• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

she might be eating very little if shes new to you until she settles it. Doe she have a run attached, you could add a box and tunnel for her to explore, mine love to shred the cardboard up too. welcome to RU their are some lovely helpful people on here and im sure you will love it. xxx

She hasn't got a run yet, I've got to get her 1, when we're at home she pretty much has free reign of the garden. My OH is on maternity at the moment so she's comes out a lot during the day time. ASAP I'll be getting her a bigger hutch and a large run as well.

a took a few pic yesterday
pic 1 knapweed is now in flower
DSCN0837_zpshd6cvjgl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] pic 2 i think i found camomile
DSCN0839_zpshlrnw7zx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] pic 3 not a clue
DSCN0836_zps5vdtkz90.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

a took a few pic yesterday
pic 1 knapweed is now in flower
DSCN0837_zpshd6cvjgl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] pic 2 i think i found camomile
DSCN0839_zpshlrnw7zx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] pic 3 not a clue
DSCN0836_zps5vdtkz90.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Pretty Knapweed :love:

No 2 could be Chamomile, but could also be one of the Mayweeds. I'm not really familiar with these, but if you look at the leaves the Mayweeds' leaves look more sparcely feathery (if that makes sense). I think if it were Chamomile, it would smell strongly of Chamomile. As far as rabbits go, it's purely academic as they can have either :love:

No 3 I thought immediately was a Buddleia. But your leaves are alternate, whereas Buddleia are opposite. So at the moment, I'm not sure! Was it very strongly scented?

Last edited:
Hi :)

Well Bonnie the Bunny doesn't seem keen on her broccoli, cauliflower, nettles or pellets.......I'm guessing it's because she hasn't had them before as the people who have her to me were feeding her rabbit mix/muesli, I have seen her munching on her hay, just not sure how much hay she is eating at the moment.

But hopefully she will forget about the muesli and start eating other things!

Hi Jimmy and welcome to the Forum :wave:

When I took on a new bun, she had not had veggies before, and wouldn't touch anything green for many weeks!

I still gave her forage and few spring greens/kale. Now she eats them with gusto.

Freshly picked grass is usually a winner with buns who have never seen a veggie before, and of course it's simply hay that hasn't been dried :D

Hey :)

She's got plenty of hay in there and I put some freshly cut grass in there this morning for her, although she was hopping round the garden at the time lol so see what she has eaten when I get back from work later. I will keep trying her with veggies and nettles, and see what I can find when I'm walking the dog, may have to post a few pics on here whilst I am doing my research as there seems to be lots and lots of plants I've never even heard of, let alone know what they look like lol

Pretty Knapweed :love:

No 2 could be Chamomile, but could also be one of the Mayweeds. I'm not really familiar with these, but if you look at the leaves the Mayweeds' leaves look more sparcely feathery (if that makes sense). I think if it were Chamomile, it would smell strongly of Chamomile. As far as rabbits go, it's purely academic as they can have either :love:

No 3 I thought immediately was a Buddleia. But your leaves are alternate, whereas Buddleia are opposite. So at the moment, I'm not sure! Was it very strongly scented?

i think the pink thing is Spirea billiardii dont know if its save for buns though, what do you think

such good photos on here - Omi you may use them for your book :lol:

W&S - again I don't know, & if I did think I knew it would be the opposite:lol:

it bugs me when i dont know what something is lol... i know it is also known as bridewort but cant find anything about it being safe or toxic to buns so i will leave it alone.

I'd never heard of Bridewort :lol:

I've looked it up and it looks like a perfect match :) As to whether it is rabbit safe or not, I wouldn't like to say. If I had to guess one way or the other I would say it probably is OK as it is a member of the Rose family, but then so are some evergreens, which are not safe. I think it very unlikely that it would be found on any reliable internet list. If it were me, I would definitely not feed it.

Well I have seen her eat hay, although I don't know how much of it she is eating......I don't know what else she eats other than rabbit muesli as that's what they were feeding her on........and carrots. She's a good size so I'd say she does eat lol but I've only had her 2 days

It's very probable as willow&squiggles said that she hasn't really settled with you yet. I think if you bombard her with new foods, it might be confusing for her and in the long run counter-productive.

If it were my rabbit I would concentrate firstly on getting her off the muesli and on to a high fibre pellet food. You should be aiming for her to have a very small amount of the pellets, ultimately around an eggcupful. At the same time I would give her unlimited hay and I would continue to try her with small handfuls of freshly-cut grass. I would not give her carrots at all as they are high in sugar.

Once she has settled a bit more with you (say after a week or so) and is eating hay, pellets and hopefully grass, I would try small amounts of forage, one type at a time e.g. dandelions. You could also try fresh herbs such as parsley, coriander, mint, basil, coriander etc, again small amounts to start with and only one type at once.

Stinging nettles are OK for rabbits to eat, but it's one of the few foods that mine refuse :lol: I only feed vegetables if there is nothing else available or if we have it growing in the garden (kale and spinach).

Thanks for that. I'll keep trying her with her hay all day and pellets of an evening and I usually give her grass in the morning. See how it goes :)

Sorry to jump in, but, do you know what tree this is at all?

4ce05e9f40c642dc9797860b3d930ffd.png

No sorry, I don't know what that is:? The veins are unusually placed. I've looked at my usual ID books and can't see anything like it. Is it in your garden? How are the leaves arranged on the branches and what is the tree like? Has it got any fruits?

Hi there! I'm new to this forum so I hope you don't mind me butting in! I would just like to say what a wonderful, helpful thread this has been! I have always foraged dandelions and cow parsley for my buns, but never would have thought of all this other lovely stuff! Who knew there was so much wonderful, free food all around? :)

I have ordered Twigs Way's book on foraging, in the meantime, would anyone be so kind as to help me with an ID? I found this growing in my hedgerow and have tried to get it identified on several sites to no avail. I'm not sure if it's wild or not. Any ideas?
IMG_20160707_210445_zpscmlzs4hp.jpg.html

Back