• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

AKA Joey the Wise Rabbit :love:
I do agree with Joey but I look at Dennis and feel there is not much "Wildness" left in that rabbit. I do wonder what a bunch of wildies would think if I blonked Dennis in with them

Ok I will feed milk thistle but chicken hogweed is a no

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Is this a sow thistle or some sort of ragwort?
f924bab00079b1a4cb213fe0cbafd216.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

This looks like sow thistle to me and I have fed it when I can find it :D

Hello my foragey friends :wave: What are you finding in this cold, cold weather?

I've just managed to find quite a lot of fresh grass, loads of rampant Chickweed and Red Deadnettle and a little Cleavers. Two little noses are now covered in greenery :love:

Hello my foragey friends :wave: What are you finding in this cold, cold weather?

I've just managed to find quite a lot of fresh grass, loads of rampant Chickweed and Red Deadnettle and a little Cleavers. Two little noses are now covered in greenery :love:
I haven't foraged anything as of yet. I might Google those ones you have found though

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I got a reasonable amount today. Mainly bramble, grass & geranium. few dandlions, micro sticky weed & plantain (tiny bits) & herb robert

We've got much the same selection here. Differences are we've still got loads of Red Deadnettle and Chickweed. And I haven't seen Herb Robert since last Summer and I am amazed that you are finding Geranium :)

I guess yours is a special "Bonding Forage Mix" ;)

We've got much the same selection here. Differences are we've still got loads of Red Deadnettle and Chickweed. And I haven't seen Herb Robert since last Summer and I am amazed that you are finding Geranium :)

I guess yours is a special "Bonding Forage Mix" ;)

It is helpful for bonding but bought loads of herbs too. They'll be back at the vets & have gained more weight :lol:

Herb Robert grows really well in the cracks between dry stone walls around here. Nice you don't even need to bend down. The geranium patches are massive when they get going -today found tiny leaves, looked like new growth to me. My bunnies also like stripping bark from hawthorn thats budding. I still don't know what chickweed looks like in real life. Shall google an image & take a look next time I go out

Still getting loads of cow parsley, dead nettle (which is newly springing up), chickweed (quite lush) and sparse geraniums.

I have *a lot* of herb Robert in my garden, and particularly in my spinach patch!
(and why did autocorrect put a capital R in Robert?)

How exciting is it to see all the trees budding. Not long now. Do you think this spell on sunshine & warmth means we can tree forage earlier? My pear tree is starting to bud leaves :love:

How exciting is it to see all the trees budding. Not long now. Do you think this spell on sunshine & warmth means we can tree forage earlier? My pear tree is starting to bud leaves :love:

Yes, our trees are mostly all starting to bud too :love: I noticed yesterday that the Hazel buds are actually starting to open as well. Tree foraging can be done at all times of the year, as when there are no leaves then the rabbits will just nibble the bark. But if you mean tree leaves then probably yes I think they will open a bit earlier than usual. My two always find the young Hawthorn buds very tasty.

Yes, our trees are mostly all starting to bud too :love: I noticed yesterday that the Hazel buds are actually starting to open as well. Tree foraging can be done at all times of the year, as when there are no leaves then the rabbits will just nibble the bark. But if you mean tree leaves then probably yes I think they will open a bit earlier than usual. My two always find the young Hawthorn buds very tasty.

Same here, Rudey especially loves them. The problem with trees before they leaf is I don't know which trees are which most of the time. I notice so much fruit from last years is still hanging off trees this year

[/B]

Same here, Rudey especially loves them. The problem with trees before they leaf is I don't know which trees are which most of the time. I notice so much fruit from last years is still hanging off trees this year

Yes, I think I've said before but one of the walks we go on is next to a railway line and there are very many apple and pear trees, presumably where people have thrown cores out of the train window. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that some of the apple trees still have loads of fruit hanging. The fruit looks pretty manky though :lol:

I’m looking at taking my daughter foraging in the next couple of weeks. Will be taking the RWAF book recommended but I was just wondering what people find the easiest to identify.

I’m looking at taking my daughter foraging in the next couple of weeks. Will be taking the RWAF book recommended but I was just wondering what people find the easiest to identify.

Probably Dandelion, Ribwort Plantain, Cleavers and Red Dead-nettle as they don't have lookalikes. They should also be available atm.

Hawthorn is in leaf :thumb:

Also, loads of stuff didn't die back this year, I've seen yarrow the whole winter and in my garden my borage and calendula stayed quite healthy.

My willow is starting to bud.

Last edited:
Just been for my first 'proper' forage of the year. Lots of goosegrass, young cow parsley, red dead nettle particularly. Got a nice variety. Will have 13 happy rabbits tonight. :love:

Nature's larder is well and truly open round here. Fresh sprouts of bramble leaves, red and white nettles, goosegrass, cow parsley, mallow, hawthorn, shepherd's purse, hogweed, herb Robert. Plus some others I've probably forgotten to mention. Plus lots of long stems of lovely fresh grass which my two absolutely love!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Back