• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Sorry I didn't see this last night. I think actually I might not even have noticed that brown edging to the leaf. I don't know for sure, BUT I would take that to be caused by the recent dryness. I thought by your earler post, when you were describing it, that it was brown spots i.e. a round mark in the middle of the leaf, which as j&b said might be indicative of a disease.

If it were me, I would feed it, if that's as bad as it gets. Sometimes, particularly with Hazel, that brown edging is very common. I have always still fed it.

Sorry I didn't see this last night. I think actually I might not even have noticed that brown edging to the leaf. I don't know for sure, BUT I would take that to be caused by the recent dryness. I thought by your earler post, when you were describing it, that it was brown spots i.e. a round mark in the middle of the leaf, which as j&b said might be indicative of a disease.

If it were me, I would feed it, if that's as bad as it gets. Sometimes, particularly with Hazel, that brown edging is very common. I have always still fed it.
Thank you omi. They really love hawthorn and I was hoping it had just gone crispy in the sun

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Went on a forage today. I have a big bag of Hawthorn and knapweed.

I saw lots of other plants today but I don't know what they are. Does anyone know?
7b203871987345e07a97969d0909608f.jpg
ac1b64a47f118c8c160afb332589c0b9.jpg
bde6d7c007b54211e9fce53acffd0ca3.jpg
6b7b7f8fbdf9c500b00951133b703293.jpg
cf97f4b432b218c9db139060b8692358.jpg
b29e71695d4e43b433541f2787b21e8c.jpg
41fe1d74c3a56797791471c6854aa1e0.jpg
e76ad2c5b76b16f5c357199d294e0d7e.jpg
112ec700aad4a366ba5ac56db537ae71.jpg

Right top to bottom:

Doggie, Ragwort, a type of Scabious, not sure - possibly more Scabious, Hemp Agrimony (left), Doggie (right), not sure looks like Beech (left), Doggie (right) and lastly Yarrow (very tasty for rabbits!).

You've done well:) So you can recognise Knapweed now :thumb:

You're doing fab Loobers - mine have never tried Yarrow - I may have to hunt some down. Get picking & drying for winter - you'll save yourself a fortune

I thought the white one was yarrow as I looked it up in my twigs way book. However i started doubting myself when I found different white flowers in the book
c91f83ffb30664573026b8da357432df.jpg

I wouldn't of even known what hawthorn or knapweed is without joey&boo helping me
19ff5947fb1b51e3af0fe1b6fe25de4d.jpg

I wouldn't of even known what hawthorn or knapweed is without joey&boo helping me
19ff5947fb1b51e3af0fe1b6fe25de4d.jpg

there is no greater gift than the gift of forage knowledge. Toby must be very proud of his mommy

ETA I think this is Syrupiness though. I'm sure they are all proud

Maybe we could go foraging together some time Loobers? I have a lot to learn and would love to be able to dry some forage for the winter. My poor buns only get dandelion leaves, roses and hawthorn as that's all I recognise as being bunny friendly. Have just been to Asda and got them some reduced herbs, broccoli, cauliflower and spinach though so I think I will be forgiven for the lack of forage today:)

Maybe we could go foraging together some time Loobers? I have a lot to learn and would love to be able to dry some forage for the winter. My poor buns only get dandelion leaves, roses and hawthorn as that's all I recognise as being bunny friendly. Have just been to Asda and got them some reduced herbs, broccoli, cauliflower and spinach though so I think I will be forgiven for the lack of forage today:)
I would absolutely love this Rhianna!

What do you do when encountered by members of the general public?

Yesterday a bloke with his dog stopped us to ask "what survey are you doing then" I panicked and said one for the council thinking he would buger off. He then said "what kind of survey?" I said different plants and trees. He replied "what plants and trees" I picked up the stuff, slowly walked round the corner and legged it leaving the nosey parker watching us scurry off.

there is no greater gift than the gift of forage knowledge. Toby must be very proud of his mommy

ETA I think this is Syrupiness though. I'm sure they are all proud
Tis sponge cakey syrupness.

Anything fresh is yet to pass Tobys furry lips

What do you do when encountered by members of the general public?

Yesterday a bloke with his dog stopped us to ask "what survey are you doing then" I panicked and said one for the council thinking he would buger off. He then said "what kind of survey?" I said different plants and trees. He replied "what plants and trees" I picked up the stuff, slowly walked round the corner and legged it leaving the nosey parker watching us scurry off.

Sorry, this made me laugh :lol:

I've never encountered any people. I've often wondered what I'd say if anyone asked what I was doing every evening using secateurs to chop down Hawthorn, Maple and Hazel from the hedges either side of my house. My go to answer atm is that I use them for flower arranging.

I just tell people that I am foraging for my rabbits and picking grass for my guinea pigs. Quite a lot of people tell me stories about theur beloved pets.

Not even Hawthorn ?:shock:
Not even fresh plantain. Everything has to be crispy. You wanna come have a word with him omi? He won't listen to me. Kind of like when I had a mash potatoe addiction and my mum couldn't get me to eat anything else. Very frustrating

Earlier this summer the council went bananas with the mowers and hedge trimmers and decimated everything. Then we had the heatwave which scorched the little that was left.

Went foraging this morning and I'm pleased to report that grass round here is making a comeback [emoji3] I came home with a big sackful of the stuff, along with lots of bramble leaves and bindweed. Not great in terms of variety but I'm thrilled to have got loads more fresh grass than I expected to. My buns really do love it and I'm sure they've missed having it over the last few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omi your so knowledgeable with forage I'm always impressed :D

I need to get back at it as I was doing well then Luna ruined it all and I forgot poor Ralph would still like forage noms

In fact I'm going to go out later and get as much as I can woo motivation

I go to the cemetery next door, there's always someone around whilst I'm 'gardening' I just say 'don't mind me my rabbits like the weeds' but usually they're in their own grief bubble to notice :/ I did have one woman hand me a bag of weeds off a grave she'd tidied and asked if they would eat that which was nice of her :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Back