• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Oh right - I was thinking of using brown paper & shoving them in one of the fridge drawers. Why can't they touch one another?

The fridge would be OK too. It's best not to let them touch each other as, if one pear starts to go bad it will transfer to the one that's touching it. The brown paper would probably solve this issue.

Had a lovely afternoon foraging with Bob (not panic foraging cos it'll soon be winter at all)

The dining room table is full

Pmnbxhr.jpg
[/IMG]

& so is the crochet hammock drying chair thingy

UpGwKtX.jpg
[/IMG]

loads of sloes for gin

cKJ7VPt.jpg
[/IMG]

Didn't see any wildies out :( Did see a heron
Wow that's the biggest haul I ever seen. What you got?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

The fridge would be OK too. It's best not to let them touch each other as, if one pear starts to go bad it will transfer to the one that's touching it. The brown paper would probably solve this issue.

the very idea - I'm sure they'll all be pearfect :lol: I have made sure they all arranged with no touching under the brown paper covers. Thanks Omi

Wow that's the biggest haul I ever seen. What you got?

All of the countryside. Its the biggest haul we ever got. Mainly lots of blackthorn, ash, rowan, crack willow (I think), hogweed, plantain, hawthorn. Tried to avoid spikey stuff as its going in mixed sack & I've had enough forage wounds for one year

All of the countryside. Its the biggest haul we ever got. Mainly lots of blackthorn, ash, rowan, crack willow (I think), hogweed, plantain, hawthorn. Tried to avoid spikey stuff as its going in mixed sack & I've had enough forage wounds for one year
I trod on a hawthorn in the kitchen and it went through the bottom of my foot. The biggest forage ouchy on record

The grass and weeds near my house have grown back so managed to pick some yarrow for the first time. Think we have a new bunny favourite!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The grass and weeds near my house have grown back so managed to pick some yarrow for the first time. Think we have a new bunny favourite!

Ok so Snowy might have loved the yarrow but the yarrow did not like her and has upset her sensitive little tummy!

Have had to give her a clean this morning. Here she is hiding from me :lol:

8777874ffaa2648224de04aa7f880629.jpg

It was quite short, just above knee height. Once it has flowered will it grow any taller?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

No! I reckon you got yourself hogweed. If you dry it you need to remove all the veins & stem bits. Maple & Dennis can have those bits fresh so no waste necessary

No! I reckon you got yourself hogweed. If you dry it you need to remove all the veins & stem bits. Maple & Dennis can have those bits fresh so no waste necessary
Whys that then boobly? Hogweed scares me. My dad works for the railway and told me not to play with hogweeds as they are dangerous

Whys that then boobly? Hogweed scares me. My dad works for the railway and told me not to play with hogweeds as they are dangerous

Hogweed flowers at the ends of its life cycle & giant hogweed reaches 4 meters plus. The leaves look the right shape to me. A risk factor is whether there is a running water source (river / stream) close by - though normal hogweed can grow there too, giant almost always does. This is a fab videohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXeOTtaHMhc

I agree that looks like Common Hogweed. I've no idea about the removal of veins and stems before drying, which is clearly a technical drying requirement :) I feed all of it and it is extremely popular.

I agree with all j&b said about Giant Hogweed. I've never seen one and I think they are very uncommon.

If, the worst comes to the worst and you have picked Giant Hogweed instead of Common Hogweed, I think you would realise within a very short while because of the skin problems you would suffer and so the plant would never get anywhere near the rabbits.

From your picture the leaves look like Common Hogweed though. Pictures of Giant Hogweed show a much more feathery type leaf.

I agree that looks like Common Hogweed. I've no idea about the removal of veins and stems before drying, which is clearly a technical drying requirement :) I feed all of it and it is extremely popular.

I agree with all j&b said about Giant Hogweed. I've never seen one and I think they are very uncommon.

If, the worst comes to the worst and you have picked Giant Hogweed instead of Common Hogweed, I think you would realise within a very short while because of the skin problems you would suffer and so the plant would never get anywhere near the rabbits.

From your picture the leaves look like Common Hogweed though. Pictures of Giant Hogweed show a much more feathery type leaf.
Is giant hogweed toxic to bunnies? Or is it said to avoid giant for our own safety?

Is giant hogweed toxic to bunnies? Or is it said to avoid giant for our own safety?

I would think that the issues with the sap causing burns and skin problems are likely to be the same for any animal as well as humans.

Back