• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

I actually found that Anton Vets is a really good foraging spot if anyone is ever there. They have huge willow trees, hawthorn everything that goes on a nice walk along side the practice and along rivers

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I actually found that Anton Vets is a really good foraging spot if anyone is ever there. They have huge willow trees, hawthorn everything that goes on a nice walk along side the practice and along rivers

I’ll keep that in mind in case I’m there with Phillip over the next week!! Might as well make the most of a bad situation!

Fresh plaintan and hawthorn tonight. Not given yarrow yet
ba74571e728a24ce1e31234c5ff57199.jpg
97bfa40836bfc5118bd1df6c078737c7.jpg
f0daab35f9564289f3b8a5815b835309.jpg
13a7055ddf9b42602516ca456b00c34f.jpg
fde730058c865fb6ac0c19f6f55aeb89.jpg

I'm wondering what this pink plant is?
b9d90856cdcaafe883887e85f3eabbcb.jpg

Sorry, I can't think what this plant can be. If you see it again, try to take a photo just of the flower head and also a photo of the leaves. Theoretically it should be easy to identify as there as only a few plants with flowers that pale pink.

Sorry, I can't think what this plant can be. If you see it again, try to take a photo just of the flower head and also a photo of the leaves. Theoretically it should be easy to identify as there as only a few plants with flowers that pale pink.
Ok sure!

What forage can we expect to find in the winter time? Will hawthorn still be available?

cow parsley growing here already and looking very lush. I could indeed get that most of the year if I trusted myself to ID it correctly which I don't.

Does anyone feed or have an opinion on feeding rosehips? I seem to recall something about them having some effect on the heart in big quantities. Mine currently get half of one some days

I've found some lovely yellow flowered plants growing like weeds in my garden. I didn't know what they were and thought they were rogues among my veggies. I have absolutely no idea what they are!!

Should I post this on the gardening thread?
Or does anyone know of yellow flowered (quite large flowers) plants that are edible ... hmmm

I've found some lovely yellow flowered plants growing like weeds in my garden. I didn't know what they were and thought they were rogues among my veggies. I have absolutely no idea what they are!!

Should I post this on the gardening thread?
Or does anyone know of yellow flowered (quite large flowers) plants that are edible ... hmmm

Ah c'mon, you're stretching the bounds of people's capabilities here :lol: Large yellow flowers on plants that are edible!!!!!!

Right let's get some rigour into this task :lol:

How tall is the plant?
What are the yellow fllowers like, daisy-shaped or what? In a cluster? Are the flowers on branched stems or single stem?
What are the leaves like?
How large are the flowers approx?
If it's edible, you must have tasted it, so what does it taste like?

Showing off my plantain haul from today
DbbGqokh.jpg

Early morning Boo accesses the self service forage drying station, she is such a cutie :love:

KzHqIOzl.jpg

DbbGqokh.jpg
[/IMG]

Early morning Boo accesses the self service forage drying station, she is such a cutie :love:

KzHqIOzl.jpg
[/IMG]
Whaaaat. That is a crazy amount of plantain. How???

I also want to look through those records

Omi's Gardening World

Dear Omi,

I have been watching this weed grow in my garden. Now its in flower, what is it and is it nomable?

Lucy, Southampton, UK
b0d33df8ee7b2088eecff070b73cfb60.jpg
52340d5c81056cd212dcb7c9b8476113.jpg

DbbGqokh.jpg
[/IMG]

KzHqIOzl.jpg
[/IMG]

You do know that if you take it all, there won't be any at all next year, don't you?:lol:

Bob accussed me of taking too much as well :lol: There are some fields that have more plantain than grass, I picked about a quarter of what I saw. I was maybe a tad greedy today but I intend to share ;)

Omi's Gardening World

Dear Omi,

I have been watching this weed grow in my garden. Now its in flower, what is it and is it nomable?

Lucy, Southampton, UK
b0d33df8ee7b2088eecff070b73cfb60.jpg
52340d5c81056cd212dcb7c9b8476113.jpg

Dear Lucy from Southampton,

Is it possible that you have sown some Rocket and it has now gone up to flower? Could you taste one of the leaves and see if it tastes like Rocket?

If it is, then yes rabbits can eat all of the plant. Mine have eaten this in the past.

Kind regards,
Omi

Ah c'mon, you're stretching the bounds of people's capabilities here :lol: Large yellow flowers on plants that are edible!!!!!!

Right let's get some rigour into this task :lol:

How tall is the plant?
What are the yellow fllowers like, daisy-shaped or what? In a cluster? Are the flowers on branched stems or single stem?
What are the leaves like?
How large are the flowers approx?
If it's edible, you must have tasted it, so what does it taste like?

Well I was hoping they were edible - but I am now thinking maybe not.

So I went and had another look and 'evening primrose' came to me. I have no idea why, and I have yet to google, but I am not sure they are edible, although their oil is precious?

<goes to research a bit more> .... They are taking up valuable space, but I am glad they have now flowered, because to be honest I thought they might be turning into sunflowers (for the squirrels, obviously :lol:)

Well I was hoping they were edible - but I am now thinking maybe not.

So I went and had another look and 'evening primrose' came to me. I have no idea why, and I have yet to google, but I am not sure they are edible, although their oil is precious?

<goes to research a bit more> .... They are taking up valuable space, but I am glad they have now flowered, because to be honest I thought they might be turning into sunflowers (for the squirrels, obviously :lol:)

The wild form of Evening Primrose is beautiful. I've never seen it growing in the UK, only in France. I would doubt it was edible.

Back