• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

You go Scrappy! I sound about as green fingered as you. I tried sprouts which I planted out too early & got obliterated in to non existence by slugs. Expecting my kale to go the same way . I am currently getting excited about my coriander & basil seeds coming to life - they are staying in back porch where the slugs don't come (yet) & there's loads of light . Where do you get the timothy grass seed. rudey loves grass

Thanks J&B. Mucho vibes for your basil and coriander!

I got the grass seeds from the hay experts. I've also had a look at Galens Garden and they've got a bigger range of different types of grass seeds and other plant seeds. I might do an order from there soon, see if I can expand my repertoire!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Its that time of year when I start getting in a panic about being unprepared for winter. I think the smell of dried forage is driving Joey & Boo nuts so of course they constantly beg & I can't refuse as they are my neglected upstairs bunnies. Sounds obvious but 4 bunnies eat so much more than 3:lol: And it takes up so much room.

Still its sunny, I've no plans, I should make it my mission to forage today like i never foraged before.

Has anybun else got forage dried & stored for winter?

Thanks J&B. Mucho vibes for your basil and coriander!

I got the grass seeds from the hay experts. I've also had a look at Galens Garden and they've got a bigger range of different types of grass seeds and other plant seeds. I might do an order from there soon, see if I can expand my repertoire!

Scraps - does the grass seed grow all year or is it like regular grass that is seasonal? Could it be grown on window sils in winter for instance?

Walked in to town then caught bus to where I used to live. Got 4 huge bags rammed full, mainly with apple & weeping willow

willow, ash & raspberry

QA5tzULl.jpg

apple
i7KdlPSl.jpg

Scraps - does the grass seed grow all year or is it like regular grass that is seasonal? Could it be grown on window sils in winter for instance?
Sorry didn't see this earlier. If I understood the instructions correctly, you can grow the grass on window sills at any time of the year. I put mine in pots and it grew fine, although it did seem to take forever before I started seeing green shoots.

I say forever. It was actually only a week. Unfortunately, I'm very impatient!

Thanks Scrappy. Soon my window sils will be devoid of drying forage so it makes sense to use the space for growing grass. Just had about 8 caterpillars appearing on my indoor kale. Goodness they are hungry.

Maples I would so love for you to come for a sleepover. You can have the guest room with denny & spend the night doing carpet zoomies & snoozing on a bed of apple

Bob woke me up very early to show me Boo stood on the unit below the forage dryer, fully upstretched to nick the willow. She has the most perfect white little belly :love:

Not enjoying it anymore cos its cold & wet. Still managing to get a fair amount most days. Saturdays menu is grass, bramble, blackthorn, dandelions, meadowsweet (surprised to see that), plantain, mint procured from community garden, geranium stolen from another garden, tiny bit of vetch & sow thistle

prZfWSDl.jpg

oxmAk4Fm.jpg
InowmuPm.jpg

No, it's not the pleasant pastime that it was :) It's 'orrible out there today in fact. My Meadowsweet in the garden has gone into hibernation for the year, so yours must be very brave.

Good wholesome bunny food though :love:

I know it doesn't grow in winter but it doesn't die?

Some grass species are perennial and so the plant won't die, but others are annual and will rely on seeds produced the previous autumn. Are you thinking of growing some? If so, I'll check which ones in my grass identification book :)

Some grass species are perennial and so the plant won't die, but others are annual and will rely on seeds produced the previous autumn. Are you thinking of growing some? If so, I'll check which ones in my grass identification book :)

that's good news - thanks. I was just wondering why I can't pick grass for Rudey through the winter but maybe I can

that's good news - thanks. I was just wondering why I can't pick grass for Rudey through the winter but maybe I can

Yes, you'll be able to find some, but it might look and feel a bit limp and manky. And of course as you said it won't grow, so once you've picked an area you will need to find a new patch.

We can get decent grass all year along the canal, but if it's a prolonged cold spell (or snow-cover from longer than a couple of days) it goes yellower, browner, and limper :S Bunnies don't care though, it's still better than hay in their opinion. But I try and weed out the yellow and brown bits!

thanks - its more positive than I anticipated. Its a 5 minute walk to the start of a series of winding, little used roads so miles & miles of grass verges

Back