Page 235 of 245 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,350 of 2441

Thread: my foraging diary

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Yes, Cow Parsley is sort of 'u' shape stems. They have a groove. Looks like a smaller version of celery. Have a look at the link I posted on this thread about a week or so ago which gives the details.
    Thanks Omi, I will go and find the link

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    Awww Tui it'll be interesting to see if this extends to other plants

I am beyond impatient to do decent foraging. Has anybun got Hawthorn in leaf yet?
    One of our early risers has almost full leaves in one spot

No bun in their right mind likes Buddleia
    I think that keletkezes said hers will eat it at certain times of the year
    I rest my case. It is well documented that Lopsy is a sandwich short of a picnic
    Yep, and Chibbs. Aboleth always shunned it. Chibbs is so daft she'll try anything, even kept going backwards and forwards between the lilac we left out, to see if it had suddenly become tasty I reckon we could feed them buddleia now while 'times are hard' so we might try this week while we're gardening.

Long walk today. Intentionally visited the hawthorn thats always ahead of the game - its just starting to leaf. I found what I think was Cow Parsley because I think I also found Hemlock & the stems were very different. So small amounts of hawthorn twigs, hazel twigs, grass, herb robert, dandelions, dock & geranium.

I offered mouse a hazel twig (which she rudely ragged out of my hand) while i sorted her a 'small amount of everything' to give her at the same time. I like seeing their current favourites! Well the hazel was dropped instantly so she could get the CP & then the hawthorn twig came next
    I remember one year getting hawthorn in Burnley really early in the season, there's a particularly early specimen at the top of Healey Heights.

Just to Mouse so far (J&B's initial handful didn't contain CP as Bob fed it to them & I want to waych Joey's reaction- in fact I'll do that now) but it was her clear favourite - even over dandelions. I forgot to add I picked some Buddleia - just because. When I went upstairs I could see where J&B had been fed as it was marked by 4 abandonned buddleia pieces. Clever bunnies - it must be nasty
    CP goes down best here, although Lopsy will sometimes favour grass (there's a particular grass he likes). Our 'leaver of choice' at the moment is hogweed, but it gets eaten eventually

I'm pleased you persevered with it. It's always been sniffed out first in any mix I've fed here with different bunnies. Also it's available most of the year in one form or other and I haven't noticed any decrease in enthusiasm with plants at different stages. So that you can harvest it early and late in the year I suggest you keep a mental not of where the plants are. I'm not sure how well it would dry. Possibly would do OK with mature stems with flowers.
    Ours go off CP as soon as it sends up a decent flower stalk, but the 'second coming' is alright. I found it dries pretty well

First yarrow today
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

I went for a forage this afternoon and hemlock is definitely up and about around here. It's quite useful to examine it "in the field" as you can properly examine the stems and see how it differs from CP.

When does willow start to come through? I only ID'd it for the first time last Summer. It was a big hit with my two and I'm sure they're eager to get their choppers around it again!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy's Little Helper View Post
    When does willow start to come through? I only ID'd it for the first time last Summer. It was a big hit with my two and I'm sure they're eager to get their choppers around it again!
    We've got budding here, and even the felled willow (about 1mth ago) has started budding We're lots of different types and pussy and goat willow are emerging ahead of weeping and white Especially pussy, so much floof (oo-er)
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    We've got budding here, and even the felled willow (about 1mth ago) has started budding We're lots of different types and pussy and goat willow are emerging ahead of weeping and white Especially pussy, so much floof (oo-er)
    We've only got Weeping and that doesn't appear to want to wake up yet.

Just pussy here

www.TrawdenSoapKitchen.Etsy.com including Boobly Bears dried forage & herb mix

I'm so pleased I've finally accepted Cow Parsley on to my bunnies fresh allowed list
    I was just googling about it & found this on the Woodland Trust website

Another vernacular name,' Mother die' or 'Mummy die', was used to frighten children into thinking that if they picked cow parsley, their mother would die. This was intended to deter children from potentially picking deadly hemlock.

Wise Old Thumper

I'm so pleased I've finally accepted Cow Parsley on to my bunnies fresh allowed list
    I was just googling about it & found this on the Woodland Trust website

Another vernacular name,' Mother die' or 'Mummy die', was used to frighten children into thinking that if they picked cow parsley, their mother would die. This was intended to deter children from potentially picking deadly hemlock.
    Yes, I find many of the alternative names for plants interesting, together with the reasons.

Cow Parsley is I think one of the most useful forage plants for bunnies. And of course they like it as well

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

The hawthorn is really starting to come out in some places now. Last night I managed to get fresh grass, goose grass, cow parsley, hawthorn, hogweed and dandelions. Not bad for early Spring, if I do say so myself.

There's a fairly recent yoghurt advert where a cat gives its owner a balloon that says "You're adequate" I really think I deserve one of those balloons!

you do deserve such a ballon scrappy. still no stickyweed or hogweed here, Joey's rattling