• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

It's interesting with grass. Tui is enthusiastic about all grass, but she and previous bunnies have always prefered the shorter, younger grass before it flowers. This I find is different to most forage and twigs, where buds and flowers are picked off first. Interesting observations :)
Mine sometimes eat seedy grass, sometimes not. They like the oat-like stuff, when it's JUST right, and they really like that super-invasive garden ornamental grass that's quite tall and clumpy and had big long seedheads of small seeds in a cylinder shape (we found a couple of strands last week :S), they nommed the heads off that second only to eating the middle of it! But they really like dried heads...? Weird.

I recall my 1980s American book about Netherland Dwarfs said rabbits don't like sitting in long grass: it's often wet, hard to see over, etc. My wild observations over the past year has confirmed this: they avoid the meadow now the grass is about 3' high and stick to the undergrowth where the grass is shorter, even avoiding the mown paths beyond where they meet undergrowth. The babies are only seen on short verges and big mown areas, and a colleague at the Air Museum saw a teeny tiny just-out-of-burrow one the other day: the grass is well-kept there so no long stuff! Perfect :D

Of course, it could be that we just can't see the bunnies in the long grass :lol: But we're pretty sure they're not there, or not as there as they are in winter after it's been mown!

this is what i thought might be nipplewort but back home the leaves look wrong. Any ideas:
R5ixICJl.jpg

this is what i thought might be nipplewort but back home the leaves look wrong. Any ideas:
R5ixICJl.jpg
[/IMG]

Certainly not Nipplewort. I think it's one of the Mustard family. I'd go for Charlock.

Nipplewort is a weaker looking plant and as you say the leaves are wrong.

It's probably not on any bunny-safe lists, but is more than likely OK.

There is reed grass very attractively twirled with bind weed in one of my favourite spots - it must be 8 foot tall. I have to fold it lots to go in the bag but then ceremoniously lay it on the floor for the bunnies...who proceed to just chew off the bindweed :lol: I've never felt this before but summer foraging is pants compared to Spring, I like it when you delicately explore rather than straddle a million nettles & thistles to get to a once brilliant place to find bird poo splatters & cuckoo spit. What is the point of nettles?

However I am excited to see golden rod - not flowering here yet. After golden rod knapweed follows & a type of sow thistle

mouseys favourite willow (I have to walk 2-3 miles for) dries rubbish - like rosemary

these are my uninteresting foraging updates :lol:

There is reed grass very attractively twirled with bind weed in one of my favourite spots - it must be 8 foot tall. I have to fold it lots to go in the bag but then ceremoniously lay it on the floor for the bunnies...who proceed to just chew off the bindweed :lol: I've never felt this before but summer foraging is pants compared to Spring, I like it when you delicately explore rather than straddle a million nettles & thistles to get to a once brilliant place to find bird poo splatters & cuckoo spit. What is the point of nettles?

However I am excited to see golden rod - not flowering here yet. After golden rod knapweed follows & a type of sow thistle

mouseys favourite willow (I have to walk 2-3 miles for) dries rubbish - like rosemary

these are my uninteresting foraging updates :lol:

I very much agree. Spring foraging is all about fresh, young leaves. By this time of the year, a lot begins to look tired. We don't see much Golden Rod here, but I notice the Common Mallow is starting to appear everywhere. I also have realised, same as you, that whereas we may think long grass with seedheads is quite lovely, bunnies seem to prefer short cut pieces of fresh green grass. Bindweed must be extremely tasty, as it gets pounced on here.

Oh god yes, I totally agree, Omi and J&B! There's one patch I can get cowparsely from still and it's only because it gets periodically mown!

broadleaf plantain is Mouse's new favourite. I've never known any plantain be a favourite of any rabbit of mine. I'm hoping her higher fibre choices will be evident in a better quality of poop

broadleaf plantain is Mouse's new favourite. I've never known any plantain be a favourite of any rabbit of mine. I'm hoping her higher fibre choices will be evident in a better quality of poop

Bless her, I think they know what is good for them sometimes:love:

Back