Page 225 of 226 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226 LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,250 of 2252

Thread: my foraging diary

she is amazing isn't she, I'm in awe of her

Wise Old Thumper

I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again anyway

Red Dead-nettle and Chickweed are super plants for overwintering well and providing bunny leaves, actually here throughout the year. We have a thick green carpet of about 75% Red Dead-nettle and 25% Chickweed underneath all of our kale plants. Both have self-seeded prolifically over a few years and tolerate being pulled and cut for the bunnies. Frost seems not to hurt them. My bunnies much prefer the RDN but will also eat the CW once everything else has gone.

So if you ever see any seeds for either for sale and you have some spare ground, I would really recommend getting some. Funnily enough, although both flower a lot I can never find any seedheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Red Dead-nettle and Chickweed are super plants for overwintering well and providing bunny leaves, actually here throughout the year. We have a thick green carpet of about 75% Red Dead-nettle and 25% Chickweed underneath all of our kale plants. Both have self-seeded prolifically over a few years and tolerate being pulled and cut for the bunnies. Frost seems not to hurt them.
    Hard enough frost will damage both back to ground level (kill leaves) but they'll come up again as soon as it's warm enough.
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

I've never managed to find / ID chickweed. I think I know where there is plenty of red dead nettle growing though - I'll investigate soon

self service isn't going too well from my perspective, J&B might think differently

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    self service isn't going too well from my perspective, J&B might think differently

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Haha Are leaves still drying now or is it too late in the year now?

Do you ever find Meadowsweet? I sowed some from seed a couple of years ago, which has now self-seeded a bit. I've just been looking at the plants. They are covered in fresh new leaves

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Haha Are leaves still drying now or is it too late in the year now?

Do you ever find Meadowsweet? I sowed some from seed a couple of years ago, which has now self-seeded a bit. I've just been looking at the plants. They are covered in fresh new leaves
    I got lots of Ash the other day & dried that but not getting much generally when I forage so none left for drying. I do see meadowsweet when I'm out. Last year when I had to forage all year round for Rude boy I noticed you can get meadowsweet late on. I personally don't ike the smell. There is some in there dried forage - or there was.

Boobly smells beautiful after her in box snaffling

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    My heart is in a thousand pieces for my soulmate stopped running today (22.05.13)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Buddy View Post
    shes a rotter isn't she. Luckily the box stacked on top is not bunny accessible...I don't think

They look like they're enjoying themselves!