Page 183 of 184 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184 LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 1836

Thread: my foraging diary

  1. #1821
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Ash & Rowan leaves (& trees) are really different to look at - which sounds stupid as Rowan is Mountain Ash I think. Neither has had leaves up here for well over a month. Rowan has very distinctive orange berries that turn red (they are still hanging on to branches for dear life) .

    Thanks J&B. I think I need you to help me here - what are your consultation rates

    Right - the tree I saw a few days ago had berries, but it's the only rowan/ash tree I have ever seen with berries.

    Wish I wasn't such a forage numpty

  2. #1822
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    10,852

    Default

    Rowan fruited like mad here this year. Found on an old photo of Rowan for you, no Ash though

    [IMG][/IMG] Study leaf shape - its quite distinctive.

  3. #1823
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    41,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Rowan fruited like mad here this year. Found on an old photo of Rowan for you, no Ash though

    [IMG][/IMG] Study leaf shape - its quite distinctive.

    Thank you, that's really kind of you.

    The tree overlooking my garden is not that, even though I'd been reassured it was Rowan.
    It must be Ash as I haven't seen any leaves like those before.

  4. #1824
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    13,830

    Default

    Just for interest .....

    My rabbits have had a very large bundle of leaves (no twigs) over the past few days for their breakfast. These have always been Apple, Pear, Ash, Alder and Hazel.

    Every day they have eaten them, based on the following preferences, Alder first, then Ash, Apple, Pear and Hazel. Indeed the Pear and Hazel get left until they can be sure that nothing more tasty to them is going to be delivered.

    It's not the result I would have predicted.
    " We will remain friends until the end of days, and one day longer"......Donald Tusk

  5. #1825
    Mama Doe loobers25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Anyone foraging for Christmas decorations etc?

    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

    Bam & Charlie

  6. #1826
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    10,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loobers25 View Post
    Anyone foraging for Christmas decorations etc?

    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    I have done in previous years. I made a well dodgy wreath last year. I do Christmas prep really late compared to most people so I'll see what takes my fancy closer to the time

    I'm impressed my bunnies had foraged tea tonight (strawberry leaves, mint, dandelions, thyme, rosemary, herb robert & kale)

    [IMG][/IMG]

  7. #1827
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    13,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    I have done in previous years. I made a well dodgy wreath last year. I do Christmas prep really late compared to most people so I'll see what takes my fancy closer to the time

    I'm impressed my bunnies had foraged tea tonight (strawberry leaves, mint, dandelions, thyme, rosemary, herb robert & kale)

    [IMG][/IMG]
    Which of these are growing wild? The Herb Robert is particularly impressive at this time of the year Haven't seen any here for a while. From what I can see in the garden we've still got Red Deadnettle and Cow Parsley. Could probably find some Dandelions. There are also still a few Alder leaves dropping.
    " We will remain friends until the end of days, and one day longer"......Donald Tusk

  8. #1828
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    10,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Which of these are growing wild? The Herb Robert is particularly impressive at this time of the year Haven't seen any here for a while. From what I can see in the garden we've still got Red Deadnettle and Cow Parsley. Could probably find some Dandelions. There are also still a few Alder leaves dropping.
    only the herb robert & dandelions - the rest I helped self to from community veg garden

  9. #1829
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    13,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    only the herb robert & dandelions - the rest I helped self to from community veg garden
    This sounds really "rural villagey" How does it work? Does everyone do a bit of the planting and tending? How large an area is it?
    " We will remain friends until the end of days, and one day longer"......Donald Tusk

  10. #1830
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    10,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    This sounds really "rural villagey" How does it work? Does everyone do a bit of the planting and tending? How large an area is it?
    Its not large, mainly big planters with strawberries, herbs, cabbage (& in summer lots of borage - is that a people food?)Apple trees & stuff then it rambles of in to wasteland (good foraging turf) before it meets the beck

    This is how I think it works. A group of women 60+ meet to tidy & garden village & plant veg / herbs for my bunnies . Its very kind of them

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •