Page 193 of 203 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 2024

Thread: my foraging diary

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    Sticky bud: Also Joweee and Tui does it taste nice? Would you recommend or leave it

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    Sorry, I know it's popular in Trawden, but NONE of my rabbits have ever eaten this even though I regularly pick it and mix it in with other plants. It always gets left here.

I do think it would be interesting to put Tui or Tethra with a rabbit who likes to eat it and see if they change their view I suspect that mine copy these behaviours.

Omi is this cow parsley? I'm getting confused because it has the same colour stem as herb robert doesn't it?

Bam & Charlie
    Humanisation to the nation ~ One Love ~ Tipper Tapper Toby

Wise Old Thumper

Omi is this cow parsley? I'm getting confused because it has the same colour stem as herb robert doesn't it?

Yes, it looks like Cow Parsley. Easy to check though with a cross section of the stem. Sometimes Cow Parsley has reddish stems, but Herb Robert is a much more definite red. Compare the leaves as well. They are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Yes, it looks like Cow Parsley. Easy to check though with a cross section of the stem. Sometimes Cow Parsley has reddish stems, but Herb Robert is a much more definite red. Compare the leaves as well. They are different.
    Thanks Omi. Now I compared my photos I can see the difference. When out on walk though I was starting to go cross eyed. Do buns like wild rose?

Bam & Charlie

Sticky bud: Also Joweee and Tui does it taste nice? Would you recommend or leave it

Joey, Boo, Mouse & Rudey say its nom rather than non nom. They always eat it up but its never favourite. I like feeeding some stuff they are a bit meh about so they don't scoff the whole lot in one go. As Omis fussy bunnies don't like just try a sample. Super easy to dry & fast

Quote Originally Posted by Tippertappertoby View Post
    Also does anyone know what this is?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
    You 2 know the cow parsley - hemlock thing? I know you will but had to say. I'm jealous of people brave enough to get cow parsley. Its very river / streamy here so I'm doubly scared

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Asked OH. In his view the tree is definitely a Willow, but although he thinks it's Crack Willow, he's not 100% sure. The problem is that Willows are known to hybridise quite extensively and so he said he would need to see the tree himself, to confirm it's habit, before being able to say definitely Crack Willow. However, for your purposes Willow is fine

He said the other tree in the foreground of the 1st pic and to the right is not (as I thought) Field Maple, but Sycamore, which is a Maple and is fine for rabbits. https://www.thesprucepets.com/safe-w...abbits-1239351

What a lot of new forage your rabbits can now have
    I thought sycamore is bad for bunnies? Frances says so & she feeds hers chillies so doesn't say bad willy nilly https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/med...eaves.jpg/view

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I thought sycamore is bad for bunnies? Frances says so & she feeds hers chillies so doesn't say bad willy nilly https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/med...eaves.jpg/view
    Thanks for posting this. I've not seen that before from FHB, although I knew about the seeds. I've not fed Sycamore before, but that's also because I've not come across it. I do feed Field Maple though, which we have in the hedge around the garden and I also collect it from the hedges up the road. This has to be a close cousin. When I looked yesterday about Sycamore, I could only find sites which said it was OK and those that mentioned the seeds.

Sorry loobers, I would put this in the 'iffy' category and not feed.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    You 2 know the cow parsley - hemlock thing? I know you will but had to say. I'm jealous of people brave enough to get cow parsley. Its very river / streamy here so I'm doubly scared
    I have got both growing near here. Cow Parsley is in the garden and up the road and there is a small amount of Hemlock also up the road. The key ID feature for me is the stem. There is a definite groove, or 'u' shape in the stem of Cow Parsley, similar to celery. Hemlock doesn't have this. I can also see a difference in the leaves, but that it is bit more subtle.

Safety breech, risk, danger danger! No more learning about Cow Parsley

Bam & Charlie