Page 188 of 188 FirstFirst ... 88138178186187188
Results 1,871 to 1,879 of 1879

Thread: my foraging diary

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    How exciting is it to see all the trees budding. Not long now. Do you think this spell on sunshine & warmth means we can tree forage earlier? My pear tree is starting to bud leaves
    Yes, our trees are mostly all starting to bud too I noticed yesterday that the Hazel buds are actually starting to open as well. Tree foraging can be done at all times of the year, as when there are no leaves then the rabbits will just nibble the bark. But if you mean tree leaves then probably yes I think they will open a bit earlier than usual. My two always find the young Hawthorn buds very tasty.
    " We will remain friends until the end of days, and one day longer"......Donald Tusk

“We cannot go back and change the beginning. But we can start where we are and change the ending”.........C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Yes, our trees are mostly all starting to bud too I noticed yesterday that the Hazel buds are actually starting to open as well. Tree foraging can be done at all times of the year, as when there are no leaves then the rabbits will just nibble the bark. But if you mean tree leaves then probably yes I think they will open a bit earlier than usual. My two always find the young Hawthorn buds very tasty.

Same here, Rudey especially loves them. The problem with trees before they leaf is I don't know which trees are which most of the time. I notice so much fruit from last years is still hanging off trees this year

Wise Old Thumper

[/B]

Same here, Rudey especially loves them. The problem with trees before they leaf is I don't know which trees are which most of the time. I notice so much fruit from last years is still hanging off trees this year
    Yes, I think I've said before but one of the walks we go on is next to a railway line and there are very many apple and pear trees, presumably where people have thrown cores out of the train window. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that some of the apple trees still have loads of fruit hanging. The fruit looks pretty manky though
    " We will remain friends until the end of days, and one day longer"......Donald Tusk

“We cannot go back and change the beginning. But we can start where we are and change the ending”.........C.S. Lewis

Alpha Buck

I’m looking at taking my daughter foraging in the next couple of weeks. Will be taking the RWAF book recommended but I was just wondering what people find the easiest to identify.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa1981 View Post
    I’m looking at taking my daughter foraging in the next couple of weeks. Will be taking the RWAF book recommended but I was just wondering what people find the easiest to identify.
    Probably Dandelion, Ribwort Plantain, Cleavers and Red Dead-nettle as they don't have lookalikes. They should also be available atm.

With trees hawthorn is a good early one to identify, you may have to wait a month or so though

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Probably Dandelion, Ribwort Plantain, Cleavers and Red Dead-nettle as they don't have lookalikes. They should also be available atm.
    With trees hawthorn is a good early one to identify, you may have to wait a month or so though
    Thank you both. I will mark them off as things to keep a look out for

Hawthorn is in leaf

Also, loads of stuff didn't die back this year, I've seen yarrow the whole winter and in my garden my borage and calendula stayed quite healthy.

My willow is starting to bud.
    Last edited by Kara; 16-03-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Just been for my first 'proper' forage of the year. Lots of goosegrass, young cow parsley, red dead nettle particularly. Got a nice variety. Will have 13 happy rabbits tonight.
    Twitter: @tlcwrites
    Owned by:

*Nyssa & Zara cats*Aurora tortoise*Zeta & Theta guinea pigs*Uraya hamster*
    Missing rabbits Nessarose, Archimedes, Lelantos, Galinda, Takumi, Apollo, Iris, Arce, Meadowbloom, my beautiful Elphie, & Erasmus Chipper
    Hopping Mad - Bespoke timber homes and accessories for small pets.
    TLC's Home for Wayward Buns now has a Facebook Page! Feel free to like us for regular updates on them.