• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

the thing is looks closest to in my collins wild flower book is (poisonous) Swallow wort

I had to look Swallow Wort up as I'd never heard of it :lol: I found it in my Collins too. It doesn't appear at all in my other flower book though. It does look similar I agree. The leaves on your specimen look thinner and more elongated from what I can see though. Also Collins says flowering June-September. Is yours hairy?

I had to look Swallow Wort up as I'd never heard of it :lol: I found it in my Collins too. It doesn't appear at all in my other flower book though. It does look similar I agree. The leaves on your specimen look thinner and more elongated from what I can see though. Also Collins says flowering June-September. Is yours hairy?

I don't know :lol:- binned it when read it was toxic

BTW the downstairs fussy buns don't like red campion:lol:

When I dog walk I usually collect fresh grass, dandelion, plantain, bramberry and raspberry leaves, and Hazel leaves, also I believe rosebay willow herb can be eaten by bunnies..anybody?

When I dog walk I usually collect fresh grass, dandelion, plantain, bramberry and raspberry leaves, and Hazel leaves, also I believe rosebay willow herb can be eaten by bunnies..anybody?

Hello, welcome to the forum and also to the foraging thread :)

Yes, rabbits can eat and usually like any of the Willowherbs.

I just planted some Hawthorn and Hazel saplings in the garden for future food supplies. Bought them from the Woodland Trust. Not too expensive (and a good cause) but then walked past some Hazel yesterday in the countryside I could've dug up for free!

I just planted some Hawthorn and Hazel saplings in the garden for future food supplies. Bought them from the Woodland Trust. Not too expensive (and a good cause) but then walked past some Hazel yesterday in the countryside I could've dug up for free!

ahh well, as you say its supporting a good cause. Technically I think you're allowed to gather leaves & plants (forage) but not uproot them anyway

ahh well, as you say its supporting a good cause. Technically I think you're allowed to gather leaves & plants (forage) but not uproot them anyway

Of course, tempting as it is we need to protect our countryside and we were always taught not to pick flowers. Not that I'm generally tempted except for the occasional Dandelion flower for the buns.

SNsNo6q

One to look out for at the moment, Nipplewort :) It's never very plentiful in the garden, but it is very popular, especially with Tethra.

We grow Kale in the same place each year. Last Autumn Red Dead-nettle decided to self seed itself over the whole plot in between the Kale like a carpet. It continued to flower through most if not all the Winter, providing food for the bunnies. Last April/May time the Kale was removed along with the now dying Red Dead-nettle and the whole plot was dug over thoroughly.

Well the plot has been re-planted with Kale and the Red Dead-Nettle has self-seeded itself once more and is again like a carpet and is in flower :) I reckon this plant is in flower pretty much the whole year round.

I'm not sure whether you can obtain seeds for it, but I reckon it would be worth growing for bunny forage. It's popular with my two as well.

Oh wise foraging thread...

I think I have collected red campion.... is this correct and is it "safe"?

93e03bc4d0e784f90a2e8a4892835347.jpg
1f9ef2366ddef17f166bd1b10636a486.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

it is! I only learnt ths one recently
Its safe to feed them? :) I only know it because mum asked while out on a walk (she normally collects forage for AM feeding). She wasn't sure if its safe so told her I'd find out lol

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Got Bob to take me to old foraging haunt yesterday (the disused railway track) as bored of all the places I access by foot.
Had a lovely afternnon, there were wildies everywhere, got 5 big shoppers rammed - 2 full of apple. There is forage drying everywhere. Bob ended the trip managing to get stung several times & flailed around knocking his glasses in to the nettley vegetation , never to be found again. We did look, though I was criticised as my "looking" required picking quite a lot of silver weed, needed to improve visability of course :lol:

Got Bob to take me to old foraging haunt yesterday (the disused railway track) as bored of all the places I access by foot.
Had a lovely afternnon, there were wildies everywhere, got 5 big shoppers rammed - 2 full of apple. There is forage drying everywhere. Bob ended the trip managing to get stung several times & flailed around knocking his glasses in to the nettley vegetation , never to be found again. We did look, though I was criticised as my "looking" required picking quite a lot of silver weed, needed to improve visability of course :lol:
OMG I LOLed XD Poor Bob XD

Back