• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Welcome home w and s. I hope you had a great time. I bet you were looking at all the plants there :)

i had a lovely time thankyou all. didnt recognize 1 single plant :lol: but yes i was looking. i couldnt part myself from the buns today but will be going tomorrow. Think my mum has been overindulging them they seem a lot bigger or it my be im imagining things ha..

Howdy my hearty foraging companions - what could this be? The flower / thistles stems come from the ground rather than from the leaves if that makes sense (well it doesn't make sense:lol:) but anyway

IMG_3358_zps8aneqxfr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Howdy my hearty foraging companions - what could this be? The flower / thistles stems come from the ground rather than from the leaves if that makes sense (well it doesn't make sense:lol:) but anyway

IMG_3358_zps8aneqxfr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It makes absolute sense to us "foragers" ;) I can't think what it is, but will have a browse through the flower book later. Who knows what you might have found this time :lol:

ETA The flower buds look similar to a type of Avens, although I can't match the leaves.

Last edited:

IMG_3358_zps8aneqxfr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

MightyMax goes as green as that leaf with envy at all the lovely stuff you manage to find :lol:

I am getting to the last scrap of the delightful forage I picked at Twigs' and the bunnies are going to be very sad I am not treating them to more ...

Where oh where can I find more variety :roll:

It makes absolute sense to us "foragers" ;) I can't think what it is, but will have a browse through the flower book later. Who knows what you might have found this time :lol:

ETA The flower buds look similar to a type of Avens, although I can't match the leaves.

Thank You so much Omi - I am very grateful / reliant on your input on this thread

MightyMax goes as green as that leaf with envy at all the lovely stuff you manage to find :lol:

I am getting to the last scrap of the delightful forage I picked at Twigs' and the bunnies are going to be very sad I am not treating them to more ...

Where oh where can I find more variety :roll:

Go on a nice country drive :)

Been out for a forage - avens everywhere & my trio approve

Good and good :thumb: Yes, mine like it too. I have to say though the one which grows here in the garden doesn't look nearly as lush as yours.

The Willowherbs should be in flower soon.

Good and good :thumb: Yes, mine like it too. I have to say though the one which grows here in the garden doesn't look nearly as lush as yours.

The Willowherbs should be in flower soon.

That's good cos I don't know which they are & flowers are of course great for ID

Does anyone know anything about grasses and importantly can anyone recommend a good grass identification website? Now that they are mostly all setting seed, it's obvious that we have several different grass species here in the garden. The rabbits certainly can distinguish between them and always select their favourite first. I have a suspicion this might be an oat grass, but have struggled to find a good online site to confirm.

I have so much nearby, shall I send you a bag? it's no bother :thumb:

Kara that is such a kind offer!

I have half dried everything I got from Twigs' forage day and am rationing it because they love it so. To be honest we can't even remember what we harvested apart from some hogweed, hops and meadowsweet.

Shall we continue this on PM ...?

For those of you wanting to ID Willowherbs, we have Broad-leaved Willowherb flowering in the garden at the moment.

For those of you wanting to ID Willowherbs, we have Broad-leaved Willowherb flowering in the garden at the moment.

I'm interested :) I have no idea about your grasses question - which will come as no surprise to anyone :lol: but on the subject of grasses...kind of...mine are now producing me perfect poos on a diet of forage & green oat readigrass (& hay of course, although they are less enthusiastic in foraging season). I'm so proud :love:

Raided the gooseberry bush & leaves completely dismissed by all three of mine so I'll not try those again as I'm inclined to think bunnies are wiser than us in these matters ;)

So about willow herb?

Back