Page 120 of 130 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122 ... LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1298

Thread: my foraging diary

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    I think so yes. I'll keep an eye on it and update with any changes

Thank you

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

I'm very pleased with today's haul

Hawthorn, jack in the hedge, red and white dead nettle, plantain, dandelion, mallow, brambles, goose grass, cow parsley and bindweed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    I'm very pleased with today's haul

Hawthorn, jack in the hedge, red and white dead nettle, plantain, dandelion, mallow, brambles, goose grass, cow parsley and bindweed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh lovely!

We went on a long woods / forage walk it was wonderful.

Got yarrow, plantain (both) dandelions, white nettle, hawthorn, brambles, some other twiggy thing

Forgot to take my book, grr
    Bead (him) & Thread (me) is our little outlet for our talents (ha!)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bead-...04447419700468

Warren Veteran

Loads and loads of Garlic Mustard in the hedgerows here today. MM flowers look like this http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/species/garlic-mustard

Also found some Willowherb today. The leaves of the Common Hogweed are now becoming quite large. They look hollow. I was watching the rabbits eating the various types of forage today and they definitely were favouring the thickish stems of the Hogweed. I found this surprising as usually I find that leaves take preference over stems. There's definitely more Hogweed around this year

ETA I mean that the stems of the Hogweed look hollow !
    Last edited by Omi; 15-04-2017 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Loads and loads of Garlic Mustard in the hedgerows here today. MM flowers look like this http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/species/garlic-mustard

Also found some Willowherb today. The leaves of the Common Hogweed are now becoming quite large. They look hollow. I was watching the rabbits eating the various types of forage today and they definitely were favouring the thickish stems of the Hogweed. I found this surprising as usually I find that leaves take preference over stems. There's definitely more Hogweed around this year

Thanks Omi

I don't think I've seen any. However, from a distance I may have mistaken some for white dead nettle.
    I'll have a closer look now

Mama Doe

i saw one garlic mustard in flower yesterday, but none of the others were flowering. Ive found that a lot of the hawthorn seems early to have loads of flowers growing. Herb robert has started to flower too. Mine seem to prefer the hogweed when its yound leaves that when its big. They are loving the mallow and i even found a patch of strawberry leaves the other day. Hazel leaves are growing quite big here and one of the willows too. Ive still not been brave enough to get the blackthorn. Im going to look a some pics of that in a minute. Ive took pics on my camera which i will upload soon.

Mama Doe

can anyone tell if this is blackthorn please[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] can anyone verify that this is meadowsweet[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]dont know what this is[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] or this either[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Sorry w&s, I can't help you.

Have a little tale for you all though...

I just ran out of pre-foraged food and hadn't fed Arce and Yuki yet. I cobbled together what I could from the garden: some bramble, bitterweed, herb bennet, dandelion, a single dock leaf, a couple of raspberry leaves. I added a little cauliflower because I wanted to stock it up a bit more. My garden is only really good for herb bennet, dandelion, and bramble right now. Went and fed everything to Arce and Yuki. And what does Arce favour? The flipping cauliflower. That right there shows the true appreciation for all my foraging work. Ladies and gentlemen... I present to you... Rabbits.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:

*Nyssa & Zara the cats*Aurora the horsefield's tortoise*Delta & Epsilon the guinea pigs*
    Never forgetting Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Bee, Takumi, Apollo, and Iris

T. L. Cowell - Author & Freelance Writer
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.
    Hopping Mad, for hopping mad things for your buns.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcwrites View Post
    I just ran out of pre-foraged food and hadn't fed Arce and Yuki yet. I cobbled together what I could from the garden: some bramble, bitterweed, herb bennet, dandelion, a single dock leaf, a couple of raspberry leaves. I added a little cauliflower because I wanted to stock it up a bit more. My garden is only really good for herb bennet, dandelion, and bramble right now. Went and fed everything to Arce and Yuki. And what does Arce favour? The flipping cauliflower. That right there shows the true appreciation for all my foraging work. Ladies and gentlemen... I present to you... Rabbits.
    My garden's good for a lastminute forage to: we keep it 'weedy'! Mine would certainly rather have forage though, TLC: they even chose everything over coriander the other day! I know Lopsy won't eat cauliflower though
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Warren Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by willow and squiggles View Post
    can anyone tell if this is blackthorn please[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] can anyone verify that this is meadowsweet[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]dont know what this is[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] or this either[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    No 1 looks like Blackthorn to me. It stopped flowering here quite a while ago but there will be regional differences.
    No 2 looks like Meadowsweet from my books. I've rarely seen it and then only identified it when in flower.
    No 3 I'm not sure. From the leaf structure it could be Hemlock. If it were me I wouldn't take a chance as I don't see much Hemlock.
    No 4 I'm not sure about this either. It's something I have seen and looks like an Umbellifer. I would try crushing the leaf and smelling it.

Sorry, I've not been more helpful!