope you have a fantastic holiday We'll miss your photos too

  5. #315
    Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,102

    Default

    Another good day foraging Found some vetch and also the one pictured below which I need some ID help with please. The leaves have a suede-y feel to them and it was a low lying plant. Actually a lot of them about. No flowers with the leaves. TIA!

    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

    Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

    At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

    Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

  6. #316
    Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willow and squiggles View Post
    thanks omi the hawthorn was wild but i didnt pick any of it just in case, didnt id the rowan until i got home so never tried them on that either but they loved the geranium. i also brought home some green alkanet but they didnt bother with that, which im glad really because it looks so pretty where it is. Im going to miss RU when i go on holiday tomorrow night. I hope everyone posts some fab photos while im gone so i can have a look when i get back. My poor buns have to have all dried for a week because my mum doesnt know how to forage.
    I havent seen the hawthorn and cow parsley this much in blossom before, your right they are beautiful.
    Have a lovely holiday I bet you sneak out to do a bit of foraging
    [IMG][/IMG]

    Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

    At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

    Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

  7. #317
    Warren Veteran joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    9,007

    Default

    Bon Voyage Willow & Squiggles - have a fab time

    We shall be sure to keep your zen little foraging thread thriving in your absence

    I'm super excited as have found willow. Not the weeping willow I have to steal from local park after dark, but willow on my foraging territory. I am struggling to tell if it is Goat Willow or Crack willow - based on the catkins & thinner leaves I'm thinking the latter. There is loads!! So happy

  8. #318
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    11,472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    Another good day foraging Found some vetch and also the one pictured below which I need some ID help with please. The leaves have a suede-y feel to them and it was a low lying plant. Actually a lot of them about. No flowers with the leaves. TIA!

    [IMG][/IMG]
    I've no idea what this is I hope someone can ID it, especially as you say there were lots of them. It must be quite common. It might need to be another one to wait until it flowers.

  9. #319
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    st helens england
    Posts
    1,467

    Default

    thanks for the well wishes everyone but i dont think i had better pick any forage from fuerteventura lol.. imagine the questions at the airport on the way home when the see all the dried herbs im actually giggling out load at what OH would say
    scrappys little helper i havnt even come across that plant before, id probably pass it thinking it was a nettle lol.

  10. #320
    Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,102

    Default

    Thanks Omi and W&S. That one is going to sit in the "Do not feed" pile for now. I'll have to take a pic of the area I'm going foraging in. It's huge and there is such a variety of different plants I hardly recognise any of them! It's amazing in one respect but also a bit overwhelming for a novice like me. For now I'm just trying to zero in on the ones I'm fairly confident on and then try and gradually identify more.

    I've seen some which I'm about 70% sure are cow parsley. However I have also definitely seen hemlock in close proximity, with the unmistakeable purple blotching on the stem. Funnily enough a lot of the hemlock has been cut down, I hope no-one's been making use of it's, ahem, unique properties
    [IMG][/IMG]

    Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

    At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

    Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •