• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

i know its a type of berry but im lost lol..

It doesn't look like anything that I've seen before :) It does look very interesting though and also looks like something rabbits could have :)

How large is the plant? The nearest I could find in my ID book was Cloudberry (the leaves look similar), but they are quite small plants and the flowers are singular.

if was quite large and i probably wont be going back there now until around march ( we went on a coach with dancing) i havnt seen it before.

I think it's probably going to remain unidentified then. Although the leaves looked like Cloudberry (from the ID book), that is apparently a small plant and flowers are singular. Tbh the buds in your specimen looked more like Rose, but the leaves didn't :?

its a mystery, there is defo a berry that looks like a raspberry inside and its greenish in colour, i will have a look when i next go back lol.. Im going for my big motherload again tomorrow for drying so will put pics on including any i cant id, which will probably be many. I think i purposely look for weird and wonderful things, or at least things i cant id.

for now we shall call it the Morrisberry seems that is the activity that conjured it up. I wet my pants slightly at the thought of someone Morris dancing whilst foraging :lol: I don't get out much from beyond the bushes so I'm easily amused. Then I read you "snook off" - spoil sport :lol:

Omi- the marvellous tree mentor of RU - thank you once again :wave:

i got caught off one of the girls lol.. i didnt intend on going but i seen all the weeds about and though oooooh im going, so i went to homebargains and bought some scissors and was nicely chopping some blackberry leaves and one of the girls pulls up in the car and beeps at me, i was mortified :oops: then i had to walk back in and they all knew what was in the bags lol..

i got caught off one of the girls lol.. i didnt intend on going but i seen all the weeds about and though oooooh im going, so i went to homebargains and bought some scissors and was nicely chopping some blackberry leaves and one of the girls pulls up in the car and beeps at me, i was mortified :oops: then i had to walk back in and they all knew what was in the bags lol..

:lol: its a very moreish activity, I'll be lost come winter

We've even got a Broad-leaved Willowherb growing out of the pond :shock: It's about 4 times the size of the rest of the garden specimens :lol: Presumably because of the nutrients in the silt at the bottom of the pond.

I'm going to start reading up on all this foraging and different species! If not all my bunny will be having is Hay, Fresh Grass & Nettles 😔, and Veg.

I'm going to start reading up on all this foraging and different species! If not all my bunny will be having is Hay, Fresh Grass & Nettles ��, and Veg.

Welcome to RU James. Foraging can get really addictive. It is a perfect diet for rabbits. I'm sure you can add dandelions to your list, they are always a favourite. Hopefully this thread will inspire you

Yes, good point I know Dandelions, and my girlfriends dad has a weeping willow in his garden :). With a willow, is it just the leaves they eat, removed from the branch or on branch?

Yes, good point I know Dandelions, and my girlfriends dad has a weeping willow in his garden :). With a willow, is it just the leaves they eat, removed from the branch or on branch?

all of it :lol: Its good for drying too, they'll love it

Welcome to the 'my foraging diary' thread, James. :)

My rabbits will eat twigs (fresh and dried) in their entirety as well as (fresh and dried) leaves. On larger branches (a local 'wild' tree has lost a huge branch lately), they just strip off the bark - River and Takumi are especially fond of this!

Hi :)

Well Bonnie the Bunny doesn't seem keen on her broccoli, cauliflower, nettles or pellets.......I'm guessing it's because she hasn't had them before as the people who have her to me were feeding her rabbit mix/muesli, I have seen her munching on her hay, just not sure how much hay she is eating at the moment.

But hopefully she will forget about the muesli and start eating other things!

Welcome James, this is a fun thread :)

You will realise that rabbits are first and foremost fickle :lol: I think if I were you, I would try just one new food at once and see how Bonnie likes it. It will mean also that you can monitor her for adverse effects.

Also whilst my rabbits will eat almost anything and will eat an awful lot of almost anything, what they seem to like consistently is just plain old cut grass :lol:. Also I think that by introducing cut grass, she might get the taste for hay.

Once you get to know which branches she can have, it's good to have one or two lying around so that she can nibble on them during the day. It prevents boredom and also nibbling is a favourite pastime of most rabbits.

Let us know how you get on :)

Hey,

You're all very helpful :) I'll be posting pictures of plants and weeds soon lol

I think she has had a boring life so far, as the inside of the door to her hutch is very badly chewed away, do they usually do this?

What else can I give her - apart from food lol to prevent her being bored?

Back