Page 204 of 204 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204
Results 2,031 to 2,037 of 2037

Thread: my foraging diary

Mousey with her Meadowsweet

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Neighbour with the massive garden says he goes round removing all dandelions a few times a year & asked if our bunnies would like them. Checked he doesn't use weed killer & said yes please. Then it occurred to me they have a massive chicken residence & its likely dandelions will have been picked from nearby. Destination green bin or bunny tummies?

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Mousey with her Meadowsweet

[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Neighbour with the massive garden says he goes round removing all dandelions a few times a year & asked if our bunnies would like them. Checked he doesn't use weed killer & said yes please. Then it occurred to me they have a massive chicken residence & its likely dandelions will have been picked from nearby. Destination green bin or bunny tummies?
    I would consider nearby to be fine. All of the forage I pick for my rabbits is near to where our chickens are housed, but it doesn't concern me. Chicken poo is another matter. Chickens (and other wild birds too actually) can carry some nasty viruses and so I am always very careful about examining forage for bird poo

If it were me I would prefer to pick the Dandelions myself, but I guess that's expecting too much tolerance. Also it would be better if you could have a steady supply rather than a load a few times a year, but I suppose you could dry them.

He's probably likely to have lots of other 'goodies' in his garden too

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I would consider nearby to be fine. All of the forage I pick for my rabbits is near to where our chickens are housed, but it doesn't concern me. Chicken poo is another matter. Chickens (and other wild birds too actually) can carry some nasty viruses and so I am always very careful about examining forage for bird poo

If it were me I would prefer to pick the Dandelions myself, but I guess that's expecting too much tolerance. Also it would be better if you could have a steady supply rather than a load a few times a year, but I suppose you could dry them.

He's probably likely to have lots of other 'goodies' in his garden too
    well if its good enough for Tui & Tethra its good enough for Joey Boo Rudey & Mouse. Thanks OGAFAL - we are working you hard this year are we not.

I'm always on the look out for bird poo too. I'll probably dry an excess though Boobly assures me excess + dandelions are not a possible combination

Wise Old Thumper

well if its good enough for Tui & Tethra its good enough for Joey Boo Rudey & Mouse. Thanks OGAFAL - we are working you hard this year are we not.

I'm always on the look out for bird poo too. I'll probably dry an excess though Boobly assures me excess + dandelions are not a possible combination
    Yes, but my brain thanks you for the exercise

well I just took a lovely alternative route down windy not well used country roads. Got meadowsweet, hogweed, rowan, milk thistle, sow thistle, dandelions, bramble, ribwort & broadleaf plantain, rose, hawthorn, knapweed, geranium, vetch & different types of grass.

It looked like rain so I was wearing my coat (scruffy too big jeans, trainers & pj top). Minding my own business when a car pulls over & a woman asks me if I'm ok/ Do I need any help? I should have handed her my secateurs

Wise Old Thumper

well I just took a lovely alternative route down windy not well used country roads. Got meadowsweet, hogweed, rowan, milk thistle, sow thistle, dandelions, bramble, ribwort & broadleaf plantain, rose, hawthorn, knapweed, geranium, vetch & different types of grass.

It looked like rain so I was wearing my coat (scruffy too big jeans, trainers & pj top). Minding my own business when a car pulls over & a woman asks me if I'm ok/ Do I need any help? I should have handed her my secateurs
    She probably thought that you were picking a few leaves for your supper Seems like a good place to go though, if you can avoid interfering women in cars.

Wise Old Thumper

I am loving this thread