• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

I read somewhere, unfortunately don't remember where, that it's a good safety precaution not to feed anything that's resident of bog and the like (in the link the plant likes 'permanently wet' areas) since rabbits wouldn't normally venture to them and so wouldn't normally eat them. That obviously doesn't mean they're toxic etc., as I expect rabbits wouldn't naturally come across banana, but it's a good rule of thumb :)

he he - I don't go anywhere boggy so they are all good. I always wonder about trees, I'm guessing most wildies can't reach most trees unless they are blown over by the wind.

I read somewhere, unfortunately don't remember where, that it's a good safety precaution not to feed anything that's resident of bog and the like (in the link the plant likes 'permanently wet' areas) since rabbits wouldn't normally venture to them and so wouldn't normally eat them. That obviously doesn't mean they're toxic etc., as I expect rabbits wouldn't naturally come across banana, but it's a good rule of thumb :)

Very interesting KK :thumb:

Not sure how much I'll dry. Defintely the raspberry thats not on the table & I'll make some hogweed crispies. Boo assures me they'll get through it all in 48 hours

No but I have that one growing locally. I'd picked one piece & left it on the table with the safe stuff meaning to post it here but Bob fed it to the bunnies!

I've just got a better photo

FTTyFz1l.jpg
[/IMG] Its growing in with rosebay willowherb in vast quantities

Is it Golden Rod? https://www.ediblewildfood.com/goldenrod.aspx

If it is I find that amazing as we went for a walk through the woods looking for butterflies a week ago and saw loads of Golden Rod growing amongst.........Rosebay Willowherb :D If it is, it's safe for rabbits - it's in Twig's forage book.

Certainly looks like golden rod to me :) The little leaves I can see in the picture (practically centre of the image) look right, as do the flower spikes.

Went out this morning to get the bunnies a huge bouquet & they've decided they don't like it much afterall. It shall be dried & offered up in winter when they are less spoilt

c28sLXLl.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

They are very anti drugs though - may have been overheard me telling OH about its medicinal properties & got confused

Went out this morning to get the bunnies a huge bouquet & they've decided they don't like it much afterall. It shall be dried & offered up in winter when they are less spoilt

c28sLXLl.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

They are very anti drugs though - may have been overheard me telling OH about its medicinal properties & got confused

Looks gorgeous to me :D

They look great in a vase don't they :) Rabbits can really be so unappreciative and soooo fickle. Is that Great Willowherb rather than Rosebay? It's difficult to determine from the pic.

I picked both willowherb, mainly for the purposes of display as my bunnies aren't too fussed. They have now decided emu (we have renamed golden rod) is acceptable apart from the stalks
rk4HiJXl.jpg
it does look pretty :love:

They can be really fickle- try them on something new-they appear to like it- bring them back more the next day and guess what...... they've changed their minds[emoji36]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

They can be really fickle- try them on something new-they appear to like it- bring them back more the next day and guess what...... they've changed their minds[emoji36]

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Too spoilt :lol:

My poor buns just get what they are given.
Every scrap seems to disappear at any time of day, whatever it is :D

big knapweed haul today - this is one of Joeys favourites. He loves dried rowan & hogweed at the moment too

aiSVBOPl.jpg

For years I've dragged my Habitat swinging crochet chair from house to house without getting it put up & generally taking up space. Today I realised it would make a fairly efficient & extensive forage drying prop

YPrEVXB.jpg

Rowan,bindweed, knapweed, ash, hawthorn, something I've forgotten the name of for winter

For years I've dragged my Habitat swinging crochet chair from house to house without getting it put up & generally taking up space. Today I realised it would make a fairly efficient & extensive forage drying prop

YPrEVXB.jpg
[/IMG]

Rowan,bindweed, knapweed, ash, hawthorn, something I've forgotten the name of for winter
Wow! Dennis says he wants to sit on that chair. Isn't habitat expensive?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Ring ring

0800-omi-garden-helpline ex no. Joey&boo

This is probably a very silly question in your eyes but I need to ask.

I got lots of Hawthorn today. Generally when you find leafs and they have black spots or brown tinges on the tips what does this mean? Is it from the sun and is it safe? I have only picked hawthorn that is bright green with no marks on which is quite hard to do

Last edited:
over to Omi - I don't really know. I always thought it was some tree disease but avoid it, except when Bramble picking for mid winter stasis shenanigans - they all seem ropey by then

Dennis can't sit in my chair, I'm sorry. Too many holes for him to trap his lovely legs. I can't remember how much the chair was, I got it about 20 years ago but I do remember an awkward journey from Leeds to Hull by bus

over to Omi - I don't really know. I always thought it was some tree disease but avoid it, except when Bramble picking for mid winter stasis shenanigans - they all seem ropey by then

Dennis can't sit in my chair, I'm sorry. Too many holes for him to trap his lovely legs. I can't remember how much the chair was, I got it about 20 years ago but I do remember an awkward journey from Leeds to Hull by bus
It won't let me upload the pictures and is driving me crackers

I have some leafs that have the occasional brown spot, I'll keep trying to upload

Here's the forage that I got. I took a picture of the kind of leafs I have pulled off
7b1e386c317936d0a49af68a51bf62e1.jpg
6456398e79675a5a4a9031c9badab17f.jpg
2d806f82b3feffd7e3c8f506a15fc0d4.jpg

Back