• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

thanks omi number 1 is marsh woundwort and your right again number 2 is soapwort saponaria officinalis, number 3 does look like common reed and it is in a ditch near water too xx do you know if its safe x

thanks omi number 1 is marsh woundwort and your right again number 2 is soapwort saponaria officinalis, number 3 does look like common reed and it is in a ditch near water too xx do you know if its safe x

Good. The Marsh Woundwort will be OK to feed then :thumb:

I've no idea regarding the reed, but did find this interesting website when trying to find out. https://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/09/09/naturally-feeding-rabbits/ It mentions that marsh rabbits eat reeds, but whether it's correct or not I don't know. Lots of the other information in the article is accurate, but I don't know if I would take a chance.

What books are you guys using, if you don't mind me asking? I could do with some better ones x

I use these two for IDing wild flowers. I like them both.

Collins Pocket Guide of Britain and Northern Europe by Fitter and Blamey and
The Wildflower Key by Francis Rose

I've also got the RWAF foraging book by Twigs to confirm whether a plant is safe.

I find that I can usually manage to narrow a plant down to its family, which helps. I also sometimes have to resort to Google Images to assist if in doubt.

ive got greenfoods for rabbits & cavies by f r bell and allan trigg
wild flowers green guide of britain and europe
a field guide in colour to wild flowers dr alois koch (really old but fantastic)
rspb wild flowers
rspb whats that flower
and of course twigs way foraging book.
i got most off ebay and second hand shops, when i see a wildflower book i have to buy it lol..

Thanks guys! I started off with Twigs' book, have a couple of Collins field guides and my OH has a nature guide of the British Isles which is sometimes helpful. I'll definitely look into those other ones. It's an addictive hobby x

So, today, I just copied down a list of safe feeds from here... and downloaded some apps to ID trees/forage. Might not get much use out of it this year - but they'll still be good for future years. Who says I'm not trying to extend my rabbits' diets further again and again? :p

So, today, I just copied down a list of safe feeds from here... and downloaded some apps to ID trees/forage. Might not get much use out of it this year - but they'll still be good for future years. Who says I'm not trying to extend my rabbits' diets further again and again? :p

Do let me know if you find a good ID app tlc, all the ones I've tried have been rubbish! Xx

They never used to be majorly fussed so I guess its a seasonal thing but my buns are loving apple sticks at the moment

Apple sticks - now this is weird. I dried some apple leaves on twigs last year. Hector turned his nose up at the first one so they stayed in the airing cupboard. I was sorting out the old forage and handed one to him just to see. Well, THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD apparently. Weird animals.

Apple sticks have always been very popular here. Apple leaves are well received here too at the moment. I have been going round picking the leaves off the trees, which are starting to go yellowy, before they fall to the ground.

Do let me know if you find a good ID app tlc, all the ones I've tried have been rubbish! Xx

Most of the apps seem to require internet... which is absolutely GREAT when you're foraging in the middle of nowhere. /sarcasm. Back to needing to buy the books instead then! :p

Actually two apps that did help me yesterday - Trees of Britain and WildEdibles. The latter is US based, but of course there are plants we have over here too. :)

Oh and also - because of the app fail, any idea on this and its suitablity please?

20160902_140209_zpsdegw9vkb.jpg

Back