• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

any idea what the green spiky plant (bottom left) growing in my buns herb garden is

nsEy0cEl.jpg
[/IMG]

I think this might be Dwarf Elder. Have a look through google images and compare with your specimen.

I have a question.......

Can anyone offer any tips for distinguishing between Cut-leaf Geranium and Meadow Buttercup. I'm finding it difficult and we have been comparing several leaves from each of the two species in the garden this morning.

I have a question.......

Can anyone offer any tips for distinguishing between Cut-leaf Geranium and Meadow Buttercup. I'm finding it difficult and we have been comparing several leaves from each of the two species in the garden this morning.

you will need to call the OGAFAL on 642325 option 1 or 2 :) but you'll get an engaged tone

Are there any good resources out there for drying/storing forage for long periods of time? I have it in my head to forage daily over the summer/autumn period so that I have a huge amount of dried forage to last over winter.

Are there any good resources out there for drying/storing forage for long periods of time? I have it in my head to forage daily over the summer/autumn period so that I have a huge amount of dried forage to last over winter.

Hopefully expert forage dryers j&b and/or loobers will see this and be able to advise. Before doing large amounts though, do check that your rabbits will eat dried forage. Mine won't :)

Hopefully expert forage dryers j&b and/or loobers will see this and be able to advise. Before doing large amounts though, do check that your rabbits will eat dried forage. Mine won't :)

I never knew your buns refused dried forage. Strange buns. I'd say mine eat about 95% of what I dry, some things they are more excited for than others.

Beapig - my fave way of drying forage is by poking larger bits in my crochet swinging hammock chair that is hooked up on the wall. i bought mine donkeys ago but you can get similar for about £30 from ebay.

YPrEVXBl.jpg

More fiddly things such as vetch, plantain, hogweed, dandelions, herb robert I start off in the sunshine & move to windowsils.

The hammock chair thing works brilliantly as it hold so much as has good air flow.

Store in anything breathable, make sure its bone dry & don't seal fully. I use anything from paper bags, timothy hay sacks, boxes, cotton totes & pillow cases

I never knew your buns refused dried forage. Strange buns. I'd say mine eat about 95% of what I dry, some things they are more excited for than others.

Beapig - my fave way of drying forage is by poking larger bits in my crochet swinging hammock chair that is hooked up on the wall. i bought mine donkeys ago but you can get similar for about £30 from ebay.

YPrEVXBl.jpg
[/IMG]

More fiddly things such as vetch, plantain, hogweed, dandelions, herb robert I start off in the sunshine & move to windowsils.

The hammock chair thing works brilliantly as it hold so much as has good air flow.

Store in anything breathable, make sure its bone dry & don't seal fully. I use anything from paper bags, timothy hay sacks, boxes, cotton totes & pillow cases

This is fantastic info, thank you J&B! :D My bunnies have had dried forage before, and so far they seem to enjoy it. For the drying out process, is it possible to tie together larger things (like brambles) with jute and suspend them for the drying process, before bagging up? I'm trying to think of where I'm going to have space for the drying process.

This evening I harvested a lot of dandies, herb robert and brambles during a 20 minute walk.

This is fantastic info, thank you J&B! :D My bunnies have had dried forage before, and so far they seem to enjoy it. For the drying out process, is it possible to tie together larger things (like brambles) with jute and suspend them for the drying process, before bagging up? I'm trying to think of where I'm going to have space for the drying process.

This evening I harvested a lot of dandies, herb robert and brambles during a 20 minute walk.

I see no reason why not, just watch the areas that are bunched together as they'll dry slower or tie loosely if you can. Last year I pinned raffia along my kitchen beams and hung forage over that. Needs must :lol:

YPrEVXBl.jpg
[/IMG]

Yep, strange indeed :lol: I've tried it by itself and also scattered on hay with no success.

I know some are against feeding Blackthorn at this time of year. i regularly get them some though although only in tiny quantities. Anyway I've noticed out of a daily mix of 10 or more types of forage Blackthorn is currently the universal favourite

I know some are against feeding Blackthorn at this time of year. i regularly get them some though although only in tiny quantities. Anyway I've noticed out of a daily mix of 10 or more types of forage Blackthorn is currently the universal favourite

Is the Blackthorn in competition with other tree leaves or not? I quite often find that any sort of tree leaf is liked more than other types of forage. Fresh long stalky grass does not seem to be a favourite at the moment, which seems strange to me.

Omi;710730[B said:
9]Is the Blackthorn in competition with other tree leaves or not?[/B] I quite often find that any sort of tree leaf is liked more than other types of forage. Fresh long stalky grass does not seem to be a favourite at the moment, which seems strange to me.

Most says they get apple & hawthorn - I'm not sure my bunnies like tree leaves as much as ground level forage

Its a great year for sow thistle. The house across the road has a huge one growing through their gravelled front garden bit. Is it acceptable to do some unsolicited weeding for them? Very neighbourly I'd have thought:lol:

Its a great year for sow thistle. The house across the road has a huge one growing through their gravelled front garden bit. Is it acceptable to do some unsolicited weeding for them? Very neighbourly I'd have thought[emoji38]
I'd say definitely if you don't think they would use any weed killer etc

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Is this Hornbeam?

NjAEFxVm.jpg
[/IMG]

I don't think so. Hornbeam and Beech are very similar and I think the easy-to-tell difference between the two is the number of veins in the leaf. From memory I think Hornbeam has the greater number, but I'll need to check later (as I'm supposed to be preparing a meal for this evening atm ;)

I'll report back later :)

Are the leaves pointed? It's hard to tell from your pic.

Anyway, Beech has 6-7 pairs of parallel veins and Hornbeam 10-15. So in my view it's more likely to be Beech than Hornbeam.

Back