• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

I've not offered wild garlic for about 5 years - I'm pretty sure they all rejected it back then.

Really surprised when I tried it on them today, both Boo & Mouse seemed to enjoy it. The look Joey gave me though. I told him he needs to eat it too now or he'll be putting up with Boo's stinky breath for the next few days....his look got darker.

Surely Wild Garlic is an Allium and therefore shouldn't be fed to bunnies?

Surely Wild Garlic is an Allium and therefore shouldn't be fed to bunnies?

oh my word. Where did I get that from? No wonder Joey was full of disdain. Why on earth did B & M eat it. Fortunately they only had a leaf each as I'd stored it seperately (in my pocket) as was expecting them to not like it

oh my word. Where did I get that from? No wonder Joey was full of disdain. Why on earth did B & M eat it. Fortunately they only had a leaf each as I'd stored it seperately (in my pocket) as was expecting them to not like it

I wouldn't panic, but I wouldn't obviously give them any more. We have small Alliums self-seeding all over the garden and some of them seed right next to the rabbit run. I pull them out when I see them, but I know all the Rexes nibbled them a small amount in the past.

The fact that B and M ate it, demonstrates that rabbits are not always aware of plants to avoid.

no not panicking but am annoyed with myself.

On the plus side I've just seen mallow on FHB's site & I think we have this growing prolifically. Will take photos next time I'm out that way & see what you think . The leaves look v similar anyway

no not panicking but am annoyed with myself.

On the plus side I've just seen mallow on FHB's site & I think we have this growing prolifically. Will take photos next time I'm out that way & see what you think . The leaves look v similar anyway

I didn't know that you weren't already picking Mallow. The leaves are quite distinctive and also there seems to be a lot more of it around these days. Has always been liked by my bunnies.

I didn't know that you weren't already picking Mallow. The leaves are quite distinctive and also there seems to be a lot more of it around these days. Has always been liked by my bunnies.

My buns love Mallow & I love growing it for them. It’s pretty too

@joeyandboo By wild garlic, do you mean ramsons? Or did you mean Jack by the hedge (garlic mustard, hedge garlic. Ramsons have long leaves into a point and hedge garlic leaves are more heart shaped.
I used to mix the names up is why I'm asking lol..
I have never come across mallow in the wild, I don't think. Can someone give me an idea the conditions it likes so I can look for some.

@joeyandboo By wild garlic, do you mean ramsons? Or did you mean Jack by the hedge (garlic mustard, hedge garlic. Ramsons have long leaves into a point and hedge garlic leaves are more heart shaped.
I used to mix the names up is why I'm asking lol..
I have never come across mallow in the wild, I don't think. Can someone give me an idea the conditions it likes so I can look for some.

Common Mallow (there are several, but this is the one you are likely to see) grows in abundance in all the hedgerows here. It would grow where you would find such plants as Ribwort Plantain and Dandelions I think :) It's easy to identify and not mis-ID.

Last edited:
Interestingly, mine loved mallow at first but for the last couple of years they've turned their nose up at it. I might pick a bit of it again when I go foraging this afternoon to see if they've changed their minds.

I will keep a look out for it. My husband went foraging along yesterday and came home with amazing black or red currant leaves, thinking they were gamble leaves. I've been foraging that sa me place since I started foraging and have never see it there.
You can understand why I check every leaf he brings home before feeding them :lol: he's going to show me where he got it today.

Plant ID please

RdJ7Ce3l.jpg

HrsmTUMl.jpg

DuWOMY0l.jpg

BAKxe0Al.jpg

Gosh these are hard :lol:

First one could be Alchemilla Mollis (Lady's Mantle). No 4 looks to be a fruit of some sort, Currant? What did the plant of No 3 look like?

I'll look them up later when I've got more time (should be planting Peas and Beans).

Gosh these are hard :lol:

First one could be Alchemilla Mollis (Lady's Mantle). No 4 looks to be a fruit of some sort, Currant? What did the plant of No 3 look like?

I'll look them up later when I've got more time (should be planting Peas and Beans).

got to keep the Ogafal on its toes (& not sure you're authorised to do your own gardening stuff when the forum needs you :lol:)

Seriously, thanks.

The one with little white leaves is what I was talking about with a plant that looks like wild strawberry. Plant 3 is just quite tall leaves coming out of the ground (woodland area). Yes I though currant but not one I'm familiar with

It was mad foraging today - its 2 degrees but felt like Spring as the sun is so warm.

Ok, another try :)

First one I still think is Alchemilla mollis. Second one I think is Barren Strawberry. Have you got a flower which is fully open? If so, take a pic of it showing the petal arrangement. Third one, I think, could be Wild Celery. It looks to have a grooved stem, like Cow Parsley. Crush a leaf and see what it smells of. Last one I still think is a Currant. I have never grown Gooseberry, as I dislike them, but think the stems have spines, which I don't see on your specimen.

Ohh thanks Omi. It does look like celery leaves. Unfortunately they are all binned now but i will take camera out next time I'm that way. I wonder if barren strawberry is bunny safe? Not that i'd bother really, its so tiny . I'll google your suggestion for plant one

Back