• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

:wave:Do your bunnies not play tunes eating dandelion stalks? I don't think I can translate or explain any better. Oh you asked about the treats & I forgot to answer...I did feed them but only cos they softened up somehow. I'd decided against it initially thinking they love them so much I thought that might over ride their natural instincts to only chew on what their teeth can handle. I'm making even less sense now? :lol:

W&S it is good to have you back on your thread...I was fearing a forage calamity so pleasing to know it was access problems that are now sorted :)

pmsl with the pipe tunes. i think i know what you mean. Is it like a humming squeeky noise. Out of the 8 only willow does it. It did have me worried at first but its when he really enjoys his food, his eyes go all sleepy dreamy too. The others are just pigs and have a competition about who can eat the most the quickest.
joey&boo the only calamity ive had is being bitten by insects lol.. they love my blood

I'm fine & so is OH :) was a nice humanist service that summed up his eventful life well. Thank You though. Bunnies also coped without us for a night (a friend of his who has bunnies popped in to admire, feed & check on them)

I'm fine & so is OH :) was a nice humanist service that summed up his eventful life well. Thank You though. Bunnies also coped without us for a night (a friend of his who has bunnies popped in to admire, feed & check on them)

I'm glad you managed to get away for a night. See you can do it - now string some more nights together and you'll have a holiday :D

Re the pipe music, no my buns are singularly quiet eaters, apart from the teeth chomping noises x

its been a bit wet for foraging properly so mine have started tucking in to winter dried rations. I notice tiny plants of herb robert & plantain in the garden we definitely didn't have last year. I like to think Joey Boo & Mouse made them :) Is there anything new on the horizon? Willow herb is a pain to dry cos of the stalks, it takes forever

Nipplewort is available here. It's not very substantial but my rabbits like it lots. We've also got Hedge Woundwort, which I have always fed although it's not in the RWAF foraging book. We've also got lots of Willowherb now.

Nipplewort is unknown territory for me, from a Google of images I do think I might have seen it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Nipplewort is unknown territory for me, from a Google of images I do think I might have seen it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also, I don't know if we've discussed Common Mallow before, but there's loads of that around here at the moment. Fine for rabbits, but strangely mine don't like it.

I've not seen Mallow here (unless its not flowering yet) - I tell you, I live in a forage desert:lol:

You can't move for the mallow round here! :shock: The one I'm struggling to find is herb bennet and I thought that was quite common. I really want to find some as I'm "fairly" confident I can ID it. Thing is, there is such an overwhelming variety of wild plants near where I live (which is amazing for London!) that it's very east to miss stuff. Especially with all the bramble obscuring everything. Oh and I think I've spotted some red dead nettle. I'm going to pick some later and cross ref the ID just to make sure.

Herb Bennet is quite common, although most of ours has finished flowering now so it's not quite so easy to spot. Yes, I've noticed that we seem to have a second batch of Red Dead Nettle in flower. I didn't realise that it flowered this time of the year as well as earlier.

You can't move for the mallow round here! :shock: The one I'm struggling to find is herb bennet and I thought that was quite common. I really want to find some as I'm "fairly" confident I can ID it. Thing is, there is such an overwhelming variety of wild plants near where I live (which is amazing for London!) that it's very east to miss stuff. Especially with all the bramble obscuring everything. Oh and I think I've spotted some red dead nettle. I'm going to pick some later and cross ref the ID just to make sure.

MightyMax slowly turns green at the thought of all Scrappy's London forage :lol:

lovely walk today. Can anybody identify this please? the leaves look quite distinctive

IMG_3512_zpsxefgvzmz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3514_zpsiiie4cvh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Oh mm I was expecting wisdom acquired by foraging course then :lol: Took loads of wildie photos today on my forage, I swear they were binkying. Wildies really do look very much like my Joey:love:

Oh mm I was expecting wisdom acquired by foraging course then :lol: Took loads of wildie photos today on my forage, I swear they were binkying. Wildies really do look very much like my Joey:love:

I can do Herb Robert :D That's because you sent me some :lol:

That's on top of the usual dandelions, hawthorn and plantain.

I just don't get the chance to see anything here :( I thought I had found some cow parsley yesterday and then decided it must be hemlock and went home to wash my hands :(:(:(

lovely walk today. Can anybody identify this please? the leaves look quite distinctive

IMG_3512_zpsxefgvzmz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3514_zpsiiie4cvh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I think it's one of the Hawk's Beard/Hawbit/Hawkweed type plants. Could it be Spotted Cat's-Ear? I've never come across it, but it looks similar in the wildflower ID book.

Back