Page 223 of 223 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223
Results 2,221 to 2,228 of 2228

Thread: my foraging diary

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I must admit I do get a kick that most things in the garden find a use. Leaves and plants generally for the bunnies. Fallen apples for the chickens and wild birds. And of course all of the insects which use the plants for food and shelter. Plus of course we get to eat lots of the stuff which is growing.
    We understand, we are the same! We're rearranging our entire garden to 'useful' things Which means I cab get rid of most of the boxes, I hate them We've got plenty of things to replace them which are much better in other ways
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Wise Old Thumper

Has anyone fed Elm twigs and leaves? I can't remember ever feeding it previously and of course we don't have much in the garden. Couldn't find much information online, but the one site I did find said that it was good for digestive problems (possibly only as much as any leaves would be) but that it was unpopular.

Well OH pruned some today and both rabbits like it....a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Has anyone fed Elm twigs and leaves? I can't remember ever feeding it previously and of course we don't have much in the garden. Couldn't find much information online, but the one site I did find said that it was good for digestive problems (possibly only as much as any leaves would be) but that it was unpopular.

Well OH pruned some today and both rabbits like it....a lot
    No - never considered it but you've inspired me to one - find out if I can ID some, two - hunt it down. What type of Elm is yours?

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    No - never considered it but you've inspired me to one - find out if I can ID some, two - hunt it down. What type of Elm is yours?
    No idea It's one of the healthy Elm trees growing in the perimeter hedge. I'll ask OH when he comes in. He uses the stripped bark as twine for tying up plants, but it is only any good if it hasn't dried out. So he'd cut a branch and put it in the bucket of water containing the last of the Apple twigs next to the run. I was aware of Tui twisting and straining to get her teeth into one of the leaves which she could just reach through the mesh

Wise Old Thumper

OH not 100% sure which Elm we have. The trees were all here when we arrived. He said he thinks it is Wych Elm, but can't be sure.

could this be elm?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    could this be elm?
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I've just compared your pic with one of our leaves and they do look very similar i.e. veins are alternate and they are the same number, plus the edges are toothed. Are your leaves rough on the top side? Are your stems hairy? And are the leaves alternate up the stem? I think if you have all these three, it is *very probably* elm.

It kinda looked elm like but only going of quick google last night. The veins are alternate & same number. Rougher than tree leaves I'm used to it but I still wouldn't describe as rough. Stems very slightly hairy.

I'd had a little forage on the way home this morning & got that potential elm & set it aside to consult yourself. I forgot though & put all the beasts in togther with half my haul & noticed Mousey woolfing it down - I removed what was left of the leaf & she told me off. So it has that in common with your elm too

Trees are so complex. I only get confidence when they fruit & not always then