• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

I got a massive bag of forage yesterday and left it at work :censored:

Luckily I wrap it in wet paper towel and it was in a cold room so I can still use it!

If anyone wants to know what hemlock looks like, there's a patch near the railway bridge on the Nott'm-Beeston canal :thumb: I was looking for forage up there and wondered why that patch was bigger when the rest had been 'used' (I found bunny poo so some other bunnies are stealing my bunnies' forage :lol: Presumably wildies, there are some along the canal near my house :D). SO if anyone fancies going to have a look and is need of a parking space/refreshment, my house is very nearby (like 2mins walk)

in situ I thought this was baby hogweed but now I'm not so sure??

IMG_5007_zpsfwd4rf5v.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It was all fine PHEW!! but they don't want the normal nettles, I remember last year they liked them but I can't remember at what point in the spring / summer that was!

I'm using all my nettles to make a plant food soup :)

I'm liking the longer evenings - more time for late night foraging :lol:

I got out again today.

Garlic mustard - actually tried it myself and my gosh that stuff has a potent aftertaste. :shock: Also got some hawthorn shoots, loads of cow parsley, loads of goosegrass, some dead nettle, some young bindweed, some lamium, a little young dock. The countryside is really coming alive. :D

I'm using all my nettles to make a plant food soup :)

I'm liking the longer evenings - more time for late night foraging :lol:

I have just been reading up on this. I was wondering whether to make some for the tomatoes, as the Beechgrove Gardening programme had trialled Comfrey fertiliser last year with good results. However, one of the websites said that the nettle soup was not suitable for tomatoes or roses as they dislike the high iron content. Did you know this?

I got out again today.

Garlic mustard - actually tried it myself and my gosh that stuff has a potent aftertaste. :shock: Also got some hawthorn shoots, loads of cow parsley, loads of goosegrass, some dead nettle, some young bindweed, some lamium, a little young dock. The countryside is really coming alive. :D

I thought Garlic Mustard was horrid, but I dislike mustard so that's maybe why :lol: Yes, the countryside is certainly coming alive. Everything is growing so fast!

We had a baby wildie in the front garden under the hedge this morning, eating Cow Parsley :D

I thought Garlic Mustard was horrid, but I dislike mustard so that's maybe why :lol: Yes, the countryside is certainly coming alive. Everything is growing so fast!

We had a baby wildie in the front garden under the hedge this morning, eating Cow Parsley :D

:love: aww

Thanks so much for the hogweed ID - I'm not a confident forager now I'm on new turf & with only tiny plants around. Its exciting though. Our blackthorn is only just coming in to flower

I have just been reading up on this. I was wondering whether to make some for the tomatoes, as the Beechgrove Gardening programme had trialled Comfrey fertiliser last year with good results. However, one of the websites said that the nettle soup was not suitable for tomatoes or roses as they dislike the high iron content. Did you know this?

No I didn't - that's interesting :)

I hadn't yet decided what to feed it to. Perhaps I'll do a bit more research and see what it would best with.

I also have some magnesium flakes (not sure why or when I got those) and can't decide which plant would like them either.

I guess I should post over on the Gardening thread- taking it off topic here :)

Ive been foraging like mad. I was like a kid in a sweet shop, my husbands description lol... he had to tell me to slow down. Ive found my very first blackthorn tree today. i will try to get a pic tomorrow to be sure but the flowers look the same and i remember someone on the threat (might be omi) i could spot blackthorn because the flowers appear before the leaves. Ive picked today, ground elder, dandelions, hawthorn, red dead nettle, geraniums,sticky willy, cow parsley, hogweed, brambles and a think with tiny white flowers which i cant remember the name, but i know is safe. oh and 2 types of baby willowherb too. very exciting times lol..

Back