• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

That photo on the pink glove that looks a bit like poppy (but isn't) - I found that on Sunday and I can't remember what it is!

I would love to know, as I'm pressing my specimens for my own personal foraging book :lol:

Could Kara's first pic be Fennel? If it is is will smell of aniseed. My rabbits like Fennel.

The second one, yes, I think is Horsetail. I have (fortunately) no experience of this either as a weed or a rabbit food :lol:).

kara i was laughing my head off at your diagram, especially wonda and the cow. Mighty max thats a brill idea, better than any photo album or book when you have the real thing to look at. I never brought any of the alkanet home so im going to go back and get some for the buns to try. Its great seeming pics of things i havent found yet so if i do find them i will know what they are lol..

A quick Google suggests Horsetail is poisonous to buns but I'm not wholly convinced. I don't pick it for mine but I don't get worried if they have a nibble during garden time. Probably best to leave off the safe foraging list though

Could Kara's first pic be Fennel? If it is is will smell of aniseed. My rabbits like Fennel.

The second one, yes, I think is Horsetail. I have (fortunately) no experience of this either as a weed or a rabbit food :lol:).

I broke some open and sniffed it, deffo not fennel, we grow it for them at home so I'd recognise the smell, there is some here in another patch though!

I broke some open and sniffed it, deffo not fennel, we grow it for them at home so I'd recognise the smell, there is some here in another patch though!

Kara I'm wondering if your first plant could be wild asparagus? It looks possible.

What's this please?

IMG_3154_zpsfuwcaesa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

kara i was laughing my head off at your diagram, especially wonda and the cow. Mighty max thats a brill idea, better than any photo album or book when you have the real thing to look at. I never brought any of the alkanet home so im going to go back and get some for the buns to try. Its great seeming pics of things i havent found yet so if i do find them i will know what they are lol..

It was a 'spur of the moment' thing at Twigs' house. I had a hard back notebook to write stuff down, but I ended up putting specimens in it, each on a page, and naming them.

Only problem was that the book soon got very fat (Twigs covered an awful lot of stuff :shock:) and I had to keep sitting on the book to 'press' the specimens in :lol:

What's this please?

IMG_3154_zpsfuwcaesa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I think this is a Bedstraw, possibly Crosswort. I've not come across it before. It's unusual :). It looks as though that could be it in my book though.

I'm sorry, I've no idea what the tall thing in your garden is. Does it flower?

I think this is a Bedstraw, possibly Crosswort. I've not come across it before. It's unusual :). It looks as though that could be it in my book though.

I'm sorry, I've no idea what the tall thing in your garden is. Does it flower?

thanks Omi. Not sure if it flowers, I can't remember it from last year. Thanks for the Bedstraw / Crosswort ID. Typical of me to photo something obscure. I wonder if it is bunny safe :?

I think you're right about it being bedstraw. Action for rabbits say it ok (just found a handy little poster which I've printed off). Yay! must go harvest it tomorrow - well some of it since its rare

thanks Omi. Not sure if it flowers, I can't remember it from last year. Thanks for the Bedstraw / Crosswort ID. Typical of me to photo something obscure. I wonder if it is bunny safe :?

It possibly isn't obscure. I haven't seen it before though :) Perhaps it grows more freely up where you are. Anyway, IF the ID is correct, it seems that it is rabbit safe. Several sites had it listed as safe (so it can't be that obscure :lol:), including this:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?217434-Rabbit-Foods-Whats-Safe-and-Whats-Dangerous

ETA posted before I saw your latest post.

Can buns eat sweet pea shoots? Normal pea shoots, sweede leaves?

Well I am surprised, but apparently sweet peas are poisonous :shock: http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2012/02/29/rabbit-safe-flowers-annuals/

According to the RWAF normal pea shoots are safe. They also say swede is safe and whilst I guess they are meaning the actual swede, I would have thought that if the leaves were unsafe they would have said so. If it were me though I don't think I would take the risk.

Well I am surprised, but apparently sweet peas are poisonous :shock: http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/2012/02/29/rabbit-safe-flowers-annuals/

According to the RWAF normal pea shoots are safe. They also say swede is safe and whilst I guess they are meaning the actual swede, I would have thought that if the leaves were unsafe they would have said so. If it were me though I don't think I would take the risk.

Mine often get swede, but I have never seen swede leaves or fed them. I wouldn't assume they are safe.

Tomatoes are perfectly fine for rabbits. The leaves are not - they are poisonous. You are right though - probably would have mentioned had the leaves been unsafe.

The sweet peas surprises me too - typically I have grown them this year & they are doing well :lol:

Fab re pee shoots, I'll nip some off as they have gone crazy :lol:

Mine often get swede, but I have never seen swede leaves or fed them. I wouldn't assume they are safe.

Tomatoes are perfectly fine for rabbits. The leaves are not - they are poisonous. You are right though - probably would have mentioned had the leaves been unsafe.

I'll assume not safe.... again a shame as we've got 20 odd swedes growing :lol:

I'll stick to the foraging :lol:

The sweet peas surprises me too - typically I have grown them this year & they are doing well :lol:

Fab re pee shoots, I'll nip some off as they have gone crazy :lol:

I'll assume not safe.... again a shame as we've got 20 odd swedes growing :lol:

I'll stick to the foraging :lol:

Do you (humans) eat the swede leaves? We don't eat tomato leaves so maybe if *we* eat swede leaves it's an indicator?

Back