• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

im 99% certain this is herb robert. if anyone can give their opinion that would be fab x
herb%20bennet_zpse9fsqsp2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
herb%20bennet%20b_zpsgxhgwdv2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

thanks omi. im having a nightmare lol.. ive brought so many different plants home in my " to check bag" thinking they were geraniums and when ive checked they have been 2 types of buttercup and a wood anemone lol.. i was so excited as well. i will post my latest errmm... geranium want to be now lol.. please let me know what you think

You're not alone with the buttercup thing. Last year I posted a lovely selection of forage I was feeding my bunnies when someone pointed out the buttercup that I thought was herb robert or something :lol: Fortunately my bunnies ignored it.

I'm now feeding mine cow parsley thanks to Parsnipbun's help with ID. Its going down very well. The thing is all forage goes down too well, they have an incessant hunger for it that they don't have for winter veg. I bring back a huge bag every day & always mean to dry half but it seldom happens. I love seeing them pick through an assortment, mastering the thorns, casting the twigs aside (until I'm ready to sweep them up & they get interesting again). It just looks right compared to them eating spring greens & herbs.

im hoping this is geranium because there is plenty in a patch ive found today
DSCN0283_zpseb0bsxip.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN0284_zpslbtwug48.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm pretty sure that's a Geranium, but I'm not 100%. Mainly I think because it's not one that we get here. One of the ways to tell the Geraniums apart is to see how "cut" the leaves are. I've had a look in my book (I use The Wild Flower Key by Francis Rose) and it appears similar to Geranium pyrenaicum (Hedgerow Cranes-bill). I suggest you have a look at Google Images and compare with your specimen. The way it grows, particularly evident in your second picture, with leaves on the end of long stalks strongly suggests Geranium. Your specimen also looks very healthy :)

You're not alone with the buttercup thing. Last year I posted a lovely selection of forage I was feeding my bunnies when someone pointed out the buttercup that I thought was herb robert or something :lol: Fortunately my bunnies ignored it.

I'm now feeding mine cow parsley thanks to Parsnipbun's help with ID. Its going down very well. The thing is all forage goes down too well, they have an incessant hunger for it that they don't have for winter veg. I bring back a huge bag every day & always mean to dry half but it seldom happens. I love seeing them pick through an assortment, mastering the thorns, casting the twigs aside (until I'm ready to sweep them up & they get interesting again). It just looks right compared to them eating spring greens & herbs.

:lol:

Yes I remember the buttercup episode! They did look pretty with the rest of the forage though :D

:lol:

Yes I remember the buttercup episode! They did look pretty with the rest of the forage though :D

they did look pretty but they weren't even the right colour :lol:

I've done a little count up- I can do 15 types of forage (3 off my list not currently available)- if I include grass of course :lol:

I've done a little count up- I can do 15 types of forage (3 off my list not currently available)- if I include grass of course :lol:

I find that grass is actually well worth foraging. You can get some really interesting, stalky grass and some with fantastic seedheads. Grass is a big favourite here :lol:

Wish I could do 15 :)

I shall have to get to one of Twigs' Days and try and get better ... Yes I forage grass too - all sorts!

Awesome I love this thread.

J&B that's exactly how I feel about it, I chuck in a big pile of forage and they go crazy, they strip a hawthorn twig in the blink of an eye!

I got them a big pile of dandelions, plantain & hawthorn yesterday, I'll take a pic of what I find today :thumb:

Mine do turn their noses up at nettles!

i wish i could go too mighty max. Im waiting for my twigs book to arrive so ill take that with me when i go foraging. Im loving learning. At least we have the benefit of her knowledge on RU. i will look forward to your pics kara. I love seeing buns tucking into forage, it makes me happy that they are happy.

thankyou very much mighty max, i put my heart and soul into them buns. I think im sticking at two quads now lol.. The whitish one in the middle of the two grey speckled in the top photo and the large darker orange in the bottom photo really hate each other and cant even be nice through bars. Just goes to show not all babies raised with their dad will forever be bonded. willow (darker orange) the dad really loves his other son pepe (light orange) they are literally joined at the hip lol.. As you can see the babies are nearly has big as mum and dad.

just put all my dried stuff into paper bags so ive got room to collect some more for drying now. Will put some more plants on when i come back. thanks for reading everyone, it feels like we have a foraging group lol.. going to take my neighbor while im not going far tonight.

My rabbits today have enjoyed Cow Parsley, Red Deadnettle, Chickweed, Dandelion, Cut-leaved Geranium and different grasses :D

Back