• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

my foraging diary

Gorgeous day so thought I'd see whats out there. Got quite a lot today: geranium, raspberry, plantain, hogweed, bindweed, vetch, willow, dandelion. Also sow thistle which took some finding. I dreamt I found loads of sow thistle so felt I had to get some in case it was a sign :lol:
Its weird how many trees (rowan, hawthorn, ash) just have seeds or fruits dangling & no leaves at all.

There's still quite a bit here to be had, but you have to look a bit harder. Things like Cow Parsley look very weak plants also. I'm making use of leaves mostly as an everday feed now as they are plentiful and still mostly on the trees, but gradually falling. I've got Apple, Ash and Alder in the garden.

We have a massive Ash tree in the garden, but I don't think I've ever found Rowan around here. This link makes it sound easy to distinguish between the two: Whether the leaves are opposite or alternate should be the key I think.

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-8zsjbc

Thank you Omi

However, I am still confused :?

I looked at this page to get an idea of what Rowan looks like:

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/vi...nd-wildlife/british-trees/native-trees/rowan/

and if you look at the 'leaflet' picture, it's just like Ash?

In photos I've seen, the leaves grow opposite one another in both trees... Hmmm

Thank you Omi

However, I am still confused :?

I looked at this page to get an idea of what Rowan looks like:

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/vi...nd-wildlife/british-trees/native-trees/rowan/

and if you look at the 'leaflet' picture, it's just like Ash?

In photos I've seen, the leaves grow opposite one another in both trees... Hmmm

You're not confusing leaf with leaflet are you? As far as I can see the leaflets in both Rowan and Ash are opposite, but the leaves (i.e. the structure holding the leaflets) apparently are different, one being opposite and one being alternate.

You're not confusing leaf with leaflet are you? As far as I can see the leaflets in both Rowan and Ash are opposite, but the leaves (i.e. the structure holding the leaflets) apparently are different, one being opposite and one being alternate.

Well safe to say I think I AM confused :?

I have what I think was Rowan (I was told so years ago) but it may now be Ash.
In the grand scheme of things, since both are safe, I don't think it really matters though ..?

But thank you for your help Omi :wave:

Anyone tried drying chickweed? There's a TON of the most awesome-looking chickweed by the canal and I'm hoping to snaffle the lot* before the frost gets it, but there's no way the buns should be eating their own body size in chickweed (whatever the OH might think :lol:), so I'm wondering how well it dries?

* Obviously not all of it in the area, just the really awesome bits along the path!

cba to read all the thread (sorry) but would just like to say how much my bunnies have always liked tree leaves. Especially apple, pear etc but i've got a shrub that has VERY unappetising looking leaves & they munch those too. They are outside on the lawn all day which lots of nice stuff to choose but even so I would say they eat at least 10 leaves each per day. Could easily be double that. I think it must be good for roughage/digestion.

- just saying, as if i ever had a situation where they were not able to access leaves i would gather some for them.
It's nice leaves they like, wet or dry, just as long as they're fresh.

also, when a branch of the apple tree fell down, they stripped (& ate) pretty much all the bark off it. Strange, cos they have never nibbled the trunk that i have noticed.

Anyone tried drying chickweed? There's a TON of the most awesome-looking chickweed by the canal and I'm hoping to snaffle the lot* before the frost gets it, but there's no way the buns should be eating their own body size in chickweed (whatever the OH might think :lol:), so I'm wondering how well it dries?

* Obviously not all of it in the area, just the really awesome bits along the path!

Yes I do :wave:

Bit lacy, but then so is cow parsley when dried.

I got *loads* today. The buns can't eat it all this week :lol:

cba to read all the thread (sorry) but would just like to say how much my bunnies have always liked tree leaves. Especially apple, pear etc but i've got a shrub that has VERY unappetising looking leaves & they munch those too. They are outside on the lawn all day which lots of nice stuff to choose but even so I would say they eat at least 10 leaves each per day. Could easily be double that. I think it must be good for roughage/digestion.

- just saying, as if i ever had a situation where they were not able to access leaves i would gather some for them.
It's nice leaves they like, wet or dry, just as long as they're fresh.

also, when a branch of the apple tree fell down, they stripped (& ate) pretty much all the bark off it. Strange, cos they have never nibbled the trunk that i have noticed.

My rabbits and I are all very much big fans of tree leaves. I also think they must be good for digestion. I would say atm I am feeding roughly an equal quantity of tree leaves to forage. They also enyoy stripping the bark from branches, especially when the branch is freshly fallen.

Does OGAFAL or anybun else know what this might be?

jbW6aPSl.jpg

Where was it growing? Is it bush-like or tree-like? The leaves look like a black or red currant to me.

Fabulous, thanks so much. I was hoping it was blackcurrant. It had tiny black berries (much smaller than my garden blackcurrant) & outside the leaves did smell a little blackcurranty.

Its very tall & spindly, grows against the wall by a beckside path. You reckon on that basis its safe to feed?

Fabulous, thanks so much. I was hoping it was blackcurrant. It had tiny black berries (much smaller than my garden blackcurrant) & outside the leaves did smell a little blackcurranty.

Its very tall & spindly, grows against the wall by a beckside path. You reckon on that basis its safe to feed?

It sounds to me that it's safe to feed as blackcurrant. What I would do is to firmly crush one of the leaves and smell it (if that's not what you did) and also I personally would taste one of the berries (spitting it out afterwards). I can't think of anything else it could be, especially as there are also berries.

It sounds to me that it's safe to feed as blackcurrant. What I would do is to firmly crush one of the leaves and smell it (if that's not what you did) and also I personally would taste one of the berries (spitting it out afterwards). I can't think of anything else it could be, especially as there are also berries.

thanks ogafal - much appreciated

Might be a flowering blackcurrant: looks just like mine, which also has small black berries (currants) and they're relatively partial to it :)

Impressed self with a winter forage yesterday & got half decent amount of sow weed, that blackcurranty thing, plantain, dandelions, vetch & brambles

o6CYpAel.jpg

The weather has turned really mild here, and cow parsley is sprouting like nobody's business :lol:
Dead nettle as well - a good haul for me yesterday.

I still don't know the difference between ash and rowan, and I even asked someone far more expert than me, in a rural area with examples, and it was still difficult to be sure. So long as I am not poisoning them with the leaves that look like ash or rowan (ie there's no poisonous variety that mimics it?) then all is well :)

The weather has turned really mild here, and cow parsley is sprouting like nobody's business :lol:
Dead nettle as well - a good haul for me yesterday.

I still don't know the difference between ash and rowan, and I even asked someone far more expert than me, in a rural area with examples, and it was still difficult to be sure. So long as I am not poisoning them with the leaves that look like ash or rowan (ie there's no poisonous variety that mimics it?) then all is well :)

Ash & Rowan leaves (& trees) are really different to look at - which sounds stupid as Rowan is Mountain Ash I think. Neither has had leaves up here for well over a month. Rowan has very distinctive orange berries that turn red (they are still hanging on to branches for dear life) .

Back