Page 213 of 218 FirstFirst ... 113163203211212213214215 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 2173

Thread: my foraging diary

  1. #2121
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    18,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nap91 View Post


    Doesn’t smell like aniseed but here is a closed up view if anyone has any idea?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, I think this is self-seeded Nigella https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigella_damascena

    I saw what I thought to be the same tiny plant in our garden yesterday and asked OH what he thought it was. His view is that it's self-seeded from when I grew Nigella many years ago. Amazing coincidence, but I agree that this is probably what yours is. I can't find a photo online which shows the plant at the same stage as yours though.

    If it is it will not be suitable to give to the rabbits.

  2. #2122
    Mama Doe nap91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Well, I think this is self-seeded Nigella https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigella_damascena

    I saw what I thought to be the same tiny plant in our garden yesterday and asked OH what he thought it was. His view is that it's self-seeded from when I grew Nigella many years ago. Amazing coincidence, but I agree that this is probably what yours is. I can't find a photo online which shows the plant at the same stage as yours though.

    If it is it will not be suitable to give to the rabbits.
    Wow that is quite a coincidence! That would make sense though, as next door grow a lot of plants in their front garden, so it's obviously come from there and just continued to grow. It looks quite out of place in the garden but I think I'm going to leave it to see if it flowers.

    Thanks, Omi!

  3. #2123
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    18,660

    Default

    I was thinking this morning, this is really a super time of the year to be a bunny. As I was wandering round the garden just now collecting their breakfast, I had four little eyes watching my every move, confident that what was being picked and placed in my hand was destined for their little tummies. On sunny morning like this, even Tethra comes out of the wind-free confines of the shed and waits patiently at 'forage corner' of the run.

    On the menu today was loads of fresh grass, Chickweed, Sow Thistle, Red Campion, Red Deadnettle and a large handful of thin Apple prunings, which get eaten whole

    I think it will be snooze time very soon.

  4. #2124
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    15,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I was thinking this morning, this is really a super time of the year to be a bunny. As I was wandering round the garden just now collecting their breakfast, I had four little eyes watching my every move, confident that what was being picked and placed in my hand was destined for their little tummies. On sunny morning like this, even Tethra comes out of the wind-free confines of the shed and waits patiently at 'forage corner' of the run.

    On the menu today was loads of fresh grass, Chickweed, Sow Thistle, Red Campion, Red Deadnettle and a large handful of thin Apple prunings, which get eaten whole

    I think it will be snooze time very soon.
    bunny heaven indeed

  5. #2125
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    15,195

    Default

    what on earth is this ?

    [IMG][/IMG]

    also does anyone know if Ladys mantle is bunny safe?

  6. #2126
    Moderator Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    36,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    what on earth is this ?

    [IMG][/IMG]

    also does anyone know if Ladys mantle is bunny safe?
    Thirsty, by the look of it sorry, I have no idea

    Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

  7. #2127
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    18,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    what on earth is this ?

    [IMG][/IMG]

    also does anyone know if Ladys mantle is bunny safe?
    Your plant looks quite showy and so might be a garden escape. It does need some water though, if only to get it to perk up a bit more to help ID'ing it.

    We've got Lady's Mantle in the garden and I've never thought to give it to the rabbits. Mr Google says on several websites that it's a good plant to grow if you don't want rabbit damage i.e. rabbits ignore it. I wouldn't risk it, although it's possibly not poisonous.

  8. #2128
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    18,660

    Default

    I think your plant *might* be a Cuckoo Flower or a relative of. Cuckoo Flowers are around at this time of the year, but the flowers are usually paler than yours, more a lilac colour. Your plant also looks more robust than the Cuckoo Fowers around here.

  9. #2129
    Wise Old Thumper joey&boo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    15,195

    Default

    thanks Omi. It was growing out of a rock, has practically no roots & about a teaspoon of soil - so when I grabbed a sample the whole thing came away. i've given it a drinkie & may stick it in a pot to see what it does before said pot becomes needed for veggies

  10. #2130
    Wise Old Thumper keletkezes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    10,160

    Default

    Bunnies have a forage bonanza of pulled-up grass, hebe*, deadnettle and a ew other bits and pieces as the OH cleared the sides of the lawn today We also gave them some lilac as we read that it was safe but they probably wouldn't eat it. I have never seen so much excitement over something they won't eat XD They didn't eat it, they just ran back and forth between the two green dangly bits and got excited until they sniffed it, fo a good minute of two. They are not smart bunnies

    *I say hebe, I think it's hebe, it looks like hebe and the bunnies like pruning it
    The geeky one...



    Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •