• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

More hawthorn today!
28c78d5974251f80b4858a135357dc78.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Hmm, I don't know. The leaves of a 'hawthorn' I was looking at seemed a lot bigger and don't remember spikes on then them though I thought at the time they were new shoots I remember something about the stem colour at the time too which didn't match up but the leaf style ticked the boxes

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hmm, I don't know. The leaves of a 'hawthorn' I was looking at seemed a lot bigger and don't remember spikes on then them though I thought at the time they were new shoots I remember something about the stem colour at the time too which didn't match up but the leaf style ticked the boxes
Field maple I think :thumb:

I have another question... :D sorry

So I understand that we shouldn't make changes to bunny diet etc and introduce things gradually etc....However

In terms of foraging...I found a bundle of knapweed and its the first time I've ever found it. I don't know when I'll ever find it again. Won't this be bad if I keep changing their diet with this things I find?

I have another question... :D sorry

So I understand that we shouldn't make changes to bunny diet etc and introduce things gradually etc....However

In terms of foraging...I found a bundle of knapweed and its the first time I've ever found it. I don't know when I'll ever find it again. Won't this be bad if I keep changing their diet with this things I find?

Well I think that different people might have different views on this :) I can only tell you what I do here.

Forage is by it's nature, seasonal. So what you feed in March/April is sometimes not going to be the same as you feed in July/August. The only plants I have ever limited the quantity of at first, is the first new growth of grass in the Spring, which it is said can be very rich for rabbit's stomachs (although I've never had any inkling of an issue).

Now Tethra of course will have had eg Ribwort Plantain at the same time of the year each year. I don't limit the quantity I feed him the first time he gets it afresh each year. Tui, by comparison, has not had any of the plants previously, which I am feeding to her now. Again I am not limiting the quantity each time she gets something new for her. However, neither of them have ever developed any digestive problem with any forage that they have had.

I think it will only be bad, if they develop digestive problems after having it and tbh I doubt that they will. If you want to be super careful, put your Knapweed into a vase of water, feed a small amount to those who will eat it, and watch for any problems. If there aren't any, I'd not limit what they have. I'd be very surprised if you had an issue with forage.

Like Omi I don't worry about the ebbs & flows of forage availabilty - my bunnies have always tolerated the variety well. This year most of what mine enjoyed fresh in summer has also been dried for winter so they'll have some continuity for once. Down with cabbages & supermarket veg . Obviously watch them closely but you do that anyway

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I'm going to award myself a Nebosh in rabbit safety. I'm always on the risk assessment. I've told Boo time and time again PPE when digging in the litter box and high viz jackets for trippy uppy time

*24th August - going to get hawthorn as that's all loobers can identify*

1- hawthorn 2-grass 3-brambles 4 - Raspberry 5- Broad leaf plantain 6 - dandelions 7- knapweed 8 ribwort plantain 9 apple, 10 pear

so you know at least 10

Booby
pGCMfaH.jpg

Joey Boo & Mouse on dried forage - they are showing just as much (if not more) enthusiasm as for fresh

OfeK3Qc.jpg

Refilled my crochet hanging chair forage dryer today - its perfect

*24th August - going to get hawthorn as that's all loobers can identify*

I am hoping we will be able to identify some other forage between us:):) Looking forward to it. I've never been foraging with another bunny lover - only friends who have thought I was a bit weird picking strange, often prickly, plants in the woods, but humoured me!!!

Back