• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Sticky bud: Also Joweee and Tui does it taste nice? Would you recommend or leave it

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Sorry, I know it's popular in Trawden, but NONE of my rabbits have ever eaten this even though I regularly pick it and mix it in with other plants. It always gets left here.

I do think it would be interesting to put Tui or Tethra with a rabbit who likes to eat it and see if they change their view :lol: I suspect that mine copy these behaviours.

Omi is this cow parsley? I'm getting confused because it has the same colour stem as herb robert doesn't it?
2b6a04888c7415b9d53ad8e99cc2af1e.jpg

Omi is this cow parsley? I'm getting confused because it has the same colour stem as herb robert doesn't it?
2b6a04888c7415b9d53ad8e99cc2af1e.jpg

Yes, it looks like Cow Parsley. Easy to check though with a cross section of the stem. Sometimes Cow Parsley has reddish stems, but Herb Robert is a much more definite red. Compare the leaves as well. They are different.

Yes, it looks like Cow Parsley. Easy to check though with a cross section of the stem. Sometimes Cow Parsley has reddish stems, but Herb Robert is a much more definite red. Compare the leaves as well. They are different.
Thanks Omi. Now I compared my photos I can see the difference. When out on walk though I was starting to go cross eyed. Do buns like wild rose?

Sticky bud: Also Joweee and Tui does it taste nice? Would you recommend or leave it

Joey, Boo, Mouse & Rudey say its nom rather than non nom. They always eat it up but its never favourite. I like feeeding some stuff they are a bit meh about so they don't scoff the whole lot in one go. As Omis fussy bunnies don't like just try a sample. Super easy to dry & fast

Asked OH. In his view the tree is definitely a Willow, but although he thinks it's Crack Willow, he's not 100% sure. The problem is that Willows are known to hybridise quite extensively and so he said he would need to see the tree himself, to confirm it's habit, before being able to say definitely Crack Willow. However, for your purposes Willow is fine :)

He said the other tree in the foreground of the 1st pic and to the right is not (as I thought) Field Maple, but Sycamore, which is a Maple and is fine for rabbits. https://www.thesprucepets.com/safe-woods-and-plants-for-rabbits-1239351

What a lot of new forage your rabbits can now have :D

I thought sycamore is bad for bunnies? Frances says so & she feeds hers chillies so doesn't say bad willy nilly https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/plants/plants-to-avoid/sycamore-leaves.jpg/view

I thought sycamore is bad for bunnies? Frances says so & she feeds hers chillies so doesn't say bad willy nilly https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/media/plants/plants-to-avoid/sycamore-leaves.jpg/view

Thanks for posting this. I've not seen that before from FHB, although I knew about the seeds. I've not fed Sycamore before, but that's also because I've not come across it. I do feed Field Maple though, which we have in the hedge around the garden and I also collect it from the hedges up the road. This has to be a close cousin. When I looked yesterday about Sycamore, I could only find sites which said it was OK and those that mentioned the seeds.

Sorry loobers, I would put this in the 'iffy' category and not feed.

You 2 know the cow parsley - hemlock thing? I know you will but had to say. I'm jealous of people brave enough to get cow parsley. Its very river / streamy here so I'm doubly scared

I have got both growing near here. Cow Parsley is in the garden and up the road and there is a small amount of Hemlock also up the road. The key ID feature for me is the stem. There is a definite groove, or 'u' shape in the stem of Cow Parsley, similar to celery. Hemlock doesn't have this. I can also see a difference in the leaves, but that it is bit more subtle.

Is it ok to feed new Apple leafs that have just appeared on my apple tree?

OK for Dennis and Maple or the tree? Fine for the rabbits :) I think they would be quite succulent. Our rabbits have to wait until the end of the season before getting Apple leaves, apart from the buds, which they get on the prunings.

OK for Dennis and Maple or the tree? Fine for the rabbits :) I think they would be quite succulent. Our rabbits have to wait until the end of the season before getting Apple leaves, apart from the buds, which they get on the prunings.
For Syrup-Hoppington! Can they also have the flower petals?

lovely riverside forage with OH. Saw a big fat wildie the closest I ever have (he hunkered down in a nearby bramble batch to hide from me).Clever bunny to live in such a nice place.

Got huge quantities of raspberry & geranium for drying and 2 big bags full of all sorts for nomming now.

This year I intend to dry several boxes (they are not massive) each of hawthorn, raspberry, clover, golden rod, geranium, plantain, hogweed crispies then do a few mixed forage sacks with timothy hay bags.

Is forage good for wearing down rabbits back teeth?

One of our rabbits has dental problems and were trying to find a hay she will eat but we’re planning on filling our garden with grass and wild plant seeds from shelled warriors as she happily eats that when she’s outside.

Is forage good for wearing down rabbits back teeth?

One of our rabbits has dental problems and were trying to find a hay she will eat but we’re planning on filling our garden with grass and wild plant seeds from shelled warriors as she happily eats that when she’s outside.

I think grass is the best option as it uses the same tooth motion as hay

lovely riverside forage with OH. Saw a big fat wildie the closest I ever have (he hunkered down in a nearby bramble batch to hide from me).Clever bunny to live in such a nice place.

Got huge quantities of raspberry & geranium for drying and 2 big bags full of all sorts for nomming now.

This year I intend to dry several boxes (they are not massive) each of hawthorn, raspberry, clover, golden rod, geranium, plantain, hogweed crispies then do a few mixed forage sacks with timothy hay bags.

You are lucky finding lots of Raspberry. I've never seen it growing wild. Do you pick the Raspberries as well later on?

Back