• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Yes, they are, definitely :)

Omi, I think I have seen Ash leaves in abundance .. Is there anything I could be confusing them with that I shouldn't be feeding - another tree that looks similar? I don't want to do the Cow Parsley/Hemlock thing :shock:

Omi, I think I have seen Ash leaves in abundance .. Is there anything I could be confusing them with that I shouldn't be feeding - another tree that looks similar? I don't want to do the Cow Parsley/Hemlock thing :shock:

I think the main thing that I look for is the pointy black buds, which are quite distinctive. I've looked to see if there is anything similar and the only one that is slightly similar is Rowan. I don't know Rowan very well, but it's leaves are more rounded. Rowan is also OK for rabbits, although I've never found any.

This link has some good pics http://www.woodlands.co.uk/blog/tree-identification/ash/

I think the main thing that I look for is the pointy black buds, which are quite distinctive. I've looked to see if there is anything similar and the only one that is slightly similar is Rowan. I don't know Rowan very well, but it's leaves are more rounded. Rowan is also OK for rabbits, although I've never found any.

This link has some good pics http://www.woodlands.co.uk/blog/tree-identification/ash/

Thank you so much :) I will have a check and report back

Yeah rowan leaves are loads smaller and the tree has red berries too. The ash leaves can get quite big and the bark of the tree is light in colour too with smooth branches. The sooty/black buds are a great way or identifying it. I havnt found anything that similar.

Yeah rowan leaves are loads smaller and the tree has red berries too. The ash leaves can get quite big and the bark of the tree is light in colour too with smooth branches. The sooty/black buds are a great way or identifying it. I havnt found anything that similar.

Well as the tree isn't in my garden, I can't see the branches, bark or buds :shock:

Should I risk the leaves I emailed you W&S?

yes they look the same as what i have been picking since summer. xx 100% sure. xx

Great, thank you so much :D

I shall be down the bottom of my garden tomorrow and picking them (and drying). Previous to this I had been raking them all up and putting them into the compost bin. What a waste of good food!

Great, thank you so much :D

I shall be down the bottom of my garden tomorrow and picking them (and drying). Previous to this I had been raking them all up and putting them into the compost bin. What a waste of good food!

Can you still dry leaves that are so wet at this time of the year? I don't find anything is ever dry to collect recently whether leaves on the tree or fallen leaves picked from the ground.

Loads of our Ash leaves also go in the compost. Sometimes they're just too manky for the rabbits.

I hope your rabbits like their Ash :)

Can you still dry leaves that are so wet at this time of the year? I don't find anything is ever dry to collect recently whether leaves on the tree or fallen leaves picked from the ground.

Loads of our Ash leaves also go in the compost. Sometimes they're just too manky for the rabbits.

I hope your rabbits like their Ash :)

I sometimes manage to pick way too much of things such as dead nettle, cow parsley, apple leaves etc, and I dry them whether they were wet to begin with or not. But I'll be selective and give them the best Ash I can find and report back! :)

I find that the ash i pick off the trees (not had VHD2 vac yet) dry really quick when i put them on a towel or blankets. xx i hope they love them too.x

Well they have now tried fresh ash and dried ash .. the verdict .. They love it!

They prefer them fresh, but they think the 'dried' stuff comes for free on top of their normal food so they always scoff the fresh first :lol:

Sensible rabbits :love: There are not many leaves left on our largest Ash tree now. Still they've had loads more than they had last year. Still got lots of Apple to pick yet :)

Sensible rabbits :love: There are not many leaves left on our largest Ash tree now. Still they've had loads more than they had last year. Still got lots of Apple to pick yet :)

I found another big stash of Ash nearby :D There was also another tree which had compound leaves but didn't look like the Ash. I am going to study the leaves (I cut some as none had fallen off that I could see and there were low branches) and see whether I can identify :)

Fab thread this - thanks WS :D

Im glad they loved their ash MM and thanks ive learned so much since i started this thread. I cant wait for spring when i can identify the plants loads easier and earlier too. It took me ages until i was confident on the cowparsley in case it was hemlock :oops: I can just look at my spring pics from last year. The help ive had is amazing, so thanks to everyone who keeps adding pics and those who identify the tricky ones, (mostly Omi :lol:)

Well there's not a lot left here :) The Ash leaves have all fallen due to the wind. There are a few Alder leaves and a few Apple leaves, but they won't last very long. There's a small amount of Cow Parsley and a small amount of Dandelion. And that's it basically. Roll on March :)

Back