• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

That is a super lot to collect, W&S :) It's also a guessing game, trying to identify all the different piles. I think I've got most of them, but not all :lol:

I've been trying to find into on camillas. The neighbours behind me have a massive one and are chopping it down. They asked if the buns could have it. I've looked and all I can find is gardeners warning to put netting round it because the wild rabbits love it. Has anyone found any info on any rabbit sites about it?

I've been trying to find into on camillas. The neighbours behind me have a massive one and are chopping it down. They asked if the buns could have it. I've looked and all I can find is gardeners warning to put netting round it because the wild rabbits love it. Has anyone found any info on any rabbit sites about it?

I don't know about Camellias and I suspect it might be difficult to find out. Personally I avoid feeding anything which is evergreen and so wouldn't feed it. I suspect Camellias aren't toxic, but I just wouldn't want to take the chance.

Thanks omi. That's what was confusing me. I never feed anything evergreen, but read that wild buns eat them. I'm not going to feed it. Nobody knows how the wild buns react after eating them. There is so much out there I don't need the camillas. I can't wait for free leaves to come out.

Been on another mega haul today, 2 shopping trolleys full. It's forecast rain for 4 days so I wanted to have enough for a couple of days. British weather forecasts are not always right but I don't fancy foraging for 4 days in the rain. I'm really loving being out therewith nature and my hubby can almost identify as much as me now. I'm learning him trees this year. Hope everyone and everybun is managing to get some fresh goodies.

Been on another mega haul today, 2 shopping trolleys full. It's forecast rain for 4 days so I wanted to have enough for a couple of days. British weather forecasts are not always right but I don't fancy foraging for 4 days in the rain. I'm really loving being out therewith nature and my hubby can almost identify as much as me now. I'm learning him trees this year. Hope everyone and everybun is managing to get some fresh goodies.

Well, we were forecast rain and didn't get a drop :(

I agree it's a wonderful time of the year :love: Everywhere is bursting into life. Foraging is really worthwhile, birds are nesting and there's so much beautiful blossom.

wow. By shoppng trolleys you mean the big metal things on wheels? That's amazing

I'm not actually minding going out in rain (& recently hail) as at least when I get there there's plenty to pick.

What tree leaves do people pick? I only get Ash, Rowan, Willow, Hawthorn & Apple

What tree leaves do people pick? I only get Ash, Rowan, Willow, Hawthorn & Apple
Hawthorn, hazel and willow, a little apple, sometimes we'll feed birch if we do pruning. We tried feeding them rowan when we pruned our tree but they weren't fussed. We feed whole twigs and hawthorn and apple will get well chewed. Willow twigs/branches last a long time and provide lots of chew opportunities for Little Miss ChewChew :) Ditto bramble TBH.

Yesterday out foraging I was walking past a field of cows. They were all grazing except one who was looking over the fence. I had a wee chat as I passed (hey you beautiful, what you doing all on your lonesome). She then starts running really fast. At first I thought she was joining the others but she was running in the direction of me. Then the others joined in. There was a scary vibe when they were running but they settled at the fence, when I carried on walking they were keen to follow me around the fence perimeter as fast as they could. I've come to expect this behaviour from ponies but any thoughts why cows would behave like this?

Never found Rowan, but all of the others plus Pear and Hazel (which I think you also pick) and plus Alder and Field Maple.

We have so much Rowan round here. I reckon if it grows it'll be prolific on account of all those berries that seem to stick round forever. I do pick Hazel you're right

Yesterday out foraging I was walking past a field of cows. They were all grazing except one who was looking over the fence. I had a wee chat as I passed (hey you beautiful, what you doing all on your lonesome). She then starts running really fast. At first I thought she was joining the others but she was running in the direction of me. Then the others joined in. There was a scary vibe when they were running but they settled at the fence, when I carried on walking they were keen to follow me around the fence perimeter as fast as they could. I've come to expect this behaviour from ponies but any thoughts why cows would behave like this?

Perhaps it was about the time they are normally fed and perhaps they thought you had the food :) I know little about cows to be honest and am not even sure they get food supplementary to grass at this time of the year.

Perhaps it was about the time they are normally fed and perhaps they thought you had the food :) I know little about cows to be honest and am not even sure they get food supplementary to grass at this time of the year.

That does make sense. Our old landlord when we lived in Trawden the first time had a field of sheepies to the back of our house & they'd all run up to the fence as I came home from work because it coincided with their feeding time:love: I'll see what C&D thinks when I take her out foraging there:lol:

Decided in my wisdom to walk the 6 miles to old house as decided needed to raid the apple tree there. It took forever to walk there & I'd forgotten to call Bob & let him know to pick me up. Started the walk back 'over the tops'. My god it was so hilly & my forage felt so heavy & body so broken. i ended up getting lost anyway & Bob had to rescue me. Over the top way where nobody in their right mind would walk, there was loads & loads of plantain & not a dog poo in sight. I could barely bend to get it though:lol: Then we went to the cashpoint outside a shop, popped in for loo roll & had completely lost the £20

Decided in my wisdom to walk the 6 miles to old house as decided needed to raid the apple tree there. It took forever to walk there & I'd forgotten to call Bob & let him know to pick me up. Started the walk back 'over the tops'. My god it was so hilly & my forage felt so heavy & body so broken. i ended up getting lost anyway & Bob had to rescue me. Over the top way where nobody in their right mind would walk, there was loads & loads of plantain & not a dog poo in sight. I could barely bend to get it though:lol: Then we went to the cashpoint outside a shop, popped in for loo roll & had completely lost the £20

:shock:

I hope it didn't rain as well! I also think it's sad as there's no way that Mousey could understand to appreciate so much effort.

I hope you don't ache too much this morning.

Not an adventure I'd care to repeat:lol: The sun came out at the end though that was with hill walking so not really appreciated. Feel ok today - more sore about losing 20 squid 2 seconds after getting it

The bunnies are enjoying it though Boobly was yodelling below the drier earlier:lol: - she knows its there but this year I have a raid proof system

Not an adventure I'd care to repeat:lol: The sun came out at the end though that was with hill walking so not really appreciated. Feel ok today - more sore about losing 20 squid 2 seconds after getting it

The bunnies are enjoying it though Boobly was yodelling below the drier earlier:lol: - she knows its there but this year I have a raid proof system

harsh. poor Boobles :(

Back