• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Long walk today. Intentionally visited the hawthorn thats always ahead of the game - its just starting to leaf. I found what I think was Cow Parsley because I think I also found Hemlock & the stems were very different. So small amounts of hawthorn twigs, hazel twigs, grass, herb robert, dandelions, dock & geranium.

I offered mouse a hazel twig (which she rudely ragged out of my hand) while i sorted her a 'small amount of everything' to give her at the same time. I like seeing their current favourites! Well the hazel was dropped instantly so she could get the CP & then the hawthorn twig came next

Long walk today. Intentionally visited the hawthorn thats always ahead of the game - its just starting to leaf. I found what I think was Cow Parsley because I think I also found Hemlock & the stems were very different. So small amounts of hawthorn twigs, hazel twigs, grass, herb robert, dandelions, dock & geranium.

I offered mouse a hazel twig (which she rudely ragged out of my hand) while i sorted her a 'small amount of everything' to give her at the same time. I like seeing their current favourites! Well the hazel was dropped instantly so she could get the CP & then the hawthorn twig came next

Wow, so you've fed Cow Parsley? It's always been a strong favourite with all the bunnies I've had here.

I got a new one today, very exciting! Went out to gather miserable brambles, cow parsley, stickyweed and grass (discovered some lovely grass in the play park!) and found some very baby ground elder leaves! Not many, but it's coming :D

I got a new one today, very exciting! Went out to gather miserable brambles, cow parsley, stickyweed and grass (discovered some lovely grass in the play park!) and found some very baby ground elder leaves! Not many, but it's coming :D

It's a pest in the garden, but the bunnies have always loved it. The grass is really good now isn't it.

It's a pest in the garden, but the bunnies have always loved it. The grass is really good now isn't it.

Tell me about it, I think this year will be the first year I'm glad of it now I have a purpose!! Did you know people can eat it too though? Makes a good soup.

Tell me about it, I think this year will be the first year I'm glad of it now I have a purpose!! Did you know people can eat it too though? Makes a good soup.

That's interesting as I have always wondered about whether we can eat grass, it always smells delicious.so can we eat it raw?

Wow, so you've fed Cow Parsley? It's always been a strong favourite with all the bunnies I've had here.

Just to Mouse so far (J&B's initial handful didn't contain CP as Bob fed it to them & I want to waych Joey's reaction- in fact I'll do that now) but it was her clear favourite - even over dandelions. I forgot to add I picked some Buddleia - just because. When I went upstairs I could see where J&B had been fed as it was marked by 4 abandonned buddleia pieces. Clever bunnies - it must be nasty

Just to Mouse so far (J&B's initial handful didn't contain CP as Bob fed it to them & I want to waych Joey's reaction- in fact I'll do that now) but it was her clear favourite - even over dandelions. I forgot to add I picked some Buddleia - just because. When I went upstairs I could see where J&B had been fed as it was marked by 4 abandonned buddleia pieces. Clever bunnies - it must be nasty

Joey's reaction to Cow Parsley should be documented here please :)

Joey's reaction to Cow Parsley should be documented here please :)

He didn't hesitate, said it was delicious. Boobly really, really liked it. All bunnies are alive this morning. Good find Omi - thank you for encouraging me to give it a go

He didn't hesitate, said it was delicious. Boobly really, really liked it. All bunnies are alive this morning. Good find Omi - thank you for encouraging me to give it a go

I'm pleased you persevered with it. It's always been sniffed out first in any mix I've fed here with different bunnies. Also it's available most of the year in one form or other and I haven't noticed any decrease in enthusiasm with plants at different stages. So that you can harvest it early and late in the year I suggest you keep a mental not of where the plants are. I'm not sure how well it would dry. Possibly would do OK with mature stems with flowers.

I'm pleased you persevered with it. It's always been sniffed out first in any mix I've fed here with different bunnies. Also it's available most of the year in one form or other and I haven't noticed any decrease in enthusiasm with plants at different stages. So that you can harvest it early and late in the year I suggest you keep a mental not of where the plants are. I'm not sure how well it would dry. Possibly would do OK with mature stems with flowers.

I've decided I'm not going to dry it but defo a good fresh resource, especially during winter. Its everywhere. I've not got the best memory these days but have a pretty solid mental map of all the forage within a 3 mile radius of my home :lol:

I've also ruled out my fave plantain spot for this year. Its bare as anything at the moment & so the vast quantity of huge dog poops :evil:eek:n the ground I saw yesterday have that zone strictly off my list

Cow Parsley has the triangular stems, hemlock round stems? I don't want to get this wrong :shock:

Yes, Cow Parsley is sort of 'u' shape stems. They have a groove. Looks like a smaller version of celery. Have a look at the link I posted on this thread about a week or so ago which gives the details.

Back