• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Yes it is, thank you! I only noticed the small heads in the pic on closer inspection and it just didn't match up to any of the sow thistle varieties like the one did yesterday

Been out today. Saw lots of young hogweed, mostly picked that, cow parsley, goosegrass, and dandelion. It's gone down a treat for their tea.

And my foraging boots finally died today. :(

That's pretty much what I've been getting here too, along with lots of Red-Dead-nettle and some Chickweed.

That's sad about your boots :( I become very fond of my boots :oops:

Been out today. Saw lots of young hogweed, mostly picked that, cow parsley, goosegrass, and dandelion. It's gone down a treat for their tea.

And my foraging boots finally died today. :(

I weeded the garden and cut the grass, which is all going towards the bunnies' supper. I won't tell you the weeds and amounts that I managed to get from my garden :oops:

I'm getting the same here and herb Robert too. I've spent all day taking the full roof off the aviary i first built all because of one broken sheet. They have discontinued the old ones so I've had to buy for the full roof again. I'm glad I have now though because 2nd time round I've put more roof battens up and used the old sheets on the side of the aviary.
I can't wait to paint both sets how on Tuesday in spare and cornflower blue.
I'm too achey to go foraging now they will have to have yesterday's left overs and dandelions that a neighbour brought before.

I'm very pleased with today's haul [emoji3] I got plantain, dandelion, groundsel, goosegrass, new shoots of bramble, cow parsley, hogweed, mallow, red and white dead nettles, hawthorn, herb robert and chickweed. Jack in the hedge also looks like it's starting to come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very pleased with today's haul [emoji3] I got plantain, dandelion, groundsel, goosegrass, new shoots of bramble, cow parsley, hogweed, mallow, red and white dead nettles, hawthorn, herb robert and chickweed. Jack in the hedge also looks like it's starting to come out.

That is a fantastic haul. The shambles here are only just growing but the jack in the hedge is massive. I wish it was the other way around because none of mine seen to like jack in the hedge.
It's brambles that keeps Pepe's digestion running great. He has been awful without them.

I was getting impatient for brambles as well as that's a big staple in my foraging because my buns love it and it's so good for their tummies. I suppose the one good thing about it being slower to come out is that I've spotted other plants that normally get obscured by it.

That is a fantastic haul. The shambles here are only just growing but the jack in the hedge is massive. I wish it was the other way around because none of mine seen to like jack in the hedge.
It's brambles that keeps Pepe's digestion running great. He has been awful without them.

I thought you were talking about my house there for a minute :lol:

I think the cold winter has done for a lot of the brambles round here. Either that or the council? :evil:

Either that or the council? :evil:
I find having a Matt a very useful way of keeping the council at bay! Basically the OH has learned enough about bramble growth and control that he does a better job than they do and don't always cut the bushes down these days :twisted: They don't need to because Matt keeps them in check!

Love love loving it. Just had an idyllic forage - loads of herb bobert for drying & for the bunnies afternoon tea: hawthorn, hogweed, dandelions, baby brambles, grass, vetch, rose & dock.

Given they only share a bag of cavalo nero (or similar) & a bunch of herbs each day during the winter they are very persistent in demanding HUGE piles of forage at this time of year.

I find having a Matt a very useful way of keeping the council at bay! Basically the OH has learned enough about bramble growth and control that he does a better job than they do and don't always cut the bushes down these days :twisted: They don't need to because Matt keeps them in check!

Brillliant :D

Yesterday I got a plantain mountain - and dandelions too - and am drying most of it.
Everything's gone berserk :lol:

I'm going foraging this morning. Dandelion and plaintan as that's all I'm brave enough to do! Oh and brambles. Let's see what I'll get

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm going foraging this morning. Dandelion and plaintan as that's all I'm brave enough to do! Oh and brambles. Let's see what I'll get

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Are you able to make Twigs' Foraging Day? I found that made a heap of different to my confidence :)

What a difference a week makes. Everything has gone beserk! We took E (8yo) foraging round the park today. E didn't want to play in the park; she kept wanting to forage despite given multiple opportunities to change her mind. She gets so excited about picking any plant, and has remembered a lot since last year. We got a pile of dandelion, cow parsley, lamium galeobdolon, jack-in-the-hedge, goosegrass, and more. Already got a lot of it drying in the airing cupboard, which looks like a jungle now. :lol: I've got very happy bunnies, happy tortoise, happy piggies, and a happy 8 year old (who'll be off to her mum and step-dad's shortly. Wish I could just keep her.)

Wow you both did really well there, it's unusual kids these days wanting to get dirty picking weeds and plants etc, all my brother wants to do on a lovely sunny day is sit in a dark room on his computer :roll:

I feel like I lived somewhere else last year, finding loads of good spots that completely passed me by until now.
J B & M have an insatiable appetite for forage. Shame we've lost those golden poo balls though

There’s so much lovely forage around here. All my plant pots with plantains and dandelions are in full leaf now. I can’t bear to get rid of them.

I miss foraging. :cry:

There’s so much lovely forage around here. All my plant pots with plantains and dandelions are in full leaf now. I can’t bear to get rid of them.

I miss foraging. :cry:

Sending you lots of hugs. I can imagine it's very hard :(

Back