Page 123 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123
Results 1,221 to 1,229 of 1229

Thread: my foraging diary

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    My rabbits are trained to eat seasonally They don't get apple leaves until the Autumn when they are of no further use to the trees.

Yes, I agree, identification of trees becomes easier when you know where they are located I don't feed very much Blackthorn. I'm always a bit nervous as it's from the plum family, although I also think that we become too wary about toxicity (I'm cheered by the FHB article). I think Thumps used to say to feed it after the sloes have appeared However, I can usually find other leaves to feed instead. Hazel and Ash are usually easy to identify. My rabbits are indicating that Hawthorn is particularly tasty at the moment
    That's it - blackthorn after berries...no wonder I forget, I'm worried about picking the berries by accident before they are ripe enough for gin. I'm pleased you mentioned hazel. We have loads & I've been meaning to check before picking. Google confirms I'm on track.

I've never found much Vetch of any sort very close to me. So this year I have grown some Common Vetch and some Tufted Vetch from seed. Vetch is described online as being invasive and I can understand that as, whilst the seedlings appear to be quite delicate they are already branching out quite wildly. I need to get them planted out.

I don't see much Pineapple Mayweed.

Is Yuki Doodle a fan of forage?

It must be stunning to live close to a fen You must see loads of Dragonflies
    Oh I hope they enjoy the vetch you've grown! Based on what I've seen out and about, I think I'd only grow it in pots.

Yuki adores forage. When I'm sorting out dried forage and putting in things to dry, he's always nicking extra bits to taste himself. Arce is much better behaved and lets me get on with it.

Not at the moment, but in high summer, down the stream there will be loads. I saw a frog huddled in some cow parsley yesterday.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:
    Bunnies: Elphie & Selene, Helios & Morningstar, Athena, Erasmus & Rivergrace, Persephone & Morpheus, Arce & Yuki
    Cats: Brannigan, Nyssa, Zara, & Ajali
    Tortoise: Aurora
    Gone, but not forgotten: Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Bee, Takumi, Apollo, Iris

T. L. Cowell - Author & Freelance Writer
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

Mine are enjoying hawthorn, willow and beech atm oh and fresh grass. They are most excited by the willow.

J&B yes of course you must go to your old haunt, Ted is asking why you are even questoning it?!

MM I shall fan you if you fall

TLC Yep vetch is in aBUNdance here, I can't say I've noticed much in previous years but my thinking is because I am also growing it I think I am more aware of it now in the wild?

Tulsi Yes same, getting some lovey long grasses

I sat out with Ted for a while last night.

I have finished Mummy

Getting tonnes of yarrow here, what a funny looking plant.

Has anyone noticed the Hawthorn flies? think they have nearly gone now (St Marks fly)
    Bead (him) & Thread (me) is our little outlet for our talents (ha!)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bead-...04447419700468

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    J&B yes of course you must go to your old haunt, Ted is asking why you are even questoning it?!

MM I shall fan you if you fall

TLC Yep vetch is in aBUNdance here, I can't say I've noticed much in previous years but my thinking is because I am also growing it I think I am more aware of it now in the wild?

Tulsi Yes same, getting some lovey long grasses

I sat out with Ted for a while last night.

I have finished Mummy

Getting tonnes of yarrow here, what a funny looking plant.

Has anyone noticed the Hawthorn flies? think they have nearly gone now (St Marks fly)

Oh what a beautiful sweetheart

Ted is soooo cute. Look at that adorable smooshy face. I shan't show his pic to OH as he'll want to steal him. (He adores lops. They're his favourite.)

I also agree, yarrow is a strange looking plant. My lot love it and it seems to dry remarkably quickly. (If Yuki doesn't get it first.)
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:
    Bunnies: Elphie & Selene, Helios & Morningstar, Athena, Erasmus & Rivergrace, Persephone & Morpheus, Arce & Yuki
    Cats: Brannigan, Nyssa, Zara, & Ajali
    Tortoise: Aurora
    Gone, but not forgotten: Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Bee, Takumi, Apollo, Iris

T. L. Cowell - Author & Freelance Writer
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post

I've never heard them called Hawthorn flies, but I suppose it's appropriate as they come when the Hawthorn is in flower I have seen them, but we haven't had as many as usual this year.

I've never heard them called Hawthorn flies, but I suppose it's appropriate as they come when the Hawthorn is in flower I have seen them, but we haven't had as many as usual this year.
    Quite the opposite here. I think I accidentally ingested a few. I can't say I have really noticed them before.
    Bead (him) & Thread (me) is our little outlet for our talents (ha!)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bead-...04447419700468

Warren Veteran

We've got hundreds of these in the garden at the moment http://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/turnip-sawfly

They don't sound as though they should be considered welcome guests