Page 209 of 224 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 2234

Thread: my foraging diary

Went out for 2 hours, got drenched to the skin but did get:brambles, hogweed, herb robert, grass, geranium, dandelions & a little plantain. Feeling super virtuous as wasn't going to bother but joey says the warren needs its nutrition this week as his body dealing with aftermath of vaccine, booblys GA & finally Rudey will get full benefit as he is eating his packed lunch. Joey couldn't believe his luck getting hogweed. I'm assuming whilst it doesn't grow during winter it won't die (unless loads of snow?) pretty much like dandelions, plantain & grass.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Went out for 2 hours, got drenched to the skin but did get:brambles, hogweed, herb robert, grass, geranium, dandelions & a little plantain. Feeling super virtuous as wasn't going to bother but joey says the warren needs its nutrition this week as his body dealing with aftermath of vaccine, booblys GA & finally Rudey will get full benefit as he is eating his packed lunch. Joey couldn't believe his luck getting hogweed. I'm assuming whilst it doesn't grow during winter it won't die (unless loads of snow?) pretty much like dandelions, plantain & grass.
    I share Joey's surprise at the Hogweed. Is it small new leaves or old leaves which have survived the Winter so far? Hogweed is a perennial, so the plant won't die over Winter, but the leaves might. We've still got probably the bestest crop ever of Red Dead-nettle. That's the star plant here currently. We've also got new growth Cow Parsley, Chickweed and Dandelions. We've got old leaves of Geranium, Brambles and Plantain. We've also got manky grass. No Hogweed and no Herb Robert although we have several plants of each in the garden.

its all really small & looks super fresh. Maybe new growth then. Maybe I should leave it alone. Geranium leaves tiny so I assume that means new. Its always quite easy to get herb robert here as it often grows between cracks of the many dry stone walls. I still don't know chickweed. I shall learn if its out at the moment though. I know dead nettle but I've not seen it here - it was at the old house. Can't wait for spring

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

There's quite a lot of mallow coming up here as well as white dead nettles but annoyingly my bunnies don't like either of them. Goose grass is starting to come up, which is good as they do like that. Also what I'm pretty sure is cow parsley. Still very low lying though, I need it to get taller so I can be more confident with IDing it.

Very impatient for the hog weed and hawthorn to start coming through as they're firm favourites with my two.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    There's quite a lot of mallow coming up here as well as white dead nettles but annoyingly my bunnies don't like either of them. Goose grass is starting to come up, which is good as they do like that. Also what I'm pretty sure is cow parsley. Still very low lying though, I need it to get taller so I can be more confident with IDing it.

Very impatient for the hog weed and hawthorn to start coming through as they're firm favourites with my two.

Oh yes, we've got Common Mallow still producing leaves as well. Also Red Campion has small new leaves. My two will refuse White Dead-nettle too. It must taste very different to the Red. We've also got Goose Grass, but they don't go mad for that. The trick with Cow Parsley if you're not sure is to remember where the plant was last year

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Oh yes, we've got Common Mallow still producing leaves as well. Also Red Campion has small new leaves. My two will refuse White Dead-nettle too. It must taste very different to the Red. We've also got Goose Grass, but they don't go mad for that. The trick with Cow Parsley if you're not sure is to remember where the plant was last year
    Ha! I did think that but there is a lot of hemlock around here and I always worry that a rogue one has slipped in among the cow parsley!

[IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

The trick with Cow Parsley if you're not sure is to remember where the plant was last year
    Hemlock moves around though, or at least does around here.

It's so warm this winter, most things are still growing. I got a huge pile yesterday:

(https://photos.app.goo.gl/fUMooFvVZxA6XL6U7)

(https://photos.app.goo.gl/JAdipeUK1rLsQj91A)

(https://photos.app.goo.gl/FRZzWJEH1qyx8ms9A)

Grass is constantly growing here too.
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    Hemlock moves around though, or at least does around here.

It's so warm this winter, most things are still growing. I got a huge pile yesterday:

(https://photos.app.goo.gl/JAdipeUK1rLsQj91A)

(https://photos.app.goo.gl/FRZzWJEH1qyx8ms9A)

Grass is constantly growing here too.
    Chibbs must be wondering if she's gone to sleep and woken up in a type of bunny heaven Good to see that's she's tucking in.

Chibbs must be wondering if she's gone to sleep and woken up in a type of bunny heaven Good to see that's she's tucking in.
    She had a good go at everything, then went outside to see what was happening It's very weird having a bunny so... unfussed about food! XD

I REALLY want to let them outside on to the lawn: we had a couple of in-situ binkies (like a bodypop!) from Chibbs when she first decided the run was good and I'm sure she'd binky like a princess on the lawn, plus all that grass (if they can find it among the moss). But she's such a cautious soul, I don't want to do anything too quickly Not scared or worried, just cautious We've decided to give them min. 1 week settling in time per area, so that's another two weeks before lawn time! How will I (and Lopsy) cope?!
    Last edited by keletkezes; 13-01-2020 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

So many trees have little tiny green shoots as well as ground plants coming up earlier. Whilst I should be worried its all occurring too early I'm just excited about how much easier it will be to feed my sickly boy in a month or two