Page 227 of 227 FirstFirst ... 127177217225226227
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 2270

Thread: my foraging diary

no, I don't forage at night. There are precious few places where you can get a decent amount now. Funnily enough many of the garden bunny edibles still provide regular nibbles but not in any quantity, more tasting platters. But you have 7 x as many bunnies as I

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Very impressed with self as no longer can it be said I'm a fair weather forager! Although as it happens the sun did shine.

Got loads & loads of hogweed & geranium,plus some brambles & herb robert
    Well done! I'm amazed that you found some Hogweed. We've got loads of it in the garden, but none that's producing leaves atm.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    If you have just this minute got in from foraging I'm hugely impressed

(To be fair, I'm pretty impressed anyway. I should forage a bit, my own plot isn't going to provide supplies for the next few months as I had anticipated *sighs).
    Have you got wild areas? We have Red Campion, around the perimeter next to the hedges, and also Red Dead-nettle, growing profusely like a carpet inbetween the Kale. Both of them pretty much last through the winter.

Very impressed with self as no longer can it be said I'm a fair weather forager! Although as it happens the sun did shine.
    Matt goes out all weathers for ours I don't

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Well done! I'm amazed that you found some Hogweed. We've got loads of it in the garden, but none that's producing leaves atm.
    Still loads of hogweed by the canal here, in patches: today's frost won't last long enough to hurt it as well
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

On my last not so productive forage, I passed a hazel tree & took off 2 small branches ...wasn't expecting them to be interested. Well they all were. They weren't wolfed down immediately but over 2 days gone completely. Even Mousey. This is happy news for me as it means I can get them hazel twigs all year round

On my last not so productive forage, I passed a hazel tree & took off 2 small branches ...wasn't expecting them to be interested. Well they all were. They weren't wolfed down immediately but over 2 days gone completely. Even Mousey. This is happy news for me as it means I can get them hazel twigs all year round
    That's great! Sounds like there will be more hazel twigs in their future! =) Sophie and Casper aren't big fans, which is too bad, because I can easily get them hazel twigs.

Wise Old Thumper

That certainly is good if they eat them completely. Our Hazels will get pruned soon and so the 2Ts will get the prunings, but I don't think they will eat all of it unless it's very thin.

We're just starting a proper pruning regime on our garden. We prefer to do anything bunny safe, especially winter pruning, over a few weeks so the bunnies can chew what they want. No point chopping loads off at once when it'll just die and be unpalatable. Today we discussed the pear, hazel, currants and removal of the rogue honeysuckles, and started with a piece of pear and redcurrant. The pear was an instant hit, the currant will take some time to go They were SO excited about the pear Ours aren't hazel fans at any time of year TBH, it's always left until last!

We also talked about gooseberries. We need to clear a load of bushes before we can get to the one we want to keep, so we're going to wait until they've got leaves on so we can put the through the bunny stick processor
    The geeky one...

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    We're just starting a proper pruning regime on our garden. We prefer to do anything bunny safe, especially winter pruning, over a few weeks so the bunnies can chew what they want. No point chopping loads off at once when it'll just die and be unpalatable. Today we discussed the pear, hazel, currants and removal of the rogue honeysuckles, and started with a piece of pear and redcurrant. The pear was an instant hit, the currant will take some time to go They were SO excited about the pear Ours aren't hazel fans at any time of year TBH, it's always left until last!

We also talked about gooseberries. We need to clear a load of bushes before we can get to the one we want to keep, so we're going to wait until they've got leaves on so we can put the through the bunny stick processor
    lucky bunnies. I think faced with a better selection mine would reject Hazel twigs but in these dark & wintery days they are better than nowt

lucky bunnies. I think faced with a better selection mine would reject Hazel twigs but in these dark & wintery days they are better than nowt
    Yeah, that's what ours are like with currant moreso than hazel: try and feed them currant in spring/summer and they won't even touch the leaves!

Pear update: the word 'ravaged' is the best way to describe it I think

The forage around here is recovering after the cold spell, the cow parsely isn't looking any more limp and there's some recovery in the centres. Stickyweed/goose grass is still rampant, although not sticky!
    The geeky one...