Page 211 of 218 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 2173

Thread: my foraging diary

I bet some of you are getting loads of forage already? Bob went to Hull & came back with some really lush hogweed. Here its still at micro stage

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I bet some of you are getting loads of forage already? Bob went to Hull & came back with some really lush hogweed. Here its still at micro stage
    No new species to what I was picking a couple of weeks ago. Most things looking much more robust now and growing more strongly. Yes, we've got Hogweed, but not a lot yet and I wouldn't call it lush yet

Wise Old Thumper

Let's talk about Red Campion

This plant has been producing small leaves and shoots most of the mild Winter that we've had down here. It is very popular here, particularly with Tui. It can be quite unremarkable when it's not in flower and so not easy to identify. However, it will be producing small pink flowers very soon.

So fellow foragers, if you don't normally recognise it, pick it whilst it is in flower and try it on your little ones. If they like it, make yourself aware of what the leaves look like and particularly how the many shoots arise out of the plant.

Your bunnies will thank you for it

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Let's talk about Red Campion

This plant has been producing small leaves and shoots most of the mild Winter that we've had down here. It is very popular here, particularly with Tui. It can be quite unremarkable when it's not in flower and so not easy to identify. However, it will be producing small pink flowers very soon.

So fellow foragers, if you don't normally recognise it, pick it whilst it is in flower and try it on your little ones. If they like it, make yourself aware of what the leaves look like and particularly how the many shoots arise out of the plant.

Your bunnies will thank you for it
    top tip, thank you. I've googled it & shall be on the look-out

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Thanks Omi, I really appreciate that. Red campion is one I haven't identified yet and it would be great to add another plant to the menu

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    Thanks Omi, I really appreciate that. Red campion is one I haven't identified yet and it would be great to add another plant to the menu

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    I find it's a particularly useful plant, because it produces, albeit small, leaves when there's not a lot else

Yarrow??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by nap91 View Post

Yarrow??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, I'm pretty sure this isn't Yarrow. I'll have a better look later.

could it be green fennel?

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    could it be green fennel?
    Yes, it could be You'd be able to tell if it is, because it will smell of aniseed if you crush it and also if you look how it comes out of the base, it should look as though all the stems come from a single source.

Still pretty sure it's not Yarrow, as the leaves are different.