Page 135 of 144 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 1438

Thread: my foraging diary

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I'm surprised its so hardy
    I was too! It's now with brambles in the 'stuff I didn't expect to be leafy in winter before I had bunnies' category. Also buddleia and wallflowers,the latter of which were FLOWERING last month.
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Wise Old Thumper

Has anyone fed this before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardamine_hirsuta? We have loads of it every year and I've never been able to find it in the usual places to check it's safe. However, it's a Brassica, so it should be OK I think. If anyone knows anything bad about it, please let me know, but Tethra had some today and got very excited about it (head-binkying around in circles ).

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Has anyone fed this before https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardamine_hirsuta? We have loads of it every year and I've never been able to find it in the usual places to check it's safe. However, it's a Brassica, so it should be OK I think. If anyone knows anything bad about it, please let me know, but Tethra had some today and got very excited about it (head-binkying around in circles ).
    difficult one to Google - took me to RU archives & pinterest. I'd risk it personally & since Tethra approves already.

I'm wondering how much this weather will delay foraging - I was just starting this time last year. Definite downside of snow! Can't even order Oaty hay as timothyhay.co.uk (understandably) are not taking orders til their couriers can get to them reliably.

Wise Old Thumper

difficult one to Google - took me to RU archives & pinterest. I'd risk it personally & since Tethra approves already.

I'm wondering how much this weather will delay foraging - I was just starting this time last year. Definite downside of snow! Can't even order Oaty hay as timothyhay.co.uk (understandably) are not taking orders til their couriers can get to them reliably.
    Tethra wishes it to be known, in case any of his RU rabbity friends are reading this thread, that whilst he did get excited when this plant was first offered, it was ONLY because he gets so little food these days, which is fresh and green. He will certainly eat this plant if nothing else is offered, but really much prefers Red Dead Nettle, Bramble leaves and Cow Parsley.

I don't think the snow will matter much as far as the start of foraging is concerned, but continued low temperatures might. The temperature is now above freezing here and so the snow is gradually melting. The Parsley, Coriander, Thyme and Mint growing in pots on the patio were covered with a thick layer of snow. This morning the leaves can be seen poking through and they seem completely unaffected. I think it will depend on how quickly the temperatures return to something reasonable in your area. Looking at the forecast for the next 10 days here it appears that we will have above freezing temperatures day and night. I think everything will quickly catch up.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Iíve been thinking the same - I was definitely picking little bits of some young plants this time last year. This winter is dragging on horribly. My lot are getting fed up of shop bought spring greens, cabbage and shop herbs I think. Iím out of everything I grow myself and thereís nothing nearby to pick at all.

Iíve checked Alys Fowlerís Thrifty Forager and, though thereís obviously no info on itís suitability for rabbits, she eats it all this time apparently - specially now while thereís not a lot else around. I would suspect wild rabbits might do the same?!

Warren Veteran

I've just been out snow foraging - not exactly hugely successful. Whereas Boo is eating hay I can't tell how much & some poo is looking smaller than I'd like. She is appreciating what I hope is hawthorn & apple twigs & soggy brambles. Snow is still covering everywhere

Sorry I never saw this when you originally posted it.

I'm pretty sure Twigs mentioned it at the Open Day I went to ... She would know the answer I guess?

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by orangediva View Post
    Iíve been thinking the same - I was definitely picking little bits of some young plants this time last year. This winter is dragging on horribly. My lot are getting fed up of shop bought spring greens, cabbage and shop herbs I think. Iím out of everything I grow myself and thereís nothing nearby to pick at all.

Iíve checked Alys Fowlerís Thrifty Forager and, though thereís obviously no info on itís suitability for rabbits, she eats it all this time apparently - specially now while thereís not a lot else around. I would suspect wild rabbits might do the same?!
    Looks to be an interesting book I remember you're a fan of hers. I like that she's a bit different to other gardening presenters/writers.
    "The mind tells me this is our new reality, the heart aches for it to be just a bad dream" Frans Timmermans

Wise Old Thumper

I've just been out snow foraging - not exactly hugely successful. Whereas Boo is eating hay I can't tell how much & some poo is looking smaller than I'd like. She is appreciating what I hope is hawthorn & apple twigs & soggy brambles. Snow is still covering everywhere
    I think the snow will provide insulation against the cold, so not all bad. Are these wild Apple twigs, or scrumped Apple twigs?

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    Sorry I never saw this when you originally posted it.

I'm pretty sure Twigs mentioned it at the Open Day I went to ... She would know the answer I guess?
    Yeah, I'm pretty happy it's OK for rabbits now. It's certainly a Brassica and smells like a Mustard. I guess it tastes quite peppery, which is possibly why Tethra is not mad on it (he dislikes Rocket). We've certainly got loads of it and it hasn't been affected by the cold.