Page 148 of 183 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1824

Thread: my foraging diary

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Those are very large Hazel trees and they do indeed have a large crop It's interesting as the Hazel I forage comes from Hazel hedges around farmer's fields, so it gets cut down each year and is therefore much less prolific. It looks as though your Hazel branches are hanging down, presumably with the weight of their crop whereas the hedge branches grow erect.

I've not tried mine on Knapweed It always appears very stiff and dry and doesn't look very appetising. I haven't seen any this year yet. The forage is not brilliant here at the moment because of the dryness.
    I noticed the same when out yesterday. Everything is either tinder dry or bolting to seed.

Still managed to get a decent amount yesterday. In part because a blackthorn round the park has doubled over, and will inevitably be chopped down as a 'health hazard'. As for knapweed, mine have always enjoyed it.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:

*Nyssa & Zara cats*Aurora tortoise*Zeta & Theta guinea pigs*Rex-Rex & Uraya Hamsters*
    Missing rabbits Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Takumi, Apollo, Iris, Arce, Meadowbloom, my beautiful Elphie, & Erasmus Chipper
    Hopping Mad - Bespoke timber homes and accessories for small pets.
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

Warren Veteran

Ive been in southern Germany for a fortnight and walked through some lovely countryside. Huge amounts of wild flowers (aka forage!) here. I keep pointing it out to OH

Anyhow, I’ve just seen a sign at the edge of an amazing field with a hand drawn picture of a bunny and a cow with a message that translates as, “Thank you for not walking through our food!”

See, definitely forage....

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by SJH View Post
    Ive been in southern Germany for a fortnight and walked through some lovely countryside. Huge amounts of wild flowers (aka forage!) here. I keep pointing it out to OH

Anyhow, I’ve just seen a sign at the edge of an amazing field with a hand drawn picture of a bunny and a cow with a message that translates as, “Thank you for not walking through our food!”

How lovely

I have friends in Southern Germany (near Oberstdorf) and it's certainly a beautiful part of the world.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Quote Originally Posted by SJH View Post

I love that part of Germany

What a fantastic message! How are you doing? xx

Found this useful and fun site while looking up a friend's mystery plant http://www.gardenwithoutdoors.org.uk/. Dunno if it's worth reposting elsewhere?
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Its no wonder it takes me hours to come back from anywhere, I'm seriously obssessed.

Todays haul: buddliea, bindweed, knapweed, lavender, rose, hazel, ash, willowherb, willow, plantain (ribwort, broadleaf & really rather big), raspberry (smells awesome), herb robert, hawthorn, dandelion, grass (all fresh looking after the rain), geranium, blackthorn, vetch, rowan, hogweed, silverweed. I think thats it. This tables worth is perhaps half of it, I have a cotton tote bag stuffed with raspberry & 1/3 aldi bag still "unpacked"

There is probably enough raspberry growing to feed all the rabbits on RU.

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Can you get yellow willowherb?

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Its no wonder it takes me hours to come back from anywhere, I'm seriously obssessed.

Todays haul: buddliea, bindweed, knapweed, lavender, rose, hazel, ash, willowherb, willow, plantain (ribwort, broadleaf & really rather big), raspberry (smells awesome), herb robert, hawthorn, dandelion, grass (all fresh looking after the rain), geranium, blackthorn, vetch, rowan, hogweed, silverweed. I think thats it. This tables worth is perhaps half of it, I have a cotton tote bag stuffed with raspberry & 1/3 aldi bag still "unpacked"

Absolutely awesome, especially in this drought

How much will you dry?

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post

Gosh, that's amazing There's not much to be had here. It's all dying as it's so dry Got some left in the garden but not much.

Is this your yellow plant? There is no yellow willowherb https://wildseed.co.uk/species/view/83 I've never fed it and don't know whether it is safe.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Is this your yellow plant? There is no yellow willowherb https://wildseed.co.uk/species/view/83 I've never fed it and don't know whether it is safe.
    I read somewhere, unfortunately don't remember where, that it's a good safety precaution not to feed anything that's resident of bog and the like (in the link the plant likes 'permanently wet' areas) since rabbits wouldn't normally venture to them and so wouldn't normally eat them. That obviously doesn't mean they're toxic etc., as I expect rabbits wouldn't naturally come across banana, but it's a good rule of thumb
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Not sure how much I'll dry. Defintely the raspberry thats not on the table & I'll make some hogweed crispies. Boo assures me they'll get through it all in 48 hours

Gosh, that's amazing There's not much to be had here. It's all dying as it's so dry Got some left in the garden but not much.

No but I have that one growing locally. I'd picked one piece & left it on the table with the safe stuff meaning to post it here but Bob fed it to the bunnies!

I've just got a better photo

[IMG][/IMG] Its growing in with rosebay willowherb in vast quantities