• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

12b8c3b39de4d11bffd28268f7d3840c.jpg

Doesn’t smell like aniseed but here is a closed up view if anyone has any idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I think this is self-seeded Nigella https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigella_damascena

I saw what I thought to be the same tiny plant in our garden yesterday and asked OH what he thought it was. His view is that it's self-seeded from when I grew Nigella many years ago. Amazing coincidence, but I agree that this is probably what yours is. I can't find a photo online which shows the plant at the same stage as yours though.

If it is it will not be suitable to give to the rabbits.

Well, I think this is self-seeded Nigella https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigella_damascena

I saw what I thought to be the same tiny plant in our garden yesterday and asked OH what he thought it was. His view is that it's self-seeded from when I grew Nigella many years ago. Amazing coincidence, but I agree that this is probably what yours is. I can't find a photo online which shows the plant at the same stage as yours though.

If it is it will not be suitable to give to the rabbits.

Wow that is quite a coincidence! That would make sense though, as next door grow a lot of plants in their front garden, so it's obviously come from there and just continued to grow. It looks quite out of place in the garden but I think I'm going to leave it to see if it flowers.

Thanks, Omi! :D

I was thinking this morning, this is really a super time of the year to be a bunny. As I was wandering round the garden just now collecting their breakfast, I had four little eyes watching my every move, confident that what was being picked and placed in my hand was destined for their little tummies. On sunny morning like this, even Tethra comes out of the wind-free confines of the shed and waits patiently at 'forage corner' of the run.

On the menu today was loads of fresh grass, Chickweed, Sow Thistle, Red Campion, Red Deadnettle and a large handful of thin Apple prunings, which get eaten whole :D

I think it will be snooze time very soon.

I was thinking this morning, this is really a super time of the year to be a bunny. As I was wandering round the garden just now collecting their breakfast, I had four little eyes watching my every move, confident that what was being picked and placed in my hand was destined for their little tummies. On sunny morning like this, even Tethra comes out of the wind-free confines of the shed and waits patiently at 'forage corner' of the run.

On the menu today was loads of fresh grass, Chickweed, Sow Thistle, Red Campion, Red Deadnettle and a large handful of thin Apple prunings, which get eaten whole :D

I think it will be snooze time very soon.

bunny heaven indeed:love:

what on earth is this ?

NHkOPfXl.jpg
[/IMG]

also does anyone know if Ladys mantle is bunny safe?

Your plant looks quite showy and so might be a garden escape. It does need some water though, if only to get it to perk up a bit more to help ID'ing it.

We've got Lady's Mantle in the garden and I've never thought to give it to the rabbits. Mr Google says on several websites that it's a good plant to grow if you don't want rabbit damage i.e. rabbits ignore it. I wouldn't risk it, although it's possibly not poisonous.

I think your plant *might* be a Cuckoo Flower or a relative of. Cuckoo Flowers are around at this time of the year, but the flowers are usually paler than yours, more a lilac colour. Your plant also looks more robust than the Cuckoo Fowers around here.

thanks Omi. It was growing out of a rock, has practically no roots & about a teaspoon of soil - so when I grabbed a sample the whole thing came away. i've given it a drinkie & may stick it in a pot to see what it does before said pot becomes needed for veggies

Bunnies have a forage bonanza of pulled-up grass, hebe*, deadnettle and a ew other bits and pieces as the OH cleared the sides of the lawn today :) We also gave them some lilac as we read that it was safe but they probably wouldn't eat it. I have never seen so much excitement over something they won't eat XD They didn't eat it, they just ran back and forth between the two green dangly bits and got excited until they sniffed it, fo a good minute of two. They are not smart bunnies :lol:

*I say hebe, I think it's hebe, it looks like hebe and the bunnies like pruning it :D

Do these look like apple tree leaves/branches? I thought they were but the rabbits aren’t interested unlike the ones I order from this forum! [emoji3166]

21ea566183c809566c41a29014e9da14.jpg

Taken from this tree

c60e154342edd3e59ab2264e89c4aa6f.jpg

Last edited:
Do these look like apple tree leaves/branches? I thought they were but the rabbits aren’t interested unlike the ones I order from this forum! [emoji3166]

21ea566183c809566c41a29014e9da14.jpg

Taken from this tree

c60e154342edd3e59ab2264e89c4aa6f.jpg

I think the twigs, leaves and buds look like Apple. I've compared the veins on the leaf with one out of the garden. My OH, who is good with tree ID, thinks the tree looks like an Apple tree.

Obviously, impossible to be 100% though. Is this your tree? If so, does it produce Apples?:)

I think the twigs, leaves and buds look like Apple. I've compared the veins on the leaf with one out of the garden. My OH, who is good with tree ID, thinks the tree looks like an Apple tree.

Obviously, impossible to be 100% though. Is this your tree? If so, does it produce Apples?:)

That's great thank you! I was pretty certain it was but when they turned their noses up it made me doubt myself.

It's my brother in law's tree, he chucked a bag of sticks over our garden fence on his way home from work as he knew we were running low on bunny food!

Omi half the stuff you get I never see / not sure I could ID

Found a much closer to home foraging spot for days when I want to keep my daily outdoor exercise to 30 mins, it helps that its so abundant now

This evening's forage platter:

Brambles, dandelion, plantain, hogweed and hawthorn. Along with a side dish of fresh dill. My bunnies are elegant diners [emoji3]
ca287c70ccb26344edf60ee3bb1c10cd.jpg
f70d95c9a33370e7bdf9b89b927ea926.jpg

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

This evening's forage platter:

Brambles, dandelion, plantain, hogweed and hawthorn. Along with a side dish of fresh dill. My bunnies are elegant diners [emoji3]
ca287c70ccb26344edf60ee3bb1c10cd.jpg
f70d95c9a33370e7bdf9b89b927ea926.jpg
Elegant and lazy! :lol: Ours have to work for theirs: here's the forest we created for them a few days ago:

NoZlw0ISq0rFQum8IkZzpINEQUYQLW0LVNGF2SmpRssvgQiWUGkHIl1HBd54EkqgewA9tdedTNro1kl7pxXY8ud9NWbhsKXMpxFBdp3Qwa8bf-uoxEKOiRZn6xkCsJYniZDrKsB9E6aEMVKCyXbZX3GxCDIJcfSED2N1SjpGz8n2_j67IQFUczPTTeaoEiYwETbm9PbAFLcRmlWx9YSRpmI9ejmNhAzsuq_oBZaugRw4HEh4Ho--toXcVAXf0MlH5T4AjTWWUEnnB1rqLbHqsaIvzI0yF3zEZch-FxGnCpHbRPtr6i-pWxAbszLhaDNVFObHwQeSITfOxdKOgOLHuHYMzhsc_FWDE4GMI6y9hUA8BvWLacrvwC03pId9v5M2XbIoHlwiUu19Y_tA1md9nyXWZZ94uMWAQRd0aQEGBk0gJxuVIF4HQWs4Gm5-FaMCk44JdKw07n5TpfEoH9QtIuyh2YoaHZDTAhL7FfqYcyodFbGS36J5KPRWbMzht-c5Zy-tbGSv1alMtGgkAZIZ8n5TQ0JgH_-0nHJ11Rvq8DQ6WQO0Y0hU5_ZnPdyvhhdI2QC6_Cn1nboDuwjAMDYQ2vPmxZD5FW7c8c9p_CH-fTjL4yxRZxy2aXqxTfdYq2BkecGx09DYpwhrk7zhmdHltvoDOMBv3bZ02yhy3LzfEbigW89oHldlNoKnqcakBg=w855-h641-no

(Google photos URL for when the photo doesn't work: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fnu21NwQYgT3qyf66)

IJ41Ec62-0L-zC3DJ1orGGL7jP04C6uNwoz_JbalGlXeoVzTfthoHKGBB2T3lyJ2IHYaSNvXm65eM33XzeafTCz2E4PpUKJMCyPGVzfdg-r9Fb2Yj4zbil8PFFaEDkJh-CQ4aLyWqOML1XIUGYlk-VEim2aNvGElw0nexYDjP6OOw3Ul0RiWMHftoFABHJ-OmMe43bOMYh1PT3lVxNn-ROHt4Z0C0gbO6l_AYyq-kFqpZhvJKEURkdw9AywZT9VIClcBxn6Q-ZnKHjd8sUeNri6axI4AoCHznsQhGX7ibrdxIuNnmEGKutC2fsIuS4pfsV_I7WTIDsQ4kNOYuMpSbz0-y7z_4taV1u1TBxcw3bw0W_AZLo3zPqwUZkutTFRoKgA-iWwWcgaKwX5N6xkQ0PqMRYej9eTAMw3OzEf_radF7xfXmQHfRvppPiEtzMVy7TiOypkua1NR7tl78vx9Ubx698ze5yHK2uIEU-adOMdYCm8NSAV42H7uLNQ5dOHnPGl-4eoJeAyhVuTQhy9Y7qIQoQ860hOUSPDCGSFc-TNqmCysk9AQKUhDxBj8-uRspwoizlnnF8ZvLVf7ktTTUMUV7TxfeLqWzVSP0CPpg9cFzEPdcFD1ZsrL_PwAWCFzFkUJCEscFgZjsMyMLFIRCAJrDTrLJeRO6mcf92oePjcEDmEWFJXtx-O8UR4NBQ=w855-h641-no

(https://photos.app.goo.gl/dGgrU5QFJ66vPiVL9)

6Xuats_YYDHXT6DD5S6I1waG-L6t78EZbpcWhL7xApZo7MwSWJavQzN0nM4HtLpsFrAW0rMx28lKRtz90OtlIFZ_Q9sLfts0U9vRvhZT_INsUmcKozLbXTXA-GpcvK0r5r8cIhMdult1mI-2mel9oZ6YjJ34cSfIvBd3gRx2pi-BwNZkPAaMD57ZVuGINCqQXEL8sD3C_-_t3vkkBkm2qBzTcVo1j6Cn5OrDzdHKW_e-G3wyvMBlw0Q524AlUR7hxH4AuUpK-b3x_dkU7mIipqD-Vi-PUkrf6OGFH_-qYTMllH91v_-LLiZngtlGYDAq92TkjtdxwOSf7sOibn5ZJUMxR0o02h_a44KywDHRXM491_mvfBc2wRF85cV9sYl90TfV0CBvC4Vo4md7K5PpVyg67jM1yxyBv3DVERHdGrzs3IlAsAAv3vHyUh_8VkOJhIvJ_HPER3xUi42aKcgI8qIuJK5NsbpFnk8Qh8eiSUjD1nrm5Com54rYyV-KHPtWVyYhxEuLRMlS3g8MDk9m9D8WwSNWiNGQnnQrx410enUigZGN3RgUxaTCBS09mSSdtWt4K7prPAXZ9OhN_jIv0eOGZopJqIiNSYQTyMkCf0aTp5vKTg87FD2bnq46Ac7Z_jMCqKW1FK_RLl6tNeXIS43gdDRTilDGRwlRYwY44mRvxYeM-ElVnk0DsL069w=w855-h641-no

(https://photos.app.goo.gl/XULUzvmxMg8tCR7d7)

I've just noticed in that last photo you can really see Lopsy's weird toe doing its weird thing :lol:

Back