• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

I bet some of you are getting loads of forage already? Bob went to Hull & came back with some really lush hogweed. Here its still at micro stage

I bet some of you are getting loads of forage already? Bob went to Hull & came back with some really lush hogweed. Here its still at micro stage

No new species to what I was picking a couple of weeks ago. Most things looking much more robust now and growing more strongly. Yes, we've got Hogweed, but not a lot yet and I wouldn't call it lush yet :)

Let's talk about Red Campion :)

This plant has been producing small leaves and shoots most of the mild Winter that we've had down here. It is very popular here, particularly with Tui. It can be quite unremarkable when it's not in flower and so not easy to identify. However, it will be producing small pink flowers very soon.

So fellow foragers, if you don't normally recognise it, pick it whilst it is in flower and try it on your little ones. If they like it, make yourself aware of what the leaves look like and particularly how the many shoots arise out of the plant.

Your bunnies will thank you for it :)

Let's talk about Red Campion :)

This plant has been producing small leaves and shoots most of the mild Winter that we've had down here. It is very popular here, particularly with Tui. It can be quite unremarkable when it's not in flower and so not easy to identify. However, it will be producing small pink flowers very soon.

So fellow foragers, if you don't normally recognise it, pick it whilst it is in flower and try it on your little ones. If they like it, make yourself aware of what the leaves look like and particularly how the many shoots arise out of the plant.

Your bunnies will thank you for it :)

top tip, thank you. I've googled it & shall be on the look-out

Thanks Omi, I really appreciate that. Red campion is one I haven't identified yet and it would be great to add another plant to the menu [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thanks Omi, I really appreciate that. Red campion is one I haven't identified yet and it would be great to add another plant to the menu [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I find it's a particularly useful plant, because it produces, albeit small, leaves when there's not a lot else :)

95cd423cc79e1bd0de2ab851d05754ff.jpg

Yarrow??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

could it be green fennel?

Yes, it could be :) You'd be able to tell if it is, because it will smell of aniseed if you crush it and also if you look how it comes out of the base, it should look as though all the stems come from a single source.

Still pretty sure it's not Yarrow, as the leaves are different.

Yes, it could be :) You'd be able to tell if it is, because it will smell of aniseed if you crush it and also if you look how it comes out of the base, it should look as though all the stems come from a single source.

Still pretty sure it's not Yarrow, as the leaves are different.

Ok thanks both of you! Will take a look tomorrow, it's sprouted up from nowhere all over my front garden but I didn't plant it so just wanted to see if it was edible before weeding.

12b8c3b39de4d11bffd28268f7d3840c.jpg

Doesn’t smell like aniseed but here is a closed up view if anyone has any idea?

12b8c3b39de4d11bffd28268f7d3840c.jpg

Doesn’t smell like aniseed but here is a closed up view if anyone has any idea?

Thanks for the additional photo. I'm afraid I still don't know what it is. It's not a plant that I recognise and I've been through my wild flower fieldguide and can't see anything resembling it.

If I were you I would leave one or two plants to allow them to flower, which should make it a bit easier.

Thanks for the additional photo. I'm afraid I still don't know what it is. It's not a plant that I recognise and I've been through my wild flower fieldguide and can't see anything resembling it.

If I were you I would leave one or two plants to allow them to flower, which should make it a bit easier.

Ok will leave the weeding in the front garden for a little longer :lol: I noticed today that there are loads in next door's garden so I'm guessing it's come from there. Unfortunately won't be able to knock and ask due to current circumstances though!

Thanks for looking it up though, appreciate your help! :D

I may have spotted red campion today. Some of its flowers were pink but some blue!

Went foraging with Bobert. Found young Meadowsweet. Only discovered that last year so nice surprise as thought it wouldn't come out til much later. Also found some young reed grass which was Rudeys fave last year :love:

I may have spotted red campion today. Some of its flowers were pink but some blue!

Went foraging with Bobert. Found young Meadowsweet. Only discovered that last year so nice surprise as thought it wouldn't come out til much later. Also found some young reed grass which was Rudeys fave last year :love:

Red Campion never has blue flowers. You should have taken a pic. We've got Meadowsweet in the garden, but only leaves atm. Did yours have flowers?

Red Campion never has blue flowers. You should have taken a pic. We've got Meadowsweet in the garden, but only leaves atm. Did yours have flowers?

I never have pic taking stuff with me! It was viewed from stationary car but not anywhere I'd forage as quite trafficky .

Meadowsweet just tiny leaves so far

We've been out in the garden the past 2 days and the bunnies 'joined us' on the lawn and enjoyed safe pruning i.e honeysuckle, deadnettle, blackcurrant. Today they got dug up dandelions and ate the lot :) The docks I dug up were young but I erred on the side of caution and binned them. Matt acquired mallow (shub) willow and hawthorn for them :)

Back