Page 146 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146
Results 1,451 to 1,458 of 1458

Thread: my foraging diary

  1. #1451
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    9,518

    Default

    There are many things I'm just not confident about foraging unless I've seen it fruit. Apple trees (or are they) are a perfect example. I'm pretty sure I've located 2 massive ones, one very local but they have no fruit. Why would they have no fruit? Or have I just noy identified them right? I've not foraged from them.

    Found a broken willow (unsure which) this morning so raided that. Bind weed is very popular here at the moment

  2. #1452
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    Apple tree leaf is quite easy to identify. Take one that you know is Apple with you next time and compare. One of the walks we go on is next to a railway line. All along it there are Apple trees, grown no doubt from when people have thrown cores out of the window from trains years ago Don't know why they would have no fruit

    Yes, Bindweed is extremely popular here as well atm. Also Nipplewort, which I'm finally able to identify in its young unflowering form. Trick is to look for the basal leaves. They should have like a double leaf (not easy to describe you'd need to see it )
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

  3. #1453
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    9,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Apple tree leaf is quite easy to identify. Take one that you know is Apple with you next time and compare. One of the walks we go on is next to a railway line. All along it there are Apple trees, grown no doubt from when people have thrown cores out of the window from trains years ago Don't know why they would have no fruit

    Yes, Bindweed is extremely popular here as well atm. Also Nipplewort, which I'm finally able to identify in its young unflowering form. Trick is to look for the basal leaves. They should have like a double leaf (not easy to describe you'd need to see it )
    One of them is growing next to two smaller trees that are bearing fruit. The lack of fruit makes me suspicious. Poor barren trees. I'll have to look out for Nipplewort.

    I do love forage names

  4. #1454
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    9,518

    Default

    I've been irritating myself (although pleasing Boo) by covering the house in forage to dry for winter. Well I'm really excited to report that the mini bunny bothy Bob built is also an excellent drying facility. The top floor has mesh windows on the front & both sides for air flow, the roof can be propped open when there is no chance of rain

  5. #1455
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I've been irritating myself (although pleasing Boo) by covering the house in forage to dry for winter. Well I'm really excited to report that the mini bunny bothy Bob built is also an excellent drying facility. The top floor has mesh windows on the front & both sides for air flow, the roof can be propped open when there is no chance of rain

    Have you posted a photo anywhere? Sounds great!
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed


    Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

  6. #1456
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    9,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Have you posted a photo anywhere? Sounds great!
    I may have posted some of drying forage around the house but none of the bunny bothy as yet

  7. #1457
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    36,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I may have posted some of drying forage around the house but none of the bunny bothy as yet

    MM waits patiently for a photo of bunny bothy
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed


    Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

  8. #1458
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    9,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    MM waits patiently for a photo of bunny bothy
    I need to get Boo to model it but she's asleep at the moment. I don't want to awaken the beast ...she'll be grouchy. I'll ask her if she is up for it later. The fact that its full of drying forage might encourage her

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •