• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

I can confirm that our area of Warrington hawthorn, dead nettles, cow parsley are all available. Hazel is just coming into leaf and brambles are starting to shoot
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I can confirm that our area of Warrington hawthorn, dead nettles, cow parsley are all available. Hazel is just coming into leaf and brambles are starting to shoot
Richard

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

You lucky thing ! I go via Warrington to visit folks who live in Runcorn. We could do coffee or have a foragey walk some time if you're in that neck of the woods !

My local bus services has reduced its service to hourly & I'm too impatient to hang round so doing a long foraging walk home. Its wonderful atm. Getting more than I need so drying will commence early, just hoping it will dry. Today got geranium, hawthorn, dandelion, first lot of ribwort plantain, hogweed, rose, cow parsley & hazel.

For breakfast I had forage. Tempura hogweed served with a pesto style dip made from foraged sorrel, hawthorn & (I think) wild garlic

If anyone needs pics of things I forage to help them with ID just say . I've said it before but any would be foragers out there - you couldn't pick a better time to start

My local bus services has reduced its service to hourly & I'm too impatient to hang round so doing a long foraging walk home. Its wonderful atm. Getting more than I need so drying will commence early, just hoping it will dry. Today got geranium, hawthorn, dandelion, first lot of ribwort plantain, hogweed, rose, cow parsley & hazel.

For breakfast I had forage. Tempura hogweed served with a pesto style dip made from foraged sorrel, hawthorn & (I think) wild garlic

If anyone needs pics of things I forage to help them with ID just say . I've said it before but any would be foragers out there - you couldn't pick a better time to start

I think it's all the rain we've had recently, but forage at the moment is really lush. Probably the best I've ever seen it here. I really hate the rain, so it's really good to be able to find at least one benefit from it.

You actually make me feel quite lazy as I can get all of those plants you got today here in the garden atm :) Plus we have super Red Campion (not yet in flower) and lots of Red Deadnettle and Chickweed. Both bunnies also this year are eating Cleavers, which is a first. Perhaps they are more juicy with more moisture.

I'm jealous of your breakfast though. Firstly I don't think I've ever seen Sorrel growing in the wild. Also my dream is to cultivate Wild Garlic at the bottom of the garden, but I don't know anywhere near here where it grows. If it gets to the end of the season and you could find some seedheads, please, please could you post some to me :)

Just to add, foraging for humans and not for bunnies, there are some wonderful specimens of St Georges Mushrooms around here currently. I had some for lunch. Most years they are not so juicy and are ravaged sometimes by little grubs, but this year they are large, delicious and perfectly clean :)

Last edited:
I think it's all the rain we've had recently, but forage at the moment is really lush. Probably the best I've ever seen it here. I really hate the rain, so it's really good to be able to find at least one benefit from it.

You actually make me feel quite lazy as I can get all of those plants you got today here in the garden atm :) Plus we have super Red Campion (not yet in flower) and lots of Red Deadnettle and Chickweed. Both bunnies also this year are eating Cleavers, which is a first. Perhaps they are more juicy with more moisture.

I'm jealous of your breakfast though. Firstly I don't think I've ever seen Sorrel growing in the wild. Also my dream is to cultivate Wild Garlic at the bottom of the garden, but I don't know anywhere near here where it grows. If it gets to the end of the season and you could find some seedheads, please, please could you post some to me :)

Just to add, foraging for humans and not for bunnies, there are some wonderful specimens of St Georges Mushrooms around here currently. I had some for lunch. Most years they are not so juicy and are ravaged sometimes by little grubs, but this year they are large, delicious and perfectly clean :)

No problem Omi, I'll uproot some wild garlic for you :lol: I mean seeds. I didnt actually have anything to do with the hogweed other than eating it. One of the chefs is into people foraging & as it was quiet he got a bit experimental & we enjoyed (staff not restaurant snacks). He may well have got the Sorrel from his garden

No problem Omi, I'll uproot some wild garlic for you :lol: I mean seeds. I didnt actually have anything to do with the hogweed other than eating it. One of the chefs is into people foraging & as it was quiet he got a bit experimental & we enjoyed (staff not restaurant snacks). He may well have got the Sorrel from his garden

Thank you :D

Sorrel does grow wild, but I've never found it. I'm also feeding Lemon Balm at the moment.

Thanks Omi! I have just started foraging. After you messaged I worked out I have the Twigs Way book. Thanks so much for looking though

Yes it’s not too bad. The Apple phone helps you identify plants, but it can often be wrong so I always triple check. Much cheaper than buying herbs! They love dandelion. Discovered that some plant growing over our fence is rabbit sage which is good.

I’m seeing my mum more and she has lots of stuff in her garden including lemon balm.

Yes it’s not too bad. The Apple phone helps you identify plants, but it can often be wrong so I always triple check. Much cheaper than buying herbs! They love dandelion. Discovered that some plant growing over our fence is rabbit sage which is good.

I’m seeing my mum more and she has lots of stuff in her garden including lemon balm.

Lemon balm is a fave here. You could maybe take a cutting from your mums plant I took cuttings from mine so I could have more. Its fab cos it goes quite late into the season

It goes down half well here! Do I put the cutting in glass, and wait for the roots to pop out? Then plant it?

Also do you happen to know what will grow in a shady garden?

Thanks

Thanks

Strawberries will grow under some bushes - although they may not fruit. I use them as ground cover under gooseberries, etc on the allotment. Leaves are good for rabbits. Flowers look pretty. You can get pink and red flowered versions, as well as the usual white flowers.

Mint is tolerant of most conditions. There are lots of different ones. They can spread a lot, although I've not had issues with it getting unmanageable if it's regularly kept in check. It doesn't root very deeply, so it's fairly easy to pull up. Bees love the flowers.

Violets. Everywhere. The rabbits keep them down on the lawn but maaan they're everywhere, it's great! I bought two tiny pots over from our previous house, literally just dug them out of the garden, then planted them right at the base of the oak tree and now they've spread to the front XD We moved in in early 2012. As bunny-safe ground cover they are hard to beat! Also dead easy to pull up.

Thanks Shimmer and Keletkezes these are helpful tips- I had no idea rabbits could eat violets! So based on your advice I bought the following at B and Q! Our very small front garden is paved but has sunlight, so we would put the things below in pots.

Our backyard is paved, which I don't particularly like, but some of it gets some sun, and is East facing. Again we would need to put the things below in pots

Do I put these plants in enormous pots? Is there anything else I need to do? I have no idea what I am doing.

- Lemon balm
- Broccoli plant
- Sage
- Raspberry plant (this one is large)
- Mint (I am thinking large pot based on what you have said Shimmer)
- Violets (thanks keletkezes)

Thanks Shimmer and Keletkezes these are helpful tips- I had no idea rabbits could eat violets! So based on your advice I bought the following at B and Q! Our very small front garden is paved but has sunlight, so we would put the things below in pots.

Our backyard is paved, which I don't particularly like, but some of it gets some sun, and is East facing. Again we would need to put the things below in pots

Do I put these plants in enormous pots? Is there anything else I need to do? I have no idea what I am doing.

- Lemon balm
- Broccoli plant
- Sage
- Raspberry plant (this one is large)
- Mint (I am thinking large pot based on what you have said Shimmer)
- Violets (thanks keletkezes)

I would put the large raspberry plant in your largest pot. I'm not sure how much success you will get from putting Broccoli in a pot, but again the pot would need to be quite large. Also watch out for Large and Small White Butterflies on the Broccoli. They will lay eggs, which will hatch into caterpillars, which will eat the leaves. A piece of netting over the top would do the trick. Lemon Balm will spread outwards and is also quite tall, so a medium size pot for this. Next size down would be for the Mint, which will also spread outwards, and the Sage. The Violets will spread outwards, but won't grow much taller than 5-6 in in height, so a smaller pot would be OK.

Thanks Omi, I followed all of your advice. Put the raspberry one in a massive pot. I also put the others in smaller pots. I didn’t know about the broccoli butterflies- so useful to know.

I’m now watching everything grow 😊

Thanks Omi, I followed all of your advice. Put the raspberry one in a massive pot. I also put the others in smaller pots. I didn’t know about the broccoli butterflies- so useful to know.

I’m now watching everything grow [emoji4]
Yea prepare for war against the cabbage whites! [emoji38] Make sure your netting is fairly small too, and held away from the leaves.. Because they will lay their eggs through the netting if there's a leaf close enough [emoji58]

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

It's feeling like the beginning of the end of the Summer, that we haven't really had :( Noticed yesterday that the Cow Parsley has started to produce brand new leaves. Also got a fantastic new crop of Red Deadnettle and Chickweed.

Back