Page 21 of 130 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171121 ... LastLast

Thread: my foraging diary

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    The other one I struggle with is some kinds of willows (I can tell the normal weeping one) v eucalyptus.
    Yes, I agree. I am amazed at how just how different the Willows are. My OH seems to be able to tell them apart just by looking at them, but finds it difficult to explain to me what criteria he uses. We have the weeping one in the garden and there are several different ones very close to the property, which I use for the rabbits, but I know them because I have learnt where they are growing, rather than by recognising key ID features

Mama Doe

Im going to have a million plants that i need to find again to take photos of when they flower. ive brough 2 leaves home today and id them as hornbeam and lime tree. They had been in my bag a while though so i didnt take photos of them. From checking about they both sound safe when leaves are young but not 100% yet so will keep checking. I would love to have parsnipbun walking round with me for the day so i could point and say " what that, and that and that"

Mama Doe

found some new things yesterday
    1 think comfrey[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] 2 think geranium type[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] 3 not sure if its one of the mustard plants[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] any ideas please are welcome if you have any xx going foraging again soon xx

Wise Old Thumper

That last one looks like Milk Thistle which is a bunny fav!

Wow, you are the queen of foraging! I had my elderly parents over this weekend so they had to join me on my foraging trip this morning. I've not identified anything new in a while. I want to find milk thistle now! I love the names of bunny friendly weeds.

I had to bin my dried dandelions suspected mould !! Pleased I dried everything individually or it would all have had to go

Omi - you said you can find enough forage to feed your buns over winter, mainly trees. I'd love to be able to do this for mine when winter comes but only ever manage grass & a few dandelions. What trees can you forage autumn onwards?

Warren Veteran

Yes, I agree with the ID of 1 and 2. Btw I haven't tried it, but Comfrey leaves soaked in water are supposed to provide a good fertilizer for Tomatoes.

With 3, I think, looking through my book, that it is either Turnip or Rape. The difference between the two apparently is that with Turnip, the flowers overtop the buds and with Rape it's the other way round. Based on that, yours looks more like Turnip, but it's difficult to tell.

With tree leaves I feed Apple, Ash, Maple, Hazel, Hawthorn and Willow (we have all of these in the garden). I live in the South so they probably last a bit longer here than where you are joey&boo. I find they usually last until Nov/Dec. Then they have prunings, mostly of the same trees, during Jan/Feb. By March there is generally something weed-like they can have. I also grow the tall Parsley for them to have during the whole Winter.

ETA I think you will probably find Sow Thistle more easily than Milk Thistle. It's more common here anyway. Still a big favourite with the rabbits and still exudes a milky substance from the leaves and stem when broken.
    Last edited by Omi; 22-05-2016 at 05:16 PM.

thanks Omi. You're absolutely right about the south enjoying a longer foraging season in the winter... all of those trees are gone a lot sooner up here

Love this thread. I bought the Twigs Way book and it came 2 days ago. I'm lucky to live near a wooded area and wasteland that I walk through to go to the supermarket. I took the book on my rounds and was delighted at finding several edible plants which I stuffed in a spare bag and have given some of to the buns.

Does anyone know whether forage that is safe for rabbits is also always safe for guinea pigs? I gave them a pile of clover cos I know they eat that but was a bit reluctant to give them rabbit-safe food in case I shouldn't.

Mama Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Yes, I agree with the ID of 1 and 2. Btw I haven't tried it, but Comfrey leaves soaked in water are supposed to provide a good fertilizer for Tomatoes.

With 3, I think, looking through my book, that it is either Turnip or Rape. The difference between the two apparently is that with Turnip, the flowers overtop the buds and with Rape it's the other way round. Based on that, yours looks more like Turnip, but it's difficult to tell.

With tree leaves I feed Apple, Ash, Maple, Hazel, Hawthorn and Willow (we have all of these in the garden). I live in the South so they probably last a bit longer here than where you are joey&boo. I find they usually last until Nov/Dec. Then they have prunings, mostly of the same trees, during Jan/Feb. By March there is generally something weed-like they can have. I also grow the tall Parsley for them to have during the whole Winter.

ETA I think you will probably find Sow Thistle more easily than Milk Thistle. It's more common here anyway. Still a big favourite with the rabbits and still exudes a milky substance from the leaves and stem when broken.
    thanks omi ive googled the turnip and rape side by side and i still cant tell which it is are they both bun safe if i cant tell between the two. ive been again today and found some other plants. It was a really long walk so will only be doing that on a sunday. i will post the photos. you are a mine of information xx

Mama Doe

todays findings sorry about my filthy hands1 [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    2[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    3 no flowers for this so i dont know if its a flowering plant[IMG][/IMG]
    4 this grows around everything [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]