• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

It's very prolific round here. I wonder if it's one of those plants that's more widespread in the South?

I agree, it's not very appetising to look at but I think it smells like dried herbs, maybe that's why it's popular with bunnies.

J&B, would you like me to collect some extra and send to you for your bunnies? I've never posted forage before so I'd need some clear instructions, such as best thing to wrap them in etc. I don't want them getting to you all mouldy!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Mine love yarrow, especially dried! :lol:

Council or someone had a spree of cutting stuff down so the bunnies were inundated with half-dried hazel and hawthorn. They're not fussed by hawthorn at the moment because the goodness is going into the berries. They got a big willow branch last week because it had fallen mostly off so the OH cut it down and dragged it back.

We managed to trick them into thinking the currant we'd pruned was illicit (by poking it through bars rather than straight-out giving it to them), because they normally won't touch it unless it's blackcurrant, although are more wiling in winter. Mine still won't touch buddleia though!

It's very prolific round here. I wonder if it's one of those plants that's more widespread in the South?

I agree, it's not very appetising to look at but I think it smells like dried herbs, maybe that's why it's popular with bunnies.

J&B, would you like me to collect some extra and send to you for your bunnies? I've never posted forage before so I'd need some clear instructions, such as best thing to wrap them in etc. I don't want them getting to you all mouldy!

So sorry - only just saw this kind offer Scrappy. The buns are fine - they haven't got yarrow but have so much other stuff. I think I might have seen some today but my memory of the leaves didn't match that of Google images when I got home

Can't move for yarrow round here! Buddleia is what she wants scraps

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Mine love yarrow, especially dried! :lol:

Council or someone had a spree of cutting stuff down so the bunnies were inundated with half-dried hazel and hawthorn. They're not fussed by hawthorn at the moment because the goodness is going into the berries. They got a big willow branch last week because it had fallen mostly off so the OH cut it down and dragged it back.

We managed to trick them into thinking the currant we'd pruned was illicit (by poking it through bars rather than straight-out giving it to them), because they normally won't touch it unless it's blackcurrant, although are more wiling in winter. Mine still won't touch buddleia though!

Is Yarrow what your OH kindly offered my buns & they all wouldn't eat it?

Whats this please?
9QbaadWl.jpg

Thats what Bob reckoned it was (he brought it home). Must be bunny kosher too then. Thanks Omi

Well done Bob :) I've just walked along the road to pick some from my source, so my rabbits could have some as well. Tui went for the leaves and Tethra the flowers. Interesting :) I reckon the flowers must taste sweet with that wonderful smell.

Mousey with her Meadowsweet

c4rTu62m.jpg
zfyV1PEm.jpg

Neighbour with the massive garden says he goes round removing all dandelions a few times a year & asked if our bunnies would like them. Checked he doesn't use weed killer & said yes please. Then it occurred to me they have a massive chicken residence & its likely dandelions will have been picked from nearby. Destination green bin or bunny tummies?

Mousey with her Meadowsweet

c4rTu62m.jpg
[/IMG]
zfyV1PEm.jpg
[/IMG]

Neighbour with the massive garden says he goes round removing all dandelions a few times a year & asked if our bunnies would like them. Checked he doesn't use weed killer & said yes please. Then it occurred to me they have a massive chicken residence & its likely dandelions will have been picked from nearby. Destination green bin or bunny tummies?

I would consider nearby to be fine. All of the forage I pick for my rabbits is near to where our chickens are housed, but it doesn't concern me. Chicken poo is another matter. Chickens (and other wild birds too actually) can carry some nasty viruses and so I am always very careful about examining forage for bird poo :)

If it were me I would prefer to pick the Dandelions myself, but I guess that's expecting too much tolerance. Also it would be better if you could have a steady supply rather than a load a few times a year, but I suppose you could dry them.

He's probably likely to have lots of other 'goodies' in his garden too ;)

I would consider nearby to be fine. All of the forage I pick for my rabbits is near to where our chickens are housed, but it doesn't concern me. Chicken poo is another matter. Chickens (and other wild birds too actually) can carry some nasty viruses and so I am always very careful about examining forage for bird poo :)

If it were me I would prefer to pick the Dandelions myself, but I guess that's expecting too much tolerance. Also it would be better if you could have a steady supply rather than a load a few times a year, but I suppose you could dry them.

He's probably likely to have lots of other 'goodies' in his garden too ;)

well if its good enough for Tui & Tethra its good enough for Joey Boo Rudey & Mouse. Thanks OGAFAL - we are working you hard this year are we not.

I'm always on the look out for bird poo too. I'll probably dry an excess though Boobly assures me excess + dandelions are not a possible combination

well if its good enough for Tui & Tethra its good enough for Joey Boo Rudey & Mouse. Thanks OGAFAL - we are working you hard this year are we not.

I'm always on the look out for bird poo too. I'll probably dry an excess though Boobly assures me excess + dandelions are not a possible combination

Yes, but my brain thanks you for the exercise :)

well I just took a lovely alternative route down windy not well used country roads. Got meadowsweet, hogweed, rowan, milk thistle, sow thistle, dandelions, bramble, ribwort & broadleaf plantain, rose, hawthorn, knapweed, geranium, vetch & different types of grass.

It looked like rain so I was wearing my coat (scruffy too big jeans, trainers & pj top). Minding my own business when a car pulls over & a woman asks me if I'm ok/ Do I need any help? :lol: I should have handed her my secateurs

well I just took a lovely alternative route down windy not well used country roads. Got meadowsweet, hogweed, rowan, milk thistle, sow thistle, dandelions, bramble, ribwort & broadleaf plantain, rose, hawthorn, knapweed, geranium, vetch & different types of grass.

It looked like rain so I was wearing my coat (scruffy too big jeans, trainers & pj top). Minding my own business when a car pulls over & a woman asks me if I'm ok/ Do I need any help? :lol: I should have handed her my secateurs

She probably thought that you were picking a few leaves for your supper :lol: Seems like a good place to go though, if you can avoid interfering women in cars.

So a friend at work forages for himself (he does not have any animals). He said he is trying a Lilley he's found in the wild. I said I think they are poisonous? Or is there a different type? Concerned for his vital organs

So a friend at work forages for himself (he does not have any animals). He said he is trying a Lilley he's found in the wild. I said I think they are poisonous? Or is there a different type? Concerned for his vital organs

Well, I think the fact that he's saying he tried 'a' Lily in the wild would suggest to me that he's either having you on or he's being extremely foolish.

The only Lily I can think of atm, which would be growing in the wild would be the Arum Lily, which is poisonous, but the ones in the garden have mostly finished, so it's probably not that.

In my experience, people who forage for themselves and have done for a while, generally know their stuff. It could also be, of course, that it's not an actual Lily, but that Lily forms part of the common name for the plant.

I think you need to know a bit more.

Well, I think the fact that he's saying he tried 'a' Lily in the wild would suggest to me that he's either having you on or he's being extremely foolish.

The only Lily I can think of atm, which would be growing in the wild would be the Arum Lily, which is poisonous, but the ones in the garden have mostly finished, so it's probably not that.

In my experience, people who forage for themselves and have done for a while, generally know their stuff. It could also be, of course, that it's not an actual Lily, but that Lily forms part of the common name for the plant.

I think you need to know a bit more.
Ok so he says he had arum Lily and wild garlic for tea. He says in Iran (where he is from) they cook them before they eat them? I said I would lend him my herb forage book

Back