Page 146 of 146 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146
Results 1,451 to 1,458 of 1458

Thread: my foraging diary

Warren Veteran

There are many things I'm just not confident about foraging unless I've seen it fruit. Apple trees (or are they) are a perfect example. I'm pretty sure I've located 2 massive ones, one very local but they have no fruit. Why would they have no fruit? Or have I just noy identified them right? I've not foraged from them.

Found a broken willow (unsure which) this morning so raided that. Bind weed is very popular here at the moment

Wise Old Thumper

Apple tree leaf is quite easy to identify. Take one that you know is Apple with you next time and compare. One of the walks we go on is next to a railway line. All along it there are Apple trees, grown no doubt from when people have thrown cores out of the window from trains years ago Don't know why they would have no fruit

Yes, Bindweed is extremely popular here as well atm. Also Nipplewort, which I'm finally able to identify in its young unflowering form. Trick is to look for the basal leaves. They should have like a double leaf (not easy to describe you'd need to see it )
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Apple tree leaf is quite easy to identify. Take one that you know is Apple with you next time and compare. One of the walks we go on is next to a railway line. All along it there are Apple trees, grown no doubt from when people have thrown cores out of the window from trains years ago Don't know why they would have no fruit

Yes, Bindweed is extremely popular here as well atm. Also Nipplewort, which I'm finally able to identify in its young unflowering form. Trick is to look for the basal leaves. They should have like a double leaf (not easy to describe you'd need to see it )
    One of them is growing next to two smaller trees that are bearing fruit. The lack of fruit makes me suspicious. Poor barren trees. I'll have to look out for Nipplewort.

I do love forage names

Warren Veteran

I've been irritating myself (although pleasing Boo) by covering the house in forage to dry for winter. Well I'm really excited to report that the mini bunny bothy Bob built is also an excellent drying facility. The top floor has mesh windows on the front & both sides for air flow, the roof can be propped open when there is no chance of rain

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I've been irritating myself (although pleasing Boo) by covering the house in forage to dry for winter. Well I'm really excited to report that the mini bunny bothy Bob built is also an excellent drying facility. The top floor has mesh windows on the front & both sides for air flow, the roof can be propped open when there is no chance of rain

Have you posted a photo anywhere? Sounds great!
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Have you posted a photo anywhere? Sounds great!
    I may have posted some of drying forage around the house but none of the bunny bothy as yet

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I may have posted some of drying forage around the house but none of the bunny bothy as yet

MM waits patiently for a photo of bunny bothy
    Please vaccinate your rabbits for RHD2 as well ..
    Two more house rabbit deaths just confirmed

Reliable, up to date advice on RHD2: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...40#post7012340

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    MM waits patiently for a photo of bunny bothy
    I need to get Boo to model it but she's asleep at the moment. I don't want to awaken the beast ...she'll be grouchy. I'll ask her if she is up for it later. The fact that its full of drying forage might encourage her