Page 180 of 184 FirstFirst ... 80130170178179180181182 ... LastLast
Results 1,791 to 1,800 of 1836

Thread: my foraging diary

I'm managing to get most forage still from my garden, though there's quite a few goodies still around nearby.
    Enhanced by the recent rain storms!

Now I'm thinking of pruning geraniums, buddleia, nasturtiums, silverweed, rowan, rose etc there'll be even more

I'm WAAAY too scared to try foraging, but if I bought my boys a potted edible, for example a marigold, from a shop, would it be ok for them to eat?

Quote Originally Posted by perryandcalloway View Post
    I'm WAAAY too scared to try foraging, but if I bought my boys a potted edible, for example a marigold, from a shop, would it be ok for them to eat?
    I personally wouldn't because I don't know what chemicals such as pesticides might be on a marigold plant. I grew my own pot marigolds this year and I still have a ton now! I am only really happy to buy herbs and strawberry plants from shops that will be eaten by us. I would be interested in everyone's opinions.

What worries you about foraging?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Bam & Charlie

I don;t feel confident enough in identifying stuff, I know the basics but also don;t know what rabbits can and can;t eat! I live next to a national forest, and we have things like raspberry/blackberry, dandelions etc which I know, but when it comes to leaves...... Like I know what oak, sycamore, poplar etc are, but can rabbits eat them? There's an apple tree on the edge of the forest currently dropping like no-one's business, but can they eat this?

I don;t feel confident enough in identifying stuff, I know the basics but also don;t know what rabbits can and can;t eat! I live next to a national forest, and we have things like raspberry/blackberry, dandelions etc which I know, but when it comes to leaves...... Like I know what oak, sycamore, poplar etc are, but can rabbits eat them? There's an apple tree on the edge of the forest currently dropping like no-one's business, but can they eat this?
    The apple tree definitely yes! And very nommy too. I collect leafs and branches and they are a favourite.

I stick to easy forage such as:
    Hazel, Willow, Hawthorn, Yarrow and Plantain.

You could always grab a load of stuff, upload it here and everyone can help you.

I am a massive worrier but once you know a plant it's really fun and addictive. Especially when the buns go MAD for it ☺

Bam & Charlie

Can you buddy up with someone and have a go together?

Brambles are great

They can also eat apple leaves and twigs - they usually eat the whole branch, bark and all!

I do agree though, you need a fair bit of confidence.
    I use Twigs' Book "Foraging for Rabbits" then double check my collection with photos from the Internet.

I think Hawthorn is a good one to start with

Bam & Charlie

Gorgeous day so thought I'd see whats out there. Got quite a lot today: geranium, raspberry, plantain, hogweed, bindweed, vetch, willow, dandelion. Also sow thistle which took some finding. I dreamt I found loads of sow thistle so felt I had to get some in case it was a sign
    Its weird how many trees (rowan, hawthorn, ash) just have seeds or fruits dangling & no leaves at all.

Has anyone got (or can get) photos of ash and rowan for comparison please?

I am not sure I know the difference between them ....

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Has anyone got (or can get) photos of ash and rowan for comparison please?

I am not sure I know the difference between them ....
    We have a massive Ash tree in the garden, but I don't think I've ever found Rowan around here. This link makes it sound easy to distinguish between the two: Whether the leaves are opposite or alternate should be the key I think.

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-8zsjbc
    " We will remain friends until the end of days, and one day longer"......Donald Tusk